The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya repair center in US and CC payments

SergeiR

Not directly related to medium format cameras, but i guess its as good place as any, seeing that its about repairs for MF cameras/backs.

Word of advice, folks - monitor them CC transactions after you dealt with repairs @ MAC.

I just had to close card and deal with nice and juicy retracted transactions from France/Luxemburg/Great Britain - card was used to pay for wee repairs and its only time it was used in wide open, so my guess is that either number flashed or some paper bit was not properly disposed of after charging card.

Not a single bit impressed right now - hate to sit on the phone for hours dealing with that kind of stuff.

SergeiR

That sucks. How did you pay? Via phone, web or in person.
Repair pre-approval form, i guess, is where it all went south.

Anyway - i think its all kinda sorted out, just sort of sharing experience, as i never had this happened before - not with Oly, not with Nikon, and i did repair those cameras too. Go figure.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sergei, I get where you're coming from - especially with the frustration of having to deal with fraudulent charges. But you don't really know that it was from your use with the MAC Group. You say it was the only time it was used "in the open" which I take to mean you've used it, for instance, online on an SSL encrypted web page. Well those web pages get transmitted very very securely to the server of the company in question - what happens from there is anyone's guess. In almost all cases there is the potential for human fraud at the receiving end. This is a modern inconvenience of life - we don't have to send checks across the planet by registered mail to make purchases/payments but every few years we have to deal with some form of identify theft.

At best it's speculation. Still given the seriousness I'm glad you posted it here so that if, by chance, anyone else has had a similar experience we can let MAC Group know of the issue. They run one of the best/most-dedicated/fastest repair facilities I've worked with in photography and I'm sure they would be very concerned if it turned out they were having their dumpsters dived or similar.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off

SergeiR

Doug - nope, it wasnt online - preapproval form is bit of paper, where you just draw in the number once form is printed, then you just stuff it into box and ship. So no online SSL stuff involved. So, assuming box is opened by folks at MAC - they were ones to see number and to destroy bit of paper with it afterwards.

So its not quite just the speculation, unless of course we assume that UPS folks opened and resealed box, which i doubt.

I have no beef about quality (well.. a bit maybe , but its not with that particular branch of repairs) - they did work fast and well on my AFDII body and replaced display on ZD in jiffy, so no kicks about it.

But like i said - that was a bit iffy feeling when you know where card was used and suddenly it pops like this.

I sent email to mamiya folks, explaining situation to them and asked them politely to be a bit more watchful.