The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase Camera Body, Back and Programs in the Works...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks for this link - indeed very interesting information! This will hopefully start to bring the MF market into movement again and prices down!

If Phase really brings a newly designed camera (the body - even the DF body is not what I want and expect) then their MF product line will become interesting again for many who still cannot get friend so far (like myself).

I do hope that they will offer then also great tradi in programs for 3rd party MF systems :eek:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I love this line right here and I quote

“That means that anybody that buys a new Phase One digital back from now, will get 90% of that value back within the next 18 months if we release a new Phase One back.”

Guy Mancuso

This is pretty darn good folks

The programme, which functions similarly to a trade-in offer, is available for all Phase One’s products – from digital backs to camera bodies, lenses and software. “If we introduce a new back in January, the customer that has bought our current back between now and January will then have six months to make up his mind whether he wants to buy a new product or not. If he decides to upgrade, we will give him 90% of his old back.”

A similar offer is also available for Phase One’s camera body, says Håkonsson. “If we come out with a DF2, we’ll give him back 50% of the DF camera price,” he tells BJP. Customers wishing to buy a newly-released lens will also benefit from a 50% cash-back offer if they trade in any lens purchased in the past 18 months.

Guy Mancuso

This will dispel some rumors that MF is dead

All-in-all Håkonsson is confident about Phase One’s prospects. “We’re up 50% this year,” he tells BJP. “We take that as a signal that medium format market is getting better.”

pcunite

“That means that anybody that buys a new Phase One digital back from now, will get 90% of that value back within the next 18 months if we release a new Phase One back.”
This could be a very impressive offering... It also tells me Phase just wants some cash-flow. Good thing for people seeking MFD options.

Qamaro

This will dispel some rumors that MF is dead

All-in-all Håkonsson is confident about Phase One’s prospects. “We’re up 50% this year,” he tells BJP. “We take that as a signal that medium format market is getting better.”
Guy,

I caught that line as well it bodes well for Phase; as companies that can spend on innovation during economic downturns, are better positioned for the turnarounds.

-Marq

Guy Mancuso

I knew about the body but not the program and sales numbers are up. It does look good for Phase and my bet Hassy is looking good also. All good news for the industry

I don't wish to intrude on a Phase thread, but for the sake of accuracy in the article the following quote...

The programme is reminiscent of a similar trade-in deal Hasselblad used to offer to its customers. However, Hasselblad discontinued the programme in late 2008 in a bid to lower the price of its integrated medium format systems.

...is incorrect as we still very much offer a trade in program for our own products and competitors products.

Thats all,

David

KETCH ROSSI

I think this is great and it is a Vital program, which will continue to insure MF user with a safer investment on their Pro gear.

Usually when I buy something I never expected a company to take it back and give me that much credit for it, once I have used and made the money back 10 folds, but I'll take it ;)

narikin

Yeah they HAVE to do something like this in the face of the Pentax 645D, and Hasselhof's discounted MF release.

the only other answer it to be clearly better/ more featured, and though Phase have probably the best sensor (MP + DR) out there, the rest is not innovative in the least.

Guy Mancuso

Yeah they HAVE to do something like this in the face of the Pentax 645D, and Hasselhof's discounted MF release.

the only other answer it to be clearly better/ more featured, and though Phase have probably the best sensor (MP + DR) out there, the rest is not innovative in the least.
I have a feeling with the new sensor they may just bite the bullet and completely redesign the back for features we been screaming for BIGGER LCD. There is just no way with the new sensor Phase will not use it. Just look at the P65+ with a offspring of a P40+. Clearly a way to get double mileage out of one sensor build

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I have a feeling with the new sensor they may just bite the bullet and completely redesign the back for features we been screaming for BIGGER LCD.
I certainly hope so ... the current design is pretty long in the tooth and the LCD is pretty pathetic - small and poor resolution.

Haven't used a Leaf back but they look pretty good. Maybe they should adapt that design.

hcubell

The body will be unique are the rumors I hear
I do hope that it will represent a completely clean break from the existing AFD based platform. A completely new design like the Leica S2 is. The S2 is reputed to have cost $25m in development costs.

N

normanchoi

Hello All, this is my first post. I am in the market for a MF camera and I really am hoping that the new Phase body will have somewhat similar form factor as the S2.

Mr Guy, when you said the body will be unique, can you share with us on the details and the expected launch date?

Thanks,

Norman

Guy Mancuso

All I got was unique as a answer. I wish i had more data and a timeline. My bet though there will be some kind of upgrade path from the DF which their was one for existing back owners of the AFDIII for 1500 dollars which is a nice deal. ( I should qualify this it was owners that bought back, body and lens kits)

Bottom line if you read between the lines with all this new insurance packages is Phase wants to keep you as a customer so they will always offer these incentives to upgrade and keep you in the system. Frankly it is a smart thing to do all around. You can sit out a upgrade and wait or move on one. This is how I got my P40+ was through a upgrade path and I will most likely upgrade again. So yes Phase loves folks like me that keep upgrading. No 35mm OEM does anything like this so buying Leaf, Phase and Hassy are more value added user incentives to buy in.

Norman if you buy today you can pretty much be sure there will be a upgrade path coming.

narikin

I too am a regular upgrader, but will wait this one out. I do want 80Mp, but think it will be in a new Phase back soon enough. That is worth the wait.

Outside of the 80mp+ sensor with even better DR, I am hoping for:

- some way to 100% check focus on the back, even if its just a central spot area. i.e. on screen live view, even briefly.
- which requires a better screen
- and/or the ability to preview on an external device like iPad (not tethering and process, just view)
- faster frame rate
- lighter.
- integrated power with the (new?) camera so I dont need to carry two power sources & chargers around
- something genius I hadn't even dreamed of, like EVF connection point.