The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phocus and Aperture Problem - HELP !!!

T

thsinar

The files are effectively still there, UNLESS one has done a "Secure Delete". Otherwise deleted files are kept until they are overwritten by new files.

In other words, DO NOT touch the Mac and do anything until you have rescued them with an application like mentioned by Brad.

Thierry

Ouch. That hurts.

Not sure if this was a recent event or not, but if it just happened, tell your friend not to use his computer (I'm assuming it was a Mac) until he has a chance to undelete the files. If he copied them to his computer, they're still there. Applications like Data Rescue can retrieve this data.

If he used CF cards, an application called PhotoRescue will do a good job of ressurecting the last set of images on each card he was using.

So there's a still a pretty good chance your friend can save much of the day's work.

-Brad

fotografz

Ouch. That hurts.

Not sure if this was a recent event or not, but if it just happened, tell your friend not to use his computer (I'm assuming it was a Mac) until he has a chance to undelete the files. If he copied them to his computer, they're still there. Applications like Data Rescue can retrieve this data.

If he used CF cards, an application called PhotoRescue will do a good job of ressurecting the last set of images on each card he was using.

So there's a still a pretty good chance your friend can save much of the day's work.

-Brad
Afraid it wasn't quite that easy Brad. Data Rescue did retrieve a majority of the images, after like 2 days of crunching the data, but the files were fff Hasselblad shots and there was some additional difficulty with file naming on the retrieved images so they couldn't be opened ... some software dude had to write a special program to complete the process with the files that could be saved.

My worst wedding nightmare ... and the reason I shoot all critical images with dual card Canon and Nikon Pro DSLRs and would NEVER use a single card camera to photograph any critical wedding image. It is just a matter of time before disaster will bite you. Seen it happen to smug shooters who claimed it's never happen to them ... until it did ... one guy I know lost an entire 8 gig wedding card and no one could get the images back.

With the Hasselblad H system, I can shoot to a CF and also write to the Image Bank when there are no second chances. I think the Sinar backs can write to the internal HD and a CF card at the same time which would make it a good candidate for a MF Wedding camera also.

I never, ever reformat CF cards until they are downloaded and in at least three separate locations ... one being a stand alone HD, the another a DVD. Even shooting to 2 cards I trust nothing.

T

thsinar

Yes Marc, you are right: with the eMotion backs one has the possibility to save in these 2 locations at the same time, to the CF card but also simultaneously to the internal hard state memory. Exactly for security reasons.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

I think the Sinar backs can write to the internal HD and a CF card at the same time which would make it a good candidate for a MF Wedding camera also.

I never, ever reformat CF cards until they are downloaded and in at least three separate locations ... one being a stand alone HD, the another a DVD. Even shooting to 2 cards I trust nothing.

harmsr

Workshop Member
IT STILL DOESN'T WORK.

My computer was completely updated with all the Apple updates. I just checked the software update again, with nothing available.

I installed the actual 1.0 release version of Phocus, and Aperture crashes still.

fotografz

IT STILL DOESN'T WORK.

My computer was completely updated with all the Apple updates. I just checked the software update again, with nothing available.

I installed the actual 1.0 release version of Phocus, and Aperture crashes still.
Weird and unlucky.

Just opening Aperture alone, or with Phocus open also?

I'd clean install both programs if it keeps happening.

T

thsinar

Did you trash the preferences?

Thierry

IT STILL DOESN'T WORK.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Marc - either way. With Phocus closed or open, Aperture doesn't run.

Thierry - Which preferences do you refer to? Their was nothing left from Phocus before, and Aperture ran fine. As soon as I installed Phocus again, Aperture stopped working.

Woody - Do you have a case number or something relative to your conversation with Apple Pro Apps support? I want to call them and reference your same issue to see if they can help.

T

thsinar

Yes, I had seen this. But I would try anyway.

Go to your "home" ---> "Library" ---> "Preferences" and look for any pref. files from Phocus, and I would even try to trash all the pref. from Aperture.
Delete them and don't forget to empty the trash, then restart the computer.

It may not be this but is worth a try.

