The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photokina Roundup from Hasselblad

Hi Forum,

Even though I posted a rather rough news from Photokina, ill expand on that and be a bit more comprehensive.

First, new products. (All of this is in my own words, but you can find the official stuff in a link at the bottom)

Lenses

We announced and showed the new HC50II and HC120II. Both of these lenses have been completely redesigned optically. The exterior dimensions are the same.

Performance on the 50 is much improved and in particular with the HTS. Lens Correction calculations have already been made and are included in Phocus 2.6.

The HCD120II lens has an increase in resolution and an improvement in axial chromatic aberration.

Digital Products

The CFV has now been fitted with the same 50MP sensor as in the H4D.

The H3D31 has now been updated to H4D specification. ie True Focus, Larger USER and TF buttons, brighter AF assist light.

We will also have some new firmware features for the whole H4D range...

• Electronic Spirit Level (In three Dimensions)
  • Visible preview on the back of the camera in tethered mode
  • Information on the rear LCD (Aperture, Shutter, etc etc)

Multi shot technology has been expanded to a new six shot mode which will give us a 200MP file from a 50MP sensor.

I won't add to much more on that before I get a little more R&D background so I can be specific with answers! Suffice to say the sample images we had at Photokina were very well received.

This will be on the H4D50MS only as an optional feature. There will also be an option to upgrade existing models.

Software

Phocus 2.6 will include...

• Dust Removal. Dusting on batches of images.
  • Import / Export of image adjustments to other work stations
  • Support for Phocus Mobile
  • Star rating for approval. Additionally to the Phocus three colour system there is now a LR-esque five star system.
  • Windows support of TIFF and JPEG files. We are looking into more solutions for third party files on this platform.

A 'Phocus Quick' solution for rapid import and export of images to produce printable JPEGs. Windows only currently.

The most exciting part is Phocus Mobile!!

This is an iPad and iPhone application which will remotely connect to the host computer during tethered shooting.

As the photographer shoots, preview files are immediately sent to the iPad for viewing. Its fast!

The iPad user can pinch to zoom in a little (100% view in development), swipe to move through the image folder, rotate for landscape / horizontal view, rate photographs using the new 5 star rating - which then syncs to the host computer.

Finally there is a virtual camera interface for adjusting the camera and capturing images! See screen grab.

Camera control can be disabled if you don't want your AD to take over the shoot. ;)

Images can be emailed from the iPad and we are thinking about adding some link to the "Cloud". ie Dropbox or MobileMe.

Its a very nice implementation of the iDevices and was very popular at Photokina!

Available free from the App store after it goes through Apple Certification.

For the fun stuff...

We are experimenting with some thoughts on a custom shop. So we made a White (not black!) and a naked camera in just its steel underclothes.

Picture of the white one attached, or now fondly known as "The Storm Trooper" due to obvious reasons.

These are not available products but more to gauge if people would be interested in something other than the norm. (Yes, I know you would like a black one. ;) )

The White one was ordered many times over, even though there is no final decision on availability. We will have to see.

Finally we have a partnership with Ferrari which saw the release of an H4D40 in Ferrari red. Available as a limited run.

We also had a Ferrari California on stage which we did some captures of. Ill post some when they arrive back from Germany!

I think that is it. It was a very busy show and I was surprised how high the visitor numbers were again.

All the best,

David

PS. If you want to see all the detailed press releases, go here...

http://press.hasselblad.com/press-releases/press-releases-2010.aspx

PeterA

Sounds great David!

Almost enough to get me to upgrade to a 4D series! I need a 50mm - I don't need a California -where do I put my golf sticks?? - oh yeah the blonde carries them on her lap..:ROTFL::ROTFL:

tjv

I'm really very interested in the H4D31 but I wonder if that generation back / sensor is a wise investment considering the H4D40 has been said to have much improved performance in all areas over the model it replaced. I know it's a cost and personal preference thing, but for someone entering into specifically a Hasselblad MFD system, other than 9mp what am I really going to miss with the H4D31? If I shoot at 100iso 50% of the time and never over 400iso, am I going to wish I'd ponied up for the H4D40? What else am I missing?

T

tetsrfun

I don't need a California -where do I put my golf sticks?? - oh yeah the blonde carries them on her lap.
The rear seat back folds down and two golf bag can be placed in the boot. :>)

Steve

tjv

Not that I've got the cash ready to plonk down right this very minute, but isn't it a bit strange that Hasselblad has been stating since its Photokina announcement that the H4D-31 is available NOW, yet, a month later, no one has seen it? I've been searching the net for more information as I've pretty much decided I'm going to buy it instead of stretch to the H4D-40, but internet chatter is totally dead.
Anyone got any news?

tjv

Perhaps these companies need a lesson in marketing? Hasselblad / Leica, et al, if you announce a product AND state it is ready to ship, make sure you have actually built and packaged it!
I've tried to get a price here in NZ but thus far the distributor doesn't even know what the camera is!

Professional

I have the exisiting 50mm and 120mm. Is there an upgrade offer to swap out old for new? Just the 50mm would do. Quentin
I don't have 50mm but i have the existing 120mm, i bought it about 2 months ago, i didn't know that Hasselblad will produce newer version of it, so what i can do to get that new as well? If to sell then i will forget as i may not get a good price selling it and then i have to add more to get the new.

S

salaamss

hi tjv

me too, i've also ordered the hd431 and thus far no camera??
Hi, I am probably one of the first to receive the H4D31 and it is a true beauty. I love the results compared to my D700 and Leica M9. A big upgrade honestly!
However I sometimes do wonder whether the H4D40 would have been a wiser investment. Apparently it performs better at higher ISO. The question is whether you would put an H4D into any practical use above 400 ISO???? Can someone out there tell us??? I personally do not think so. For that use your D3/D700 or 5D I guess.

BlasR

well I guess they make a mistake in its Q4 2011, David took of in run with my question. Its ok David to tell me you don't know yet.

BlasR

Iskander

Re: Phocus 2.6

I've got a mail from Hasselblad 3 weeks ago.

... Phocus 2.6 which we
currently plan to release early next year.

We have to wait a little bit.

Michael

etrigan63

I think that means around now, Michael. I am eagerly awaiting this update so I can compare it to Capture Pilot which works very well.