The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some S2 Images

KeithL

Guy asked to see some of my S2 images. Please be aware that I am still learning the camera so not all are technically correct. All are processed in Lightroom 3.2

Enjoy and critique please

Woody Spedden

Whoops.........The Church Rock black and white is actually from the D3X with a 100mm Zeiss lens
Making judgements on JPEG images at this size is almost impossible.

Having said that, the skin in the BMX shot, tones and modelling, looks as though it’s airbrushed. If this is straight out of camera I'd be worried.

Woody, what I will say is that I preferred the tonal qualities of your version of Church Rock (D3X?) to Guy's. FWIW, I found Guy's version too contrasty making the highlights look like snow. There again, judgement is again based on web sized JPEGs and therefore fairly meaningless. In fairness, perhaps we shouldn't do it?

Geoff

FWIW, handled one of these cameras in NYC a couple of months ago, and sure glad I wasn't shopping. Nice form factor - nothing I would have been interested in, except once holding it, it was pretty lovely.

woodyspedden

Making judgements on JPEG images at this size is almost impossible.

Having said that, the skin in the BMX shot, tones and modelling, looks as though it’s airbrushed. If this is straight out of camera I'd be worried.

Woody, what I will say is that I preferred the tonal qualities of your version of Church Rock (D3X?) to Guy's. FWIW, I found Guy's version too contrasty making the highlights look like snow. There again, judgement is again based on web sized JPEGs and therefore fairly meaningless. In fairness, perhaps we shouldn't do it?
Keith

If you wish, I would be happy to provide you with the raws so you can better see the real file quality. The bad skin rendering on my Grandson's face was due to the fact that the original face was almost black and pulling it up created all kinds of problems. But his mom wanted a photo where you could at least see his face so..............there we are. I will post the original so you can see the real image without this extreme manipulation.

Kurt

Thanks so much for your insightful comments. As we go back a long way you know that my standards are very high and the truth is that I am still learning MF in general and the S2 in particular so I expect my future images to be much better. I will keep posting so you can see the progress.

To everyone

Thanks for your comments and critiques. They are very helpful. I should also mention that in addition to what I have already said about the S2 features, its viewfinder, IMO, is second to none. What a pleasure to use.

Woody Spedden

In the new BMX photo there is no processing at all save the conversion in lightroom 3.2. No processing at all including sharpening. So what you see is fundamentally what the S2 is capable of producing.

Last edited:

Valentin

...The bad skin rendering on my Grandson's face was due to the fact that the original face was almost black and pulling it up created all kinds of problems. But his mom wanted a photo where you could at least see his face so..............there we are....
By comparing the two images, it looks like you used the adjustment brush in LR. I would personally "develop" two copies of the same image and do any adjustments in PS.

Also, if she prints this image larger, you could see the face and might look OK. On a web sized image or 4x6 print, there is not much you can see.

woodyspedden

By comparing the two images, it looks like you used the adjustment brush in LR. I would personally "develop" two copies of the same image and do any adjustments in PS.

Also, if she prints this image larger, you could see the face and might look OK. On a web sized image or 4x6 print, there is not much you can see.
Thanks Valentin

Woody

KeithL

Keith

If you wish, I would be happy to provide you with the raws so you can better see the real file quality. The bad skin rendering on my Grandson's face was due to the fact that the original face was almost black and pulling it up created all kinds of problems. But his mom wanted a photo where you could at least see his face so..............there we are. I will post the original so you can see the real image without this extreme manipulation.
Woody, I wasn't only referring to the boy's face, it seems to me that all the skin in the shot looks airbrushed, but as I said my impression is only based on what's in front of me.

Thanks for the offer of the RAW but I'm only working with Phocus 2. Perhaps you could post a few full sized jpeg crops here?

And I still prefer your Church Rock...