Thierry

Thierry - Which preferences do you refer to? Their was nothing left from Phocus before, and Aperture ran fine. As soon as I installed Phocus again, Aperture stopped working.

woodyspedden

Marc - either way. With Phocus closed or open, Aperture doesn't run.

Woody - Do you have a case number or something relative to your conversation with Apple Pro Apps support? I want to call them and reference your same issue to see if they can help.
Hi Ray

Yes I have the case number..........99317795.

Over a period of four hours we tried virtually everything including trashing the various application support files, plists, etc etc. The only thing that worked was setting up the second user account and installing Aperture in that location. Do not, of course, install Phocus in that same user account.

In frustration my tech suggested completely reinstalling the OS (be sure to use the ARCHIVE option from your disk. I don't think he was optimistic but frankly had nothing more he could think of to do. As I said earlier, after reinstalling the Leopard OS I went to Software Update and found a 536MB file for the latest OS which included some changes to Aperture as I discovered later. {Oh by the way, before reinstalling the OS and the Software upgrade, remove Aperture and all the stuff it leaves behind including the plist, Apps support etc. I used Spotlight to find all the files and deleted them one by one.}

Once you are up and running with the latest O.S. version you can reinstall Aperture. I don't know which version you have but you should upgrade to 2.1 if you are at a lower version. In my case this resolved all of the issues. I now run both Phocus and Aperture as I wish with no problems. I can even open both simulataneously with no issues.

Hope this helps and works for you

Best

Woody

harmsr

Workshop Member
Woody,

Thanks for the case number.

However, I'm at a complete loss. Here is the original history of how things went.

My machine was running fine about a week and half ago with Aperture and no Phocus. I got the Hassy to try and started using Aperture to develop the files. Everything was great. Last week, installed Phocus and used it with no problems. I then tried to go back a few days ago and use Aperture again. Aperture did not work, as per the original post. This was all prior to the last 10.5.3 and ProApp update from Apple.

I then deleted Aperture completely, and did a fresh install from the Aperture 2.0 disk. Software Update then updated it to 2.1 again. Still no luck, as Aperture would not open.

I thought it might have something to do with the Viveza plug for Aperture which also was added recently. I called NIK software and got great tech support help. However, nothing worked. They were searching all over the web after no results and found something about 3rd party color-pickers also causing this same issue. I have no extra color pickers installed but it did tweek my memory to think of the color picker which was just added with Phocus.

During these trials with NIK, I completely redid the Mac OSX partition from scratch with a clean format and all new install.

Same results, everything worked perfectly until I installed Phocus. Prior to installing any other software, I completely updated the OSX, then added MS Office did all the updates, added CS3 plus all updates, then Aperture plus updates, then the other small misc. stuff that I use. Everything was running perfectly. I then installed the Phocus beta and Aperture did not work.

I removed Phocus completely, and Aperture worked again.

I then contacted Hassy, but have not heard any solution yet back from them and also posted here.

Today after reading what you and Marc said, I loaded the actual release version of Phocus with the same results of Aperture not working.

I completely delete all Phocus files from Apps/user & MacHD (app support/caches/preferences) then Aperture runs perfectly.

I don't know where to go from here. I guess that I will try to call Apple.

What phone number did you use for support on the Pro Apps?

Thanks,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Latest update

I spent about an hour on the phone today with Apple support. They read this thread and also checked the case number from Woody.

After completely removing all of my user preferences that did not fix the issue. We went through redoing Aperture and Phocus, plus their preferences in a few different orders and ways with no luck.

I forwarded them the report which it asks would you like to send Apple when Aperture crashes and will not open along with my serial numbers so that they could find it in their system. Still no easy help.

We got into the system crash logs and forwarded them that report which showed Aperture crashing.

Creating a new user account of test with admin privileges allowed both Aperture and Phocus to run fine together under the new test account.

The tech seems to believe the issue is somewhere in the "USER" folder of my main account but not sure what it is. Removing the preferences did not fix anything.

It does seem that it may also be related to order in which things are installed and updated. When I redid my entire Mac partition, I updated all the OS X prior to installing Aperture and Phocus.

