The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 - current status

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had the opportunity to try an S2 with a 35 and 70 lens this morning. Did some shooting in RAW, nothing fancy, just playing around and trying to get a bit more used to the camera (as one can get in a few hours).

I later imported the files in LR3 (my first time of using LR after some years again).

Here my findings - conclusions:

1) S2 looks pretty mature in terms of current FW. operation as well as IQ coming out of the camera - just talking about DNG!

2) The lenses are nice to shoot with, very fast AF, spot on - well it was enough light but anyway - and the whole system works very smooth and fast and safe.

3) Even longer exposure times could be handheld without any issues (1/8 second and the 70 lens) - pretty impressive for such a MF camera.

4) The results in LR3 are stunning - PERIOD. LR3 made a huge step forward above LR2. And the colors as well as tones and exposure are spot on! I also looked at the DNGs in C1 Pro and they just do not come close to LR3 - which is understood as there is no right profile for the S2 in C1. But here comes the point, I had the feeling since using LR3 again that it is at least as good as C1 - if not superior - in handling as well as IQ. ANd also RAW support, which lately sucks in C1 (mention Sony NEX3 and 5)!

5) Overall I was VERY pleased with the S2 in its current incarnation. Much nicer to work with and carry compared to Hassi and Phase and others!

If I had enough money for this I would immediately jump on it and sell my H3D39 and glass. This system is so much smaller, nicer to work with - YES, it actually works like a Leica and I am used to Leica's Reflex cameras since many years. No other vendor came and comes close to this easy an logical operation in my opinion!

At least I started thinking hard what I could (will) do to change to the S System. It is not complete so far, but for me the S2 with 2 or 3 lenses (35, 120, 180) would be perfect. And the current IQ getting out of this system is already stunning - and it is "only" 37.5MP!

Thoughts????

Terry

I got to use one for a week and also really loved it. I only had one lens for that time period so it was a little tougher to get a full experience. I guess I just started to add up the costs of adding the lenses and that gave me pause. I will never say never.

paulmoore

2 annoying issues for me is that pesky 40,000 for a small 3-lens system and no t/s lens/ adapter in the 90-120mm range..but it is a joy to shoot and I think megapixel-wise enough for me too. As it is, its perfect for my personal work..but that doesn't pay the admission price to this party..

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I had the opportunity to try an S2 with a 35 and 70 lens this morning. Did some shooting in RAW, nothing fancy, just playing around and trying to get a bit more used to the camera (as one can get in a few hours).

I later imported the files in LR3 (my first time of using LR after some years again).

Here my findings - conclusions:

1) S2 looks pretty mature in terms of current FW. operation as well as IQ coming out of the camera - just talking about DNG!

2) The lenses are nice to shoot with, very fast AF, spot on - well it was enough light but anyway - and the whole system works very smooth and fast and safe.

3) Even longer exposure times could be handheld without any issues (1/8 second and the 70 lens) - pretty impressive for such a MF camera.

4) The results in LR3 are stunning - PERIOD. LR3 made a huge step forward above LR2. And the colors as well as tones and exposure are spot on! I also looked at the DNGs in C1 Pro and they just do not come close to LR3 - which is understood as there is no right profile for the S2 in C1. But here comes the point, I had the feeling since using LR3 again that it is at least as good as C1 - if not superior - in handling as well as IQ. ANd also RAW support, which lately sucks in C1 (mention Sony NEX3 and 5)!

5) Overall I was VERY pleased with the S2 in its current incarnation. Much nicer to work with and carry compared to Hassi and Phase and others!

If I had enough money for this I would immediately jump on it and sell my H3D39 and glass. This system is so much smaller, nicer to work with - YES, it actually works like a Leica and I am used to Leica's Reflex cameras since many years. No other vendor came and comes close to this easy an logical operation in my opinion!

At least I started thinking hard what I could (will) do to change to the S System. It is not complete so far, but for me the S2 with 2 or 3 lenses (35, 120, 180) would be perfect. And the current IQ getting out of this system is already stunning - and it is "only" 37.5MP!

Thoughts????
Glad you liked using the S2. :) The new firmware coming out in a few weeks is even better and the 120 Macro is a stunner!

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Peter it is slowly maturing as i said a year ago it needs to mature but as the system gets fuller it is a nice tool to work with.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yes, it is maturing indeed - of course it could be a bit faster ;)

But it starts making me happy with what I see today. If there are some additional lenses available in future like 24 or 30 and the zoom and maybe a longer tele, then this is really very versatile.

But I think the trick is to keep it relatively small and simple WRT equipment. Thus the 120 would become my standard lens - high speed portrait and light tele as well as macro. And I would choose this one also as my one CS lens.

Meanwhile I made so many experiences with landscape that I know I can easily survive with 37MP - and man - there will be an S3 with some 55 - 60MP one day if I really need it.

