The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 AFD II and leaf shutter lenses

SergeiR

Thanks. I wasn't sure since both are 2.8
There are few versions actually if you looking at the 150mm lenses to fit 645 Mamiya.

3.5, 2.8 - AF
2.8, 3.5, 3.8, 4 - MF

2.8 are easiest to focus with, rest are ok too. Available light sometime is problem for medium format, b/c lenses arent all that bright (comparing to 35mm cameras).

Quality wise - i believe that its pretty much up to personal choices, b/c well.. face it - unless you using fine film and going to do drum scans or huge prints, chances of really noticing differences arent all that big, imho.

I mean i am yet to see mamiya lens that i'd really dont like in either 6x7 or 645. But then i am fairly conservative with length/apperture choices , knowing exactly what i want/need. Or may be its sheer blind luck ;)

Last edited:

SergeiR

Aha.. i knew i had it somewhere online..

55m manual , leaf shutter lens + AFDIII + Aptus 54s + 2 quadra heads.
(camera+lens triggered via cable releases)

Valentin

There are few versions actually if you looking at the 150mm lenses to fit 645 Mamiya.

3.5, 2.8 - AF
2.8, 3.5, 3.8, 4 - MF

2.8 are easiest to focus with, rest are ok too. Available light sometime is problem for medium format, b/c lenses arent all that bright (comparing to 35mm cameras). ...
Thanks. Is this the one (on the site it says A which I think they are refering to APO) ... I just want to make sure I buy the right one

http://www.keh.com/camera/Mamiya-64...Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-MS06999001464N?r=FE

SergeiR

Yup. I think this is similar to one i have.

Just remember that with manual lenses on AFD you will have to do manual stopping down, whereas with AF lenses you just roll. (not same with RZ Pro IID for example, where you dont need to stop down MF lenses manually)

But. Its not leaf shutter version.

robmac

M645 lenses labeled "A" (e.g. 150/2.8A or 120/4 A) are often called 'APO' but are lenses using Ultra Low Dispersion (ULD) glass for enhanced CA control. I have both (shot on 35mm mind you) and love them. Great performance, sharp, smooth focus and bokeh and nice CA control.

What Mamiya calls it's true APO lenses such as the 200/2.8 APO (have it as well and stellar glass) have white barrels and have "APO" in their name.

As an aside, the M645 150/3.5 is nice (sold it some time ago), but the M645 150/2.8 A that Sergei refers to easily outperforms it starting wide open. Given the modest price of the M645 150/2.8 and $$ difference between it and the F3.5, I'd pick the 2.8A without question.

Sergei - Really like the blue shawl (?) portrait. Nicely done.

Thanks. Is this the one (on the site it says A which I think they are refering to APO) ... I just want to make sure I buy the right one

http://www.keh.com/camera/Mamiya-64...Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-MS06999001464N?r=FE

Last edited:

SergeiR

thanks Rob. It was illustration for article on scrims ;)

As of 150/3.5 AF vs 150/2.8 MF - yeah, i prefer to use MF most of times b/c it feels like its optically a bit better. Plus with MF i seem to take more time and attention :)

Only thing is - Valentin was looking for LS version, i think there is one for 150mm (yep, 150 F3.8 A N/L LS ) in old lineup, but i never used it. Its a bit darker and i would imagine - heavier ;) Interest for leaf shutters was reason why i started to look into RZ at some point ;)

robmac

Good point. I think you're right the 150 in leaf config was a f3.8, essentially the 3.5 with the leaf mechanics ( I guess) shaving a bit off the max aperture.

Agree on MF, love the way it slows you down and 'brings you into' the process more.

On the RZ - watched a you tube video on the new RZ33 the other day - serious lust.

SergeiR

On the RZ - watched a you tube video on the new RZ33 the other day - serious lust.
8))) I am slowly sinking my teeth into ProIID with ZD back attached - less mp, same sensor size, a wee bit less stops though (but passive cooling unlike leaf-inspired ones, which makes for serious decrease in weight)..

it feels GOOOD.. And syncing at any speed is fun. That + 2 stop ND filter - and i am happy as a clam ;)

Not that i woud turn down RZ33 if it ever comes towards me, of course.

Valentin

Thanks Sergei. I looked at the RZ ... that's a beast and I need to do some serious work out before venturing outside hand holding it :).

SergeiR

Sergei - sounds like you're having fun. Have never shot with the RZ/RB (film or digi), but always wanted to try.
As Eli Reed once told me - photography is all about having fun. If you do not enjoy what you doing - whats the point of doing it ;)

SergeiR

To make a living...
From pretty much same discussion, and i wholeheartly agree with it - if you dont like what you doing - may as well start doing something you will enjoy. You know.. sweeping floors or something. To really stand out - you must love what you do. Nothing wrong with being in it for money, i guess. But i'd rather have fewer gigs that i will like and that will be hiring me for what i can do, than having more gigs and be hired out of sheer need (alltough these times will come too, inevitably - but on constant basis? i'd pass)).

Plus if you ever looked at the income figures for US photographers, statistically they are not all that great. Few making big bucks, sure, but rest - almost scraping moss from cave walls to feed their families, actually.

Medium format is weird and tricky area and you dont really need it anymore to be published or anything really. Gone are days when for full spread or cover in magazine you'd have to get roll or two of 120/220 film. Heck, i done page spreads with E-1 ;) Thing is - if you roll with photography - there has to be something nagging behind it, some desperate need/attempt to express yourself, and not just money, IMHO.

SergeiR

I shoot in manual mode so that's not a problem for me.
well its not about manual mode.

Its just a bit more complex b/c you need to know lens steps by hand, and also being able to not shift focus while stopping lens down. Other than that - unless you really wanted L/S - this is wee sweetness of lens ;)

SergeiR

Actually you can get brighscreen's focusing screen (not beattie), and it will help a lot :)))

Plus AFD actually still can help with focusing quite a bit - AF confirmation by central is active with MF lenses.

Valentin

Actually you can get brighscreen's focusing screen (not beattie), and it will help a lot :)))

Plus AFD actually still can help with focusing quite a bit - AF confirmation by central is active with MF lenses.

OK, I have a question. I used to shoot Bronica and I don't remember stopping down when I changed the aperture (same on Hassy that I tried this weekend). Doesn't the Mamiya work the same?

Let's say that you need f8 @1/250 .... when you set the aperture on the lens, does it closes the diaphragm down or it get's closed when the shutter is tripped?