The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One tethering woes

Dolce Moda

When I try to connect my P30 in Capture One 5.2.1 i get this error:

Detail:(300#4) LightPhase camera error: The camera did not complete a request within the expected time. - Download command timed-out (10581 ms) in WaitAsyncBuffer. Block 1 of 9 (64512 bytes).

The back is connected to my laptop via the phase one 4 pin cable through an adapter to my laptop's firewire port
I ran the P30 firewire patch for win7 64 and the back shows up in the "devices and printers"
as Phase One P30 when connected. So it isn't a case of the computer not connecting the
camera. It is a Capture One problem.

When I start Capture One. The firewire icon on the back blinks then becomes steady... the
connecting camera menu pops up then ... the camera error message pops up.

I have a case with Phase One but they haven't been able to help.

The laptop is a brand-new Lenovo Thinkpad W510 with an integrated firewire port running Windows 7 64bit

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I know this is not "helpful" from your point of view, and I am NOT saying it is your only path forward. Nor do I wish to start an off-topic war about Mac vs. PC.

However I will tell you this: less than 10% of our customers use Windows, and about 50% of the support cases that I work on that require any effort to solve are those users. In other words our (few) Windows users have not-easy-to-solve issues at 4-6 times the rate of our Mac users.

Again I'm sure you've chosen your Windows laptop for a particular reason and I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Just giving you real world experience from my position overseeing/helping/consulting-with hundreds of users.

If you've never had a digital back tethered to that particular computer then it's possible the firewire bus is simply not up to the task, or has issues - even if other, less demanding devices (e.g. consumer hard drives) have no problems.

Since you've already bought your laptop this may not be helpful to you, but for others who are considering to buy a Windows laptop for such high-end photographic applications might consider buying from a Phase One dealer who has worked with enough Windows laptop users and can give some advice on models which they have found working flawlessly. Or buying the laptop from a local store where they can return the laptop if it's found that the FW bus is not up to snuff.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off

goesbang

How about running a simple test - get hold of someone else's laptop and see if you get the same error. This will at least help isolate the source of the problem.
Best of luck!