I do hope that other vendors developing new MF cameras from the ground up think in a similar way as Leica did - maybe the next Phase will be an integrated and smaller solution - yes and I am aware of the drawbacks that you cannot use the sensor on a tech camera then. But on the other side the MANY advantages are at least equally important.

David Klepacki

Leica is doing a very nice job with the S2 camera and lenses. The problem is that the new Leaf 80MP back is more attractive to me at less cost than a S2 system. With the 80MP back, you could crop out 50% of its image and still have a larger file with more resolution than the S2. And, even if a future S3 came out with a much smaller pixel size of 5 microns, it would only amount to 54MP.

IMO, to really see these Leica S lenses differentiate themselves from competitors, they must be used on a much higher resolving sensor ... much higher than what Leica has now.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Yes, it is maturing indeed - of course it could be a bit faster ;)

But it starts making me happy with what I see today. If there are some additional lenses available in future like 24 or 30 and the zoom and maybe a longer tele, then this is really very versatile.

But I think the trick is to keep it relatively small and simple WRT equipment. Thus the 120 would become my standard lens - high speed portrait and light tele as well as macro. And I would choose this one also as my one CS lens.

Meanwhile I made so many experiences with landscape that I know I can easily survive with 37MP - and man - there will be an S3 with some 55 - 60MP one day if I really need it.

I do hope that other vendors developing new MF cameras from the ground up think in a similar way as Leica did - maybe the next Phase will be an integrated and smaller solution - yes and I am aware of the drawbacks that you cannot use the sensor on a tech camera then. But on the other side the MANY advantages are at least equally important.
Peter,

The 24mm f/3.5, 30mm f/2.8 and 30-90mm are the next lenses that will be released, most likely by Spring 2011.

David

Guy Mancuso

Leica is doing a very nice job with the S2 camera and lenses. The problem is that the new Leaf 80MP back is more attractive to me at less cost than a S2 system. With the 80MP back, you could crop out 50% of its image and still have a larger file with more resolution than the S2. And, even if a future S3 came out with a much smaller pixel size of 5 microns, it would only amount to 54MP.

IMO, to really see these Leica S lenses differentiate themselves from competitors, they must be used on a much higher resolving sensor ... much higher than what Leica has now.
Yes maybe the new 5.2 sensor out now for Leaf would be nice in the S2 would bring the MPX up some. Of course that is Dalsa and Leica has always used Kodak sensors. So that would have to change or wait for Kodak in the 5.2.

Certainly a future idea for them. Myself at this point would just buy a bigger back since i am already in a system

thomas

maybe the next Phase will be an integrated and smaller solution - yes and I am aware of the drawbacks that you cannot use the sensor on a tech camera then
Phase would lose the tech camera market then. Unlikely.

But on the other side the MANY advantages are at least equally important.
but these advantages (really so many?) are only relevant if you use a SLR camera without exception...

David Klepacki

I am thinking that if the S2 camera does not sell well enough, Leica could still recover their development costs overall by marketing these lenses to either Phase One or Hasselblad systems ... assuming they padded the image circle diameters by the extra 13mm or so.

Guy Mancuso

I agree David , Leica should have been making lenses for Phase and Hassy all along and forget even putting out a body. They are truly a optics company by heart. The market for Phase and Hassy is huge and they would have done very very well for themselves and important to them actually better said extremely important is their pride which doing lenses would have fulfilled them in those respects.

jonoslack

Well, Guy - but that body is so nice to use . . so why should they have forgotten putting out a body?
No idea how well it's selling, but at least they're making a profit these days.

Peter - go for it - you know it makes sense :)

I must stop reading these posts as I can't afford this camera!

Guy Mancuso

Are they making a profit from the S2. M9 yes but I think they are ways away on the S2 but regardless. Leica is a optics company and if they only made lenses for Phase and Hassy there barrel of cash would be far bigger than going it on there own and investing tons into R&D into one body and only one mount. Anyway it is the path they chose and good for them but from a investment point of view if they opened up there lens line outside of themselves well I think they would be very very happy with the returns. Zeiss is not a bad example of this. Not that the S2 is not a nice cam but the lenses are limited to one mount. When 3 or 4 mounts would be very profitable.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Another recent development that I find positive about the promotion and sales of the S2 is that Leica has begun to step up their game in trying to connect with their audience. Must be a different product/brand team than the M9 because they are doing an excellent job with social media marketing via channels like Facebook, Youtube, twitter, etc. with a variety of postings, video shorts, photos, etc.

Kurt

K

keithG

My 120 Macro arrived yesterday...going through the images today they are stunning!

kg

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
That sounds like an excellent lens to have. Can you comment on its size versus the other S lenses you may have? I like the 100-120mm focal length on the S2 ... and it's f2.5. My guess is that this is going to be one of the most popular of the S lenses.