The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 - current status

K

keithG

That sounds like an excellent lens to have. Can you comment on its size versus the other S lenses you may have? I like the 100-120mm focal length on the S2 ... and it's f2.5. My guess is that this is going to be one of the most popular of the S lenses.
Size and weight are about on a par with the 180mm going by memory...is larger and more weighty than the 35mm and 70mm which I have.

I opted for the 120mm over the 180mm as I found that to long for my purposes and I also have the need for macro, even if I did not have the requirement for the macro I would of opted for the 120mm focal length.

Initial impresions of the out of focus area is very smooth, will try and give you a bit more info on my thoughts after shooting a few more images over the weekend. Hope this helps.

kg

jonoslack

Are they making a profit from the S2. M9 yes but I think they are ways away on the S2 but regardless. Leica is a optics company and if they only made lenses for Phase and Hassy there barrel of cash would be far bigger than going it on there own and investing tons into R&D into one body and only one mount. Anyway it is the path they chose and good for them but from a investment point of view if they opened up there lens line outside of themselves well I think they would be very very happy with the returns. Zeiss is not a bad example of this. Not that the S2 is not a nice cam but the lenses are limited to one mount. When 3 or 4 mounts would be very profitable.
So - is Zeiss making more money from their Lenses than Leica?
I really don't know the answer to this, but I do wonder.

tjv

I loved the S2 when I tried it. Price of entry aside, it seems to be one of the best MFD camera systems for my work. Weather sealing, beautifully sharp and fast lenses, small (ish) form factor, LR3 native support. The only thing going against it for me on paper is the 3x2 format. Ah, if only I had money. Then I could buy an H kit AND and S2... One can dream.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So - is Zeiss making more money from their Lenses than Leica?
I really don't know the answer to this, but I do wonder.
Well the field is wide open for Leica to make MF lenses for Hassy and Phase. Now Schnieder is making lenses for Phase and I have 2 of them and they are really really nice. I see it as a missed opportunity for Leica. If the S was in three mounts a lot of Hassy and Phase folks would jump on them. Certainly there is a market.

tjv

Are the H or M mounts even able to be designed for without going through some kind of special partnership or resorting to reverse engineering? Could me more trouble than it's worth.

fotografz

Because of the appealing form factor, my original S2 explorations was to consider a replacement for any DSLR system, as well as the lower end of the MFD kit ... leaving tech camera and high meg needs to one big camera (60+ meg. or a Multi-Shot) with key lenses.

As it was, it couldn't replace the DSLR ... and didn't offer enough in terms of practical resolution at popular print sizes to justify the big lo$$ on existing MFD gear, plus paying a premium for a system that costs as much as a super-high res MFD kit (H/60, P65+, Leaf 80) with a larger sensor and more practical aspect ratio.

Leica lenses are a definite plus that inspire lust, yet both the major players keep upping their stable of lens ... Schneider LSs for Phase, and lenses like the terrific 35-90, plus recently announced improved 50mm and 120mm from Hassey.

What is the availability of the S2 regarding system? People keep talking about this lens and that lens ... but any investigations into availability make those exceptions to the rule, and that nothing is readably available except maybe the body and 70mm.

Leica lust aside ... one has to consider reality of what is actually delivered by this kit verses what the state of-the-art from others may be ... and if one could get a nice 3 lens kit even if one wanted it.

Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well obviously they need to make a deal and get licensing for sure. Reverse engineering is not the way to go. Phase right now has partnerships with Mamiya and Schneider for glass. Hassy did use Zeiss for years on the V body. For the H they use Fuji I believe

...Leica lust aside ... one has to consider reality of what is actually delivered by this kit verses what the state of-the-art from others may be ... and if one could get a nice 3 lens kit even if one wanted it...
That's an easy one. The pleasure of using the wonderful body design. The Leica lenses are a bonus.

Mark

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Because of the appealing form factor, my original S2 explorations was to consider a replacement for any DSLR system, as well as the lower end of the MFD kit ... leaving tech camera and high meg needs to one big camera (60+ meg. or a Multi-Shot) with key lenses.

As it was, it couldn't replace the DSLR ... and didn't offer enough in terms of practical resolution at popular print sizes to justify the big lo$$ on existing MFD gear, plus paying a premium for a system that costs as much as a super-high res MFD kit (H/60, P65+, Leaf 80) with a larger sensor and more practical aspect ratio.

Leica lenses are a definite plus that inspire lust, yet both the major players keep upping their stable of lens ... Schneider LSs for Phase, and lenses like the terrific 35-90, plus recently announced improved 50mm and 120mm from Hassey.

What is the availability of the S2 regarding system? People keep talking about this lens and that lens ... but any investigations into availability make those exceptions to the rule, and that nothing is readably available except maybe the body and 70mm.

Leica lust aside ... one has to consider reality of what is actually delivered by this kit verses what the state of-the-art from others may be ... and if one could get a nice 3 lens kit even if one wanted it.

Marc
Marc,

I do fully agree with you! This was also my conclusions a year ago when I jumped into the H System - where I am still a happy camper! Now talking about the new lenses for H I am rather disappointed to find out they have to bring new versions in order to obviously keep up with the new sensor technologies coming - so it is nice to see they are investing, but rather bad to see they have to improve.

WRT the S system - of course it is not complete today, but it becomes a system which would cover my needs from MFD already today. In my local Leica store in Vienna they have 2 S2's in stock as well as 70 and 35 and will get the 120 till December. And the 180 is available without much delay, so I would say this is not too bad. For my needs the 35 and 120 would do so far and if I could add a 24 and a zoom and maybe a longer tele over the years to come it would be perfect.

If it comes to tech cameras - if I need one, which I doubt in the moment, then I think it is much better to go with a separate MFDB from either vendor (preferably today Leaf and their new 80MP back for that attractive price) and add tech cam lenses as needed - maybe 1 or 2 - which definitely will outperform anything available from Leica, Schneider, Hasselblad and Phase for their respective system solutions.

So end of the day it comes down to needs. I meanwhile am confident I cannot replace my D700 an glass with any other system, maybe a future mirror less and smaller solution from any vendor could do. But the S2 would allow me to do all my work I do today with decent MF quality, for a high price but offering unmatched flexibility and portability within that system. This is the appealing factor.

BUT - of course there is my brain which then tells me how much I would loose if I switch etc. etc. .....

KETCH ROSSI

I must say that I'm impressed, even so my mind is more an more set towards the Leaf Aptus II 12/DF LS system, and Assy H4D 60, I still intend to give the Leica S2 system, a full ride test before final decision is made, and can't wait to bring the Trio in to the Hollywood Studios for the ride of their Life..:cool: the girls are waiting..:D:D

xpixel

The 120 mm macro lens is now also available... will post hopefully this weekend some impressions...:)

So there is now 35, 70, 120 and 180... for the S2...

tjv

The S2 would be way more attractive with a 50mm in the stable but I hear that isn't on the cards any time soon?