The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some S2 Images

woodyspedden

Guy asked to see some of my S2 images. Please be aware that I am still learning the camera so not all are technically correct. All are processed in Lightroom 3.2

Enjoy and critique please

Woody Spedden

Whoops.........The Church Rock black and white is actually from the D3X with a 100mm Zeiss lens

David K

Workshop Member
Hey Woody,

Great to see you posting some images from the S2. These are beautiful and I hope you will follow them up as you familiarize yourself with the new kit. A little birdy told me that you had made this move and I've been wondering where you've been. Would love to hear your thoughts on the camera as you progress. Oh yeah, congratulations !!!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey Woody,

Great to see you posting some images from the S2. These are beautiful and I hope you will follow them up as you familiarize yourself with the new kit. A little birdy told me that you had made this move and I've been wondering where you've been. Would love to hear your thoughts on the camera as you progress. Oh yeah, congratulations !!!!!
Ditto

tjv

Thanks for posting. It's great to see real world S2 images appear on the net, even if they are small jpgs.

Terry

Hi Woody,
I've missed you. I really loved working with the S2 when I had a demo. Enjoy it!!!!!!

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Nice stuff Woody! :thumbup: I thought you said the weather was terrible. Doesn't look so bad to me....

David

jonoslack

Hi Woody
I didn't know you had an S2 - congratulations, I'd like one myself, but I've realised that any flavour of MF really doesn't suit my flippant shooting style.

These shots look great (as far as it goes).

I hope you're having a wonderful time with it (I spent two hours with one and thought it gorgeous).

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratulations Woody!

I tried one myself last week and I had only the best impressions. This became a great camera finally and will become a great system over the future. I might want to do this switch as well, I loved the S2 as much!!!!

Enjoy and keep posting and sharing your impressions and findings.

woodyspedden

Thanks to all for you comments and praise.

I have shot all the best 35mm systems and now, getting to look at the S2 files every day, I realize there is no comparison. 35mm still has its place as the MF gear doesn't do it all but whenever it is possible to shoot the S2 that is what I will choose.

One thing to note about the images, if you click on the boys (my grandboys) in the BMX bike competition above, you will see (I think) marvelous color and dynamics. This is straight from the camera and then processed in Lightroom 3.2. But no changes were made except to lighten the face of my grandson. Pretty special I think although this may be more a function of MF as opposed to the S2. I don't have the experience to know never having shot Phase/Mamiya gear.

My reasons for selecting the Leica S2 was the quality of the lenses and the superb ergonomics of the body. It is very rugged and of course weather sealed. This really suits me because primarily I am a landscape shooter.

So I will continue to post and I expect future images to be much better.

And David Farkas, this shot of the Tetons was done in the best weather we saw in the 10 days we were out and you can see that the peaks were in clouds even then. But I did the best that I could with what God gave me.

Woody Spedden

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Great to see your post, Woody.

While there is a lot of back and forth on this and other forums about the strengths and weaknesses of various systems, it still comes down to what is right for each individual. There are certainly features in the S2 that will make it appealing to certain end users and not to others. The same with Phase and Hasselblad systems. Charge full steam ahead with your eagerness and excitement in using the system.

It seems that anyone posting about the S2 for the longest time had to include a paragraph of rationalization. Thankfully, the tide seems to have turned.

And, please don't ever feel like you have to apologize for the photos that you've shown us ... they need no apologies, footnotes or qualifications. They are very nice images.

Kurt

KETCH ROSSI

Great to see your post, Woody.

While there is a lot of back and forth on this and other forums about the strengths and weaknesses of various systems, it still comes down to what is right for each individual. There are certainly features in the S2 that will make it appealing to certain end users and not to others. The same with Phase and Hasselblad systems. Charge full steam ahead with your eagerness and excitement in using the system.

It seems that anyone posting about the S2 for the longest time had to include a paragraph of rationalization. Thankfully, the tide seems to have turned.

And, please don't ever feel like you have to apologize for the photos that you've shown us ... they need no apologies, footnotes or qualifications. They are very nice images.

Kurt

Well said Kurt.

It's great to see your photos from the S2 Woody. It appears you are getting along quite nicely with the camera. Really nice photos.

Who would have thought on our Germany Trip back in 2007 that we would be shooting a Leica medium format SLR today. Ain't it great.

Mark

jonoslack

Well you still need to hook me. LOL

Maybe S3
:ROTFL: of course.

Still, I understand Woody - If I was considering going to MF (which I'm not). Then I'd want it almost exclusively for landscape, which would mean it would have to work in the rain / dust etc. It would have to be reasonably compact, and the lenses would need to be rain/dust protected as well.
I wouldn't want all the other bells and whistles particularly, so that, if I could afford it, the S2 would provide things that I DO want which aren't available elsewhere, without presenting many limitations.

Actually, I would also have been using it at the wedding I was doing over the weekend . . in the pouring rain!

On the other hand - from your point of view it's a very expensive way of getting a camera which is missing lots that you do want, without providing much extra, for a lot of money - not very enticing!

erm, what I'm trying to say is that for some of us the S2 is a more attractive proposition than any of the other MF options.