I am going to try to start from scratch again, this time installing everything before doing the updates and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, the Apple tech escalated the issue in their system and gave me a case number. He stated that I would get a call from more senior support staff on Monday to try to resolve the issue.

Ray

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It sounds like a painful process and I hope you resolve it.

This may not be much help at this point, but I found a nice bit of freeware that makes finding, examining, and removing preferences from either the user or system folders pretty simple. The site is here: http://www.jonn8.com/html/pt.html The link to the download is the name of the software, "Preferential Treatment", that appears up near the top of the page.

It first examines the plists in either your user or system folders and reports problems should they exist. If a problem is found, you have several options to deal with them directly from within the software.

Not much of help this time, but handy to have around.

David K

Workshop Member
This is the kind of problem that drives me stark raving nuts... Hours and hours of wasted time installing, deleting, reinstalling, searching, phone calls, etc, etc. You have my sympathies.

harmsr

Workshop Member
David - You are right. This drives my "batty".

Now the good news after all of this B.S. !!!!!!! My computer now has Phocus and Aperture both running fine together.

I started from scratch again yesterday, after the comment from Apple that it may have something to do with the install and update order. So I reinstalled the OS on a clean disk. Next I installed Phocus and then Aperture only. Aperture did not work. I did this prior to updating the OS as the last time, I updated the OS first. Still no luck.

Based on what we found on the phone with Apple tech, I created another "test" user. The "test" user could use both Phocus and Aperture with no problem. Since I was basically starting over and doing new users was no big deal at this stage, I then deleted my user information only keeping the "test" user. Next I created my user account again made it the admin, and then deleted the "test" user. Now my user account could use Phocus and Aperture with no problems. Then I spent the next six hours reinstalling , updating, redoing preferences, etc... on everything.

The end result after all of this frustration is that everything is now working fine.

Why Phocus and Aperture, won't get along in the originally generated user account is still a mystery.

Ray

woodyspedden

David - You are right. This drives my "batty".

Now the good news after all of this B.S. !!!!!!! My computer now has Phocus and Aperture both running fine together.

I started from scratch again yesterday, after the comment from Apple that it may have something to do with the install and update order. So I reinstalled the OS on a clean disk. Next I installed Phocus and then Aperture only. Aperture did not work. I did this prior to updating the OS as the last time, I updated the OS first. Still no luck.

Based on what we found on the phone with Apple tech, I created another "test" user. The "test" user could use both Phocus and Aperture with no problem. Since I was basically starting over and doing new users was no big deal at this stage, I then deleted my user information only keeping the "test" user. Next I created my user account again made it the admin, and then deleted the "test" user. Now my user account could use Phocus and Aperture with no problems. Then I spent the next six hours reinstalling , updating, redoing preferences, etc... on everything.

The end result after all of this frustration is that everything is now working fine.

Why Phocus and Aperture, won't get along in the originally generated user account is still a mystery.

Ray
For me as well Ray. What i did to fix mine defied logic but in the end worked. I guess my only issue is that if it starts up again then what? I am not about to go through complete scrub.....reinstall O.S.....Reinstall Aperture....Reinstall Phocus....etc

I would recommend you run Time Machine right now so that if you experience another recurrence of the problem you can go back to a machine state that you know works.

Glad to hear that everything works for you now.

By the way, all the Nikon gear I had for sale has sold. Only three days so pretty good to sell on the GetDpi B&S forum.

Woody

harmsr

Workshop Member
Woody,

I'm with you on not having patience to figure this out again. Time machine backup is already done and put away.

It is amazing how easy it is to sell the new Nikon gear right now. The popularity and scarce availability of some of the lenses sure doesn't hurt.

Glad yours sold also so that there is another friend right beside me sliding down that MF slope.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter, and so was I.

Try creating a new test user with admin privileges. Logout as yourself. Login as the test user. Check to see if both Aperture and Phocus work now. My bet is that they will. If they do, it seems the solution is to migrate all your user information into a new user account.

If Apple comes up with a better solution when they contact me today, I'll let you know.

Best,

Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear all of your issues Ray... Sounds like Phocus still has some teething issues to work out, but at least you are running now.