The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad system - need your advice

Valentin

I built up a 503CW into a 503CWD system over the last year or two. I've got the 50 FLE, 80 and 150 lenses and a pair of backs. The CFV-16 is a really nice back and extends the life of the V system. The colors, dynamic range and general richness of the files are something else (compared to DSLRs). It's great being able to switch from a roll of Tri-X to 16-bit color in a few seconds. The modularity of the camera is a real benefit. I'll often switch between the WLF and PM5 (45º) prism as well. Another benefit is being able to throw in a combination of extension tubes for close (or macro) shooting... Something I really wish my Mamiya 7II did (3' is as close as it gets).

The images from film or digital, of course - give you all that MF goodness and the rig is a blast to shoot.

Thanks. Man, it's hard to decide: V system or Mamiya RZ.

I have to hold one in my hands since the focusing is done via the knobs and I don't know how it feels.

Arjuna

Now I'm confused. Why would it be a crop factor if the back is square?
The CFV sensor is 36 mm x 36 mm, compared to 6x6 film's 56 mm square; so the image one gets is like a crop from the centre of the film image.

Also, does the V system have different format backs (6x6, 6x7) that you can use? I couldn't find anything in regard to that.
6x6 and 645 backs are fairly common for the V system, and I believe that there are a some less common possibilities, like super-slide, and 80 mm.

Vlad

Now I'm confused. Why would it be a crop factor if the back is square?

Also, does the V system have different format backs (6x6, 6x7) that you can use? I couldn't find anything in regard to that.
I just stumbled into this thread, which is particularly funny because I just picked up a Hassy 501CM outfit with 50 and 80 lenses. I walked into B&H today ready to pull the trigger on the D3x, and walked out with this beauty.

It is simply magical. The first time I opened the waist level finder and looked through it I fell in love. The size of the finder, the 3-dimensionality of what you see, it's truly something else. Nothing in 35mm compares. The slap of the mirror and the cocking of the shutter are noises to be experienced.

I am new to MF and the V series, but as far as I can tell, it's revitalized my passion for photography and - as with other things - the MFAS (Medium Format Acquisition Syndrom) is strong with this one. I foresee an S2 or H4D before Christmas.

Valentin

The CFV sensor is 36 mm x 36 mm, compared to 6x6 film's 56 mm square; so the image one gets is like a crop from the centre of the film image.

6x6 and 645 backs are fairly common for the V system, and I believe that there are a some less common possibilities, like super-slide, and 80 mm.
Thanks. Got it. Are there any 6x7 backs for the V system (film)?

jlm

Workshop Member
Vlad:

we are channeling the same muse. tried my first blad in 1975, had the exact same experience

Valentin

I am new to MF and the V series, but as far as I can tell, it's revitalized my passion for photography and - as with other things - the MFAS (Medium Format Acquisition Syndrom) is strong with this one. I foresee an S2 or H4D before Christmas.
While I shot MF before, it was with the Bronica. MF definitely got me interested again. After all, the 80s style is back too :)

symbolphoto

Dude, I asked for help here .... you are not helping :) .
I'm sorry! I'm sorry.

I got into photography, professionally, after film had passed. (Assuming that film passed back in 2003-2005 period). So for me, there is no love lost. Never mind just processing the photos to get them to print or sending them to a lab, then you have to scan them, put them in a usable format and then retouch them... i can appreciate the love for film, especially for the hobbyist.. but for business, i just don't see how it makes sense. Time is money, etc...

Especially now that the H4D31 is here... while it's a tough pill to swallow, it's never been easier to swallow that pill. Sub 10K full MFDB system?..

But there is really nothing else like it. If you really want to keep your interest, my opinion is to pony up the cash. (If possible). If you sell a H4D31 with little clicks, you won't lose much money. Hell, rent one for a weekend and shoot parts of a wedding with it. Use Phocus, and see how it goes into your workflow. For me, after being bored with 35mm, going to MFDB has been huge, not only is it forcing me to focus on my shots more carefully, i'm getting into more technical aspects with focus-recompose, timing (only 1 frame per 1.1 seconds), and the amount of adjustability in Phocus is much different than 35mm say - in Lightroom.

So what's my point? I think you'd only be experiencing half of the equation of MF if dealing with film. Today there are so many improvements and technological hurdles overcome with MFDB, it truly is a pleasure to get stunning imagery and enhance it even further in applications like photoshop. Oh, i forgot to mention one of my favorite subjects... retouching. Retouching skin, such a delight, all that extra resolution and sharpness due in part to having no AA filter...

Film though?... i just can't imagine, especially now, a 35mm shooter wanting to deal with all of that. Unless you have a serious love affair with it to begin with.

Just my .02

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
it used to be that an appealing part of MF was that you got 12 shots per roll; requiring more attention while shooting. One of the biggest changes then, in going digital, will be that you can shoot hundreds of shots as easy as twelve. Another parameter in that new equation.