The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad system - need your advice

fotografz

Thank you Marc. I really appreciate it.

So, if I got it right, it seems that I should look for either H2 or H2F

H2 - can take third party backs (digital) but no D lenses (to be honest I don't even know what that means at this point)
H2F - Hassy backs only but can take new type lenses.

Man, it gets more difficult, not any easier :)
Not so much difficult, as being specific to needs. The complexity comes in the relentless development that has taken place in more recent years. More choices to fit needs, but that is what this equipment is designed for. The common element is image quality, but each choice offers different paths to get there depending on personal likes and dislikes, or very specific needs.

-Marc

Valentin

Not so much difficult, as being specific to needs. The complexity comes in the relentless development that has taken place in more recent years. More choices to fit needs, but that is what this equipment is designed for. The common element is image quality, but each choice offers different paths to get there depending on personal likes and dislikes, or very specific needs.

-Marc

Very true. For me it's a little bit more difficult because I'm not familiar with all these systems (even film) compounded by the fact that the last time when I shot MF was 8 years ago. And that was with Bronica which is a little different than Hassy.

Today I spent a few hours with the 503 (I have to return it tomorrow) and I really like this camera but it's not for me. I've been shooting so much DSLR that the WLF is not working for me. It's OK for landscape/architecture type pictures where you can really take your time (and even use a tripod).

At least I got that out of the way :).

So, that leaves me with the H system or Mamiya. I gravitate towards the H since it's a LOT lighter and the viewfinder is a beauty to look trough. But that about doubles the cost compared with 503 or Mamiya 645.

I have to do some ROI analysis between a H2 and Mamiya :D

jlm

Workshop Member
you are probably moving away from the only sq format that could be digital (the rollei 6008 is still around)

get ready for the rotate paradox

Valentin

you are probably moving away from the only sq format that could be digital (the rollei 6008 is still around)

get ready for the rotate paradox
I know. As Marc said, it's about finding which camera fits your needs. I spent a few hours over the weekend shooting with it and I do like the look and feel of it. Unfortunately, the WLF is not helpful in focusing unless you use the loupe and I can't get used to it. If I had to, I could probably use it, but I'm not sure. When I was shooting MF for events/people, it was always with a tripod and ELF. The tripod is out of the question for the way I want to use it now.

I'm still evaluating the options out there. It's always that tricky balance between product and value :)

Valentin

try this with the prism finder yours truly, taken in '76
Do you have mirrors outdoors? :)

I'm not saying that there is no appeal to it ... it just doesn't fit with what I want to use it for.

For hobby, I might have gotten one. But this is a business decisions so I have to keep in check all unnecessary expenses :)

Valentin

Thank you.

Well, I finally made a decision (not that anybody cares :) ).

As I mentioned, this is will be used for business, to photograph people (portraits, engagements....). All of these factors came into play.

I really liked the 503CW but it wasn't suitable for the type of photography that I do (on location, handheld; sometimes you need to capture a moment that happens in front of you).

That left me with either Mamiya 645 or the Hasselblad H system (I was looking for something to use with both film and digital backs).

Today I spent some time handling both the 645DF and the H2 at Calumet. H2 feels more balanced compared to DF and the viewfinder is bigger and brighter. What I didn't like about the H2 is that most of the settings are done via menu. I really liked that the DF has knobs (this is a personal preference).

Also, since this will be used with paying customers, I need to have a back up in place (you can't just say "sorry, it stopped working and I'll call you when it's fixed"). An H2 sells for about $3k (and H2F is more expensive). That puts me right there at about $6k in bodies.

So, for starters, I will get the AFD II (already ordered from Capture Integration folks; Dave Gallagher was very prompt in answering my questions), 80mm 2.8 and the 150mm 3.5

Down the road I will upgrade the lenses to the 150mm D one and when I'm ready, a digital back.

I want to say thank you again to all the people that shared their opinion in this thread. It really helped me make my decision.

For now, I'll post samples in the analog threads :) ... but [arnold schwarzenegger voice] I'll be back [/arnold schwarzenegger voice]... with digital ones.

symbolphoto

Valentin,

Congrats! That sounds fantastic... i'm not familiar with the Mamiya names, can you link to what you got? I'd love to check it out!

Valentin

Valentin,

Congrats! That sounds fantastic... i'm not familiar with the Mamiya names, can you link to what you got? I'd love to check it out!
http://www.mamiya-usa.com/645afd-iii.html

I got the AFD II (previous version). The body looks the same, but they improved the performance with the new one.

Another thing that I liked about it is that there are many manufacturers (digital backs) that supports it. I don't have the money right now, but the Schneider lenses are in par with Zeiss lenses as well.

ggriswold

Valentin,

Of the Mamiya non D lenses the 80mm and the 150mm are quite good in most cases. I have both and they do a great job with my P40+. My 55mm non-D is pretty good, but not great. Stay away from the 35mm. 45mm is so-so... hold out for the D version. Long zoom is surprisingly good...
Your results (and others) might vary.

----This is probably worth bumping to its own thread so others can chime in and track. ----

Valentin

Valentin,

Of the Mamiya non D lenses the 80mm and the 150mm are quite good in most cases. I have both and they do a great job with my P40+. My 55mm non-D is pretty good, but not great. Stay away from the 35mm. 45mm is so-so... hold out for the D version. Long zoom is surprisingly good...
Your results (and others) might vary.

----This is probably worth bumping to its own thread so others can chime in and track. ----

Thanks George. For now, I got the 80mm (non D) and I am going to get the 150mm 3.5

I've read a couple of reviews and it looks like the D version is sharper. Since I photograph people, sometimes too sharp is not good :)

When I will get some money in the bank, I'll get either the 150 D version or one of the Schneider lenses (I'm a sucker for German made stuff :) ).