The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P25 Plus noise test/ Very Boring sorry

T

thsinar

Guy,

did you set any NR in C1? There is obviously a NR applied in the first image as opposed to LR. Noise looks better, but a lot of details are lost, which is "normal" and what happens when using a "Luminance" NR, since in the luminance channel there is also the sharpness information.

It would be more interesting to see the real raw files at ISO 400 and 800 to really judge the noise, respectively if there is some NR going on in C1 by "default".

Best regards,
Thierry

Working on it Robert. Check this out from earlier . C1 and LR . LR looks to have a touch more noise at the 800 level but it also has more contrast at defaults

C1
LR

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
All tungsten on AWB and i did WB off the paper towel . These are long exposure from 2 seconds all the way to 20 seconds

Guy Mancuso

Sorry but this blows me away . Long exposures here and under tungsten. Notorious for causing more noise and they actually look better and harder to tell the ISO apart . This I cannot explain except C1 is really fine tuned for tungsten and noise at the longer exposures . i did not change any settings. Now you tell me am i seeing things

Guy Mancuso

Where I see the biggest issue is between the metal hood and the cabinet that gap there you see it at 400 and 800 I see some purple . Let me try a correction with Ca and purple fringing.

Guy Mancuso

Dale the 55mm 2.8 no corrections YET .

I did not really try and keep things straight so that stuff is off

Dale Allyn

Sorry but this blows me away . Long exposures here and under tungsten. Notorious for causing more noise and they actually look better and harder to tell the ISO apart . This I cannot explain except C1 is really fine tuned for tungsten and noise at the longer exposures . i did not change any settings. Now you tell me am i seeing things

I agree. This is very clean for tungsten and long exposures.

Now if you would kindly buy a Sinar back and take the same shots it would really help us all.
:D

Guy Mancuso

BTW these lights are low voltage lights like the kind you use outside in the garden. There still tungsten but low voltage and there surrounded by amber glass which makes them even warmer in color temp. Needless to say i am pretty happy with this purchase . i am actually excited , pretty rare when it comes to gear.

Dale Allyn

My guess is that there will be a learning curve in dealing with the higher ISO files. The 800 ISO files look like they need some more careful tuning, where the 400 and lower are generally more solid (duh). The low ISO shots are great though.

Guy Mancuso

I agree i am getting with Doug Peterson from Capture Integration next week and he will walk me through some advance C1 stuff to get me on track . Version 4.1 is different than what i am used to working with. Interesting were are doing this remotely on our Mac's from 3k miles away. Using Leopard you can do screen share. have to say this because it is deserved. The folks at CI have been amazing at getting me going.

Guy Mancuso

Guy,

did you set any NR in C1? There is obviously a NR applied in the first image as opposed to LR. Noise looks better, but a lot of details are lost, which is "normal" and what happens when using a "Luminance" NR, since in the luminance channel there is also the sharpness information.

It would be more interesting to see the real raw files at ISO 400 and 800 to really judge the noise, respectively if there is some NR going on in C1 by "default".

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry i am thinking there is some noise reduction going on just bringing it into C1 . I am at C1 defaults and have not added anything to that. Yes the 800 ISO i am seeing some detail loss , not a ton but it is there over 400 and slower. My thinking is you need to work the 800 files some and hopefully Doug at CI can give me some idea's about that , he knows C1 very well. But what I see in the Sinar and the Phase backs is they can get there very well indeed. Not sure of the Aptus and Hassy stuff since i have not had the pleasure of shooting them. But lief in the higher ISO's seems to have gotten much better with firmware and software. Personally i will probably never shoot ISO 800 but nice to know i have some elbow room.

Guy Mancuso

Lowered the Luminance to 10 . Looks like it lost some of the smearing or more detail. Looks better to me overall

T

thsinar

Guy,

It would really be interesting (and important) to know what happens and how a Phase RAW file at higher ISO is handled by the soft, respectively if some NR is going on "behind the scene" and if one has influence on it or not.

I am convinced that one should be *free* to apply NR or not more so when one knows that it does influence details and micro-contrast much.

Can you update us on this, Guy, please, as soon as you know?

Thanks and kind regards,
Thierry

Thierry i am thinking there is some noise reduction going on just bringing it into C1 . I am at C1 defaults and have not added anything to that. Yes the 800 ISO i am seeing some detail loss , not a ton but it is there over 400 and slower. My thinking is you need to work the 800 files some and hopefully Doug at CI can give me some idea's about that , he knows C1 very well. But what I see in the Sinar and the Phase backs is they can get there very well indeed. Not sure of the Aptus and Hassy stuff since i have not had the pleasure of shooting them. But lief in the higher ISO's seems to have gotten much better with firmware and software. Personally i will probably never shoot ISO 800 but nice to know i have some elbow room.

Guy Mancuso

Guy,

It would really be interesting (and important) to know what happens and how a Phase RAW file at higher ISO is handled by the soft, respectively if some NR is going on "behind the scene" and if one has influence on it or not.

I am convinced that one should be *free* to apply NR or not more so when one knows that it does influence details and micro-contrast much.

Can you update us on this, Guy, please, as soon as you know?

Thanks and kind regards,
Thierry

Have to see what the Phase folks say about this setup they have. And i am still a little lost in C1 so i need to figure that also. I know you can save any setting and make it a preset so you can turn of there Noise reduction there and save that as a default