The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad system - need your advice

T

tetsrfun

Especially now that the H4D31 is here... while it's a tough pill to swallow, it's never been easier to swallow that pill. Sub 10K full MFDB system?..
IMHO, from the hobbyist's view point, that is the way to go. Having the ability to shoot film as a criterion really sends you off into a dead-end and this from a person who has two rolls of film hanging in the bathroom, drying. While my CFV went on a vacation to Denmark, I shot 6 rolls of Ektar 100. Compared to digital, it was "fun" but not worth the hassle or cost.

Steve

Valentin

..... i can appreciate the love for film, especially for the hobbyist.. but for business, i just don't see how it makes sense. Time is money, etc...
Brandon,

While I do like the film, I'm not going back to it because I miss it (you can see my thoughts on it on my blog). This is a specific move I'm making because I am working on introducing something that will differentiate me in my area.

It's a tough world out there for a wedding photographer so I always work on improving my work as well as bring something different to clients.

Part of the reason I'm looking for something that works both with film and digital is that I recognized the shortcoming of shooting film and I want that option. At this stage, I NEED the film part.

T

tetsrfun

It's a tough world out there for a wedding photographer so I always work on improving my work as well as bring something different to clients.
The best resource for that is fotografz.

If it's wedding shooting he has done it, is doing it and as a former AD, knows the business.

Steve

symbolphoto

Brandon,

While I do like the film, I'm not going back to it because I miss it (you can see my thoughts on it on my blog). This is a specific move I'm making because I am working on introducing something that will differentiate me in my area.

Part of the reason I'm looking for something that works both with film and digital is that I recognized the shortcoming of shooting film and I want that option. At this stage, I NEED the film part.
Sure, just know that i'm not questioning you more than i'm trying to avoid having you spend money unnecessarily. I know that doesn't seem like the case, i just think long term.

I wish you luck either way.

carstenw

Hasselblad V 200 series cameras ... these are focal plane type cameras that can use the faster aperture Zeiss FE lenses and with a simple modification can use a CFV digital back. Plus it can be used with all C, CF and CFE Zeiss leaf shutter lenses. It has the meter built in and can be used like a SLR with automation of exposure and shooting. (the 203FE was my favorite camera of all time, ever ... and I still miss it :().
Marc, on a side note, I have a little bit of money to spend, and was considering a Zeiss 100MP ZF.2 for my Nikon D3, but at the same time, I still have deep feelings for the Hasselblad V system (I have 50/2.8, 110/2 and 250/4 FEs with a 2000FC/M), and always wanted either a 203FE or 205TCC/FCC. On eBay, the prices now are around 1600-1800 Euro for a nice, used chrome 203FE, which is very much on the upper edge of what I was hoping to spend. Any tips on where I might find a good price on a nice body?

fotografz

Here' a few East Indian Wedding shots done with the CFV.

My favorite is the horse waiting to take the Groom to the wedding ... "Reserved Parking" : -) The close-up shot where the groom is being jostled around is a tradition where he has to get past the Bride's relatives ... and in the end, must bribe them.

I did the whole thing hand held ... used a little puff of D40 TTL flash in the dark situations, or to help freeze action.

The ceremony took all day, and the reception was the following day. In between, I did 22" X 22" prints that were displayed on easels at the entrance to the Hall. The whole set of shots was projected on a giant room screen and I was amazed how well they held up ... vivid and sharp.

A couple of guests told me it looked like NatGeo stuff, which made my day.

-Marc

Valentin

Sure, just know that i'm not questioning you more than i'm trying to avoid having you spend money unnecessarily. I know that doesn't seem like the case, i just think long term.

I wish you luck either way.
I know. Even if it's not going to work out (and that's why I'm looking for something that can take a digital back as well), $1,500 - $2,000 will not be the end of the world. $10k is too much for me to absorb as a loss (even if I resell the stuff it will still be a big loss).

I don't plan on shooting MF full time for weddings. It's just doesn't fit the way I photograph. 35mm fits my style perfectly (and the files from the 5DII are beautiful).

T

tetsrfun

I know. Even if it's not going to work out (and that's why I'm looking for something that can take a digital back as well), $1,500 - $2,000 will not be the end of the world. $10k is too much for me to absorb as a loss (even if I resell the stuff it will still be a big loss).

I don't plan on shooting MF full time for weddings. It's just doesn't fit the way I photograph. 35mm fits my style perfectly (and the files from the 5DII are beautiful).
With those stipulations and the would like to "introduce something that will differentiate me in my area", Marc's suggestion:

"A basic 503CW with 80/2.8 T* lens and 2 film backs coupled with a high-end flat bed won't suck your bank account dry, and provide a true introduction to MF with some digital ability ... then you can expand from there. Nothing will be a loss ... even the flatbed"

seems to answer your needs. And unlike a dilettante such as myself making a suggestion, Marc has used and made money with his equipment recommendations.

Steve

Steve

Valentin

"A basic 503CW with 80/2.8 T* lens and 2 film backs coupled with a high-end flat bed won't suck your bank account dry, and provide a true introduction to MF with some digital ability ... then you can expand from there. Nothing will be a loss ... even the flatbed"

seems to answer your needs.
Steve
Steve, yes.

Here is what I'm debating between:

1. 503CW, 80/2.8 T* with A12 and A16 backs (I like rectangular as well plus they fit nice on a 8x10) and a prism (preferably metered) for those cases of vertical shots
2. RZ67 ProIID, 110/2.8, 6x7 and 6x6 back. What I like about this system, is that you can rotate the back for vertical shots.
3. Mamiya 645 (I can't find what the difference is between a DF and AFD; I think DF can't take film backs but not sure), 80/2.8 and backs.

1 and 2 gives me flexibility in formats (aspect ratio). 1 is smaller and lighter and uses Zeiss lenses. 2 can shoot vertically by rotating the back (so it doesn't require a prism) but I never held one so I don't know how the focusing with the knobs is. 3 is the cheapest out of the three.

That's where I am right now after days of reading (I feel like my eyes will start to bleed).

It would have been nice to have somebody to go and play with but nobody that I know have MF let alone the exact ones I'm interested in. I'll have to wait until the Photoplus expo :(

Thanks again to everybody for your participation. If you have any other suggestions or opinions, please share.

Valentin

My favorite is the horse waiting to take the Groom to the wedding ... "Reserved Parking" : -) ...

-Marc
Love that one ...

I like the richness of the colors. I just ordered some Ektar film from B&H :D (I got to keep with my intent) and I'm curios how will the colors be.

Valentin

Hi,

I have a question for you: does the Mamiya (either 645 or RZ) take Zeiss lenses? Also, can you use leaf shutter lenses with the 645?

Man, this decision game is not easy :).

Valentin

Hi,

I have a question for you: does the Mamiya (either 645 or RZ) take Zeiss lenses? Also, can you use leaf shutter lenses with the 645?

Man, this decision game is not easy :).

I still can't find anything regarding this. I hope somebody that's familiar with these systems have an answer.