The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

p65 won't power on

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Things have worked out great. Only missed one planned shoot with the phase, and took the opportunity to shoot a D3x (man was I lost. How in the world do I do a mirror up/self timer at the same time). Nice camera though and got a couple of nice things.
You found the one function that I really like about the Phase 645DF that the D3x can't do. I had to get an accessory remote from Premote Systems called, unoriginally, the "Premote" to be able to do this. Overkill if that's all you want but I use it for time-lapse control.

With the D3x it's nice to have a camera that is only limited by the glass you put on it. The P65 & Alpa should give you so so much more detail though. I'm still impressed with how much DR and tonality the 14bit Nikon files can produce even compared to my own Leaf Aptus (RIP :cry:).

Optech have been very helpful to me also. Glad to hear that you're up and running plus found the warranty to get a replacement from Phase One until it's fixed.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Thought I would post the results for those interested. My repaired p65+ arrived from Denmark on Monday. Included report said symptom reported "Dead", symptom verified "Dead", Repairs completed "Recalibration, Focus controlled and adjusted, exchange of CF-board, Functional check".

So things seem OK, but guessing I'll need to reconfirm my alpa infinity focus adjustment.

Don't know what the CF-board does, only that the LCD must be attached to it since the back has a new LCD on it.

ggriswold

CF board... Compact Flash Board? No doubt it interfaces with much more.
Could be part of the power system which may be the source of the "dead" issue. I have taken lots of things apart to see how they work, but the Phase One back is sacred. Can't imagine going inside. Dust for sure. Failure likely. It would be interesting to get some shots of the internals.... sounds like a Capture Integration kind of thing. Maybe they have a dead one they took apart and photographed the autopsy?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, EVERY time you send your back to Denmark, it comes out with a fresh rear glass complete with new piece of protective film over it -- IOW, I don't think they necessarily replaced the entire LCD :)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
CF board... Compact Flash Board? No doubt it interfaces with much more.
Could be part of the power system which may be the source of the "dead" issue. I have taken lots of things apart to see how they work, but the Phase One back is sacred. Can't imagine going inside. Dust for sure. Failure likely. It would be interesting to get some shots of the internals.... sounds like a Capture Integration kind of thing. Maybe they have a dead one they took apart and photographed the autopsy?
Part of the dealer training is handling a disassembled back. Pretty neat to see the number of individually sourced components used inside.

Suffice it to say I highly recommend against opening up any back unless you're willing to have it never work again.

The photos of that experience are not public however. If you want to see the inside of a back in any meaningful detail you'll have to eat the cost of one :).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off

etrump

FWIW, EVERY time you send your back to Denmark, it comes out with a fresh rear glass complete with new piece of protective film over it -- IOW, I don't think they necessarily replaced the entire LCD :)

I wondered about that Jack. I got mine back and it looked like it had new film on the lcd glass. I have the VA warranty and I was never without a P65 which is great since I am shooting almost everyday until the leaves drop. Kudos phase and doug at CI.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
That's the benefit of the Value Added Warranty. The extra cost of the warranty seems steep unless you have even a single repair during the three year coverage in which case having a loaner back shipped to you for the duration of any repair makes it more than worth it.

Especially since repairs always seem to happen at the worst time!