The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One LS lenses - MFT-Charts anywhere?

Paul Spinnler

Hi guys,

I was searching fot MFT-charts for the new Schneider LS lenses from Phase One. Can't find them on the website.

Have they been published, and if so, anyone mind pointing me towards a link?

Kind regards

Paul

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't seen any MTF charts as yet. MTF charts for the rest of the line are printed in the Phase One Product Guide.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
To my calibrated eyeballs :)bugeyes:), the solid and dashed lines are going to be basically a level, co-linear and highly positioned line with a fairly rapid "waterfall" down the last quarter at f2.8, the waterfall getting shallower to f8 where it disappears completely. (PS: The 55 may take to f11 before it completely flatlines.)

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Paul Spinnler

I was just wondering whether the new ls lenses - excepting their obvious high flash sync capabilities - are such a significant step up compared to the older mamiya lenses as to justify their relatively high price tags? for example, the 55mm costs about 3500 Euros in Europe, which is a solid price ...

goesbang

I have all three of the Schneiders, 55, 80 and 110. All of them are extraordinarily sharp if you are talking absolute resolving power. They have that slightly "European" feel when compared to the Japanese designs, namely slightly cooler colour and if my eyes don't deceive me, a touch less contrast.I see this as a plus as I can always bump my curve if I need more contrast. Remember, we are capturing 12 stops of dynamic range here. The barrels are smooth functioning, AF is fast and accurate.
Yes, they are pricey, but when they let me shoot wide open outdoors with flash, a look hitherto impossible, then to me, they are worth every penny. We are talking about roughly a grand per lens extra, right? Amortise that over an expected service life of 10-15 years and it seems worth it....
In fairness, the Mamiya D lenses are pretty awesome optically. Just be careful when you are talking about "older" Mamiya lenses. The film-generation lenses tend to be designed with a target resolution of about 20lines per mm. The current generation digibacks need lenses that can resolve 60lines/mm to take advantage of the capabilities of the back. The only "older" lens that came close was the 120 macro. If anyone knows of any others that do, I'd love to hear it.