The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf vs Phase

GMB

Can someone enlighten me what are the difference between the LEAF and the Phase backs, in particular regarding image quality. If I understand correctly, the new Phase backs also use a Dalsa sensor.

Also, both Phase and Leaf specify that operating temperatures for their backs range from 0-40 degrees Celsius. Does that mean one cannot use them at lower temperatures?

Thanks.
Georg

Tim Ernst

A perfectly valid question - I'd love to hear some thoughts from folks who have shot both as well - especially about the image quality...

Last edited:
Anyone here shoot with a recent model of Leaf? Besides image quality I would like to know how the sensor rotation feature works if anyone has an "R" version of the II 10 - does the sensor actually rotate inside the camera, or is it just an electrical thing? And how long does this take, and have you had any issues with this? I realize this can't be used with a Phase or Mamiya camera, but it seems like a terrific feature on a tach camera.

David K

Workshop Member
The sensor rotation on the Leaf is a breeze to use. Simple thumbwheel physically rotates the sensor inside the camera... takes no time at all. Frankly, I think it's an even better solution than the rotating back on my Sinar kit.

delled

I concur with David K. In addition, in my AFI camera, the orientation is shown in the viewfinder as well.

Dave.

archivue

if long exposure is important, then phase one
if color accuracy is important, then leaf
if hight iso is important, i think phase one is better (not shure about it)
il the screen size is important, then leaf
that's in general... but it varies even more from model to model...

i'm dreaming to upgrade my aptus 22, for a leaf with long exposure...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
if color accuracy is important, then leaf
if hight iso is important, i think phase one is better (not shure about it)
il the screen size is important, then leaf

Not so sure on the color anymore. Obviously the P65 and P40 are Dalsa now but the color is outstanding. But old days yes leaf was more neutral . I see a big difference in my P40 over my old P30 + and P25+ which where Kodak

How about use outdoors - does the fan on the Leaf cause any issues with just normal outdoor usage (I've never touched one but see the vent holes in the back)? The Phase backs seem to be pretty good outdoors in this regard. It sounds like Leaf is better for skin tones and have been for a while, but I wonder how Leaf is when rendering nature subjects, if that can be measured? (sounds like a weird question, but I don't do skin tones nor studio work, just landscape stuff)

GMB

Thanks to all the answers. Obviously, I have read the specs and know the differences that are obvious from them.

I think as far as long exposure is concerned, there is no meaningful difference between the Leaf and the Phase with Dalsa sensor.

Color would be important for me. I find the Phase are sometimes to punchy. I would prefer more neutral colors out of the box which I can then tweak as I like.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
How about use outdoors - does the fan on the Leaf cause any issues with just normal outdoor usage (I've never touched one but see the vent holes in the back)? The Phase backs seem to be pretty good outdoors in this regard. It sounds like Leaf is better for skin tones and have been for a while, but I wonder how Leaf is when rendering nature subjects, if that can be measured? (sounds like a weird question, but I don't do skin tones nor studio work, just landscape stuff)
With respect to the fan, it's pretty unobtrusive, particularly in the field. I'm a landscape shooter also and find it essentially silent. What I would be concerned about longer term is the complete lack of weather sealing that any of the backs have. In the case of the Leaf I could easily see that at some point you might need to send it in for service if the fan/duct gathered dust. With respect to water protection, none of them seem particular weather proof and have exposed connectors, unsealed CF covers and in the case of the Leaf the battery pack fixes to the bottom of the back with nothing to prevent water reaching the contacts/firewire port (if you had the back in the portrait orientation). The Phase backs are only slightly better in this regard with their recessed battery.

It seems obvious that these were designed for use in the studio or very controlled environments. Even the back/body mount is susceptible to water/dust ingress although that's not really something that I'd worry about putting the back out of action (cf vents/fans/connectors). I've used my Lead in typical NW weather and not had any issues so far but I am pretty anal about keeping it dry. (Ignore my other thread on breaking it in other ways! :thumbdown:).

Maybe this will be a focus area for the next generation of backs? It's certainly where I'd trust my D3x/s or Canon equivalent vs a MF DB setup.