The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best way to print P65+ file ? ( 48 x 58 inch)

Dan Santoso

Halo,

I want to make 48 x 58 inch fashion print with the best details with Epson 9900 and Hahnemuhle paper (w/ custom profile).

1. Should I use resolution of 360 instead of 300? Can i see the difference in teh final output?
2. What is the best method to enlarge the file ? Genuine fractal? or CS5?

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Dan, at that print size I think you could safely print at 240 dpi.
The following is highly secret and please do not disclose to anyone LOL
I would set that resolution without resampling then up-res in CS5 in steps of less than 100% using bicubic smoother. Then continue the upres until you are 20% larger than needed. Then down-res using bicubic sharper to the final print size in one step.
Then look at the image on-screen at 50% of print size making sure that you are viewing with a custom proof profile WITHOUT preserve RGB numbers, simulate paper color, or simulate black ink but DO select black point compensation. I usually use relative colorimetric intent unless the print has highly saturated colors beyond the gamut of your printer/paper combination in which case I would use a perceptual intent. Look at the histogram and the proof view. At this point you may wish to sharpen a bit more if you are able without displaying sharpening artifacts. It should look lightly crispy without any hint of sharpening "halos" In addition sometimes an additional layer sharpened in unsharp mask with a high radius, perhaps 100-150 and a low percent, perhaps around 15% may help. Tune the opacity of this layer down to taste. Then add a curves layer and bring the white point to around 252 and possibly adjust the blacks and lower quarter-tone to get some deep tones as desired and/or open up the shadows if required.
That should put you into the ballpark.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I agree 100% with what Bob wrote, even the 240 PPI bit for an Epson printer (200 for HP and Canon). That method works very well for a well-captured file probably 90% of the time. Specific content can alter the parameters a little, but the basics definitely apply and are viable. While the term "best" does indeed open the topic to debate, if good enough is, then the topic itself isn't that complex --- choose one, upsize and print...

Cheers,

BANKER1

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't an Epson 7900 printer 44" width? It may be that he meant 44 X 58 inch!

Greg

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes it is. So the maximum 3:4 print size one can make would be 44x58 -- which I am pretty sure is what the OP meant.

Dan Santoso

Thank you for the tips :)

I read the articled in LL about photokit sharpener. It seems to be the best sharpener program. Have anyone print 44x58 inch with it?

Thanks,
Dan