The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup

David Schneider

The Hasselblad eye cup that's on my H3D2-39 (or should I say was on it) is very comfortable, can even use it with my reading glasses on. And it's fine in the studio on a camera stand.

But once you start moving the camera around, whether putting the camera into a camera bag, or having it on strap over your shoulder, or carrying it in crowded situation like a wedding, it seems to me it's about as bad a design as you can come up with. It just gets knocked off regularly. It finally got knocked off and lost yesterday.

The eye cup just slips on the outside of the optical viewfinder. Stupid. Why not have a threaded end with the same rubber eye cup so that it stays on the camera. A simple screw in eye cup would be a huge improvement. Or am I the only one how has this problem?

Is there some guy in China that makes replacement eye cups? I want to order a gross of them. That might last a year for me.

fotografz

The Hasselblad eye cup that's on my H3D2-39 (or should I say was on it) is very comfortable, can even use it with my reading glasses on. And it's fine in the studio on a camera stand.

But once you start moving the camera around, whether putting the camera into a camera bag, or having it on strap over your shoulder, or carrying it in crowded situation like a wedding, it seems to me it's about as bad a design as you can come up with. It just gets knocked off regularly. It finally got knocked off and lost yesterday.

The eye cup just slips on the outside of the optical viewfinder. Stupid. Why not have a threaded end with the same rubber eye cup so that it stays on the camera. A simple screw in eye cup would be a huge improvement. Or am I the only one how has this problem?

Is there some guy in China that makes replacement eye cups? I want to order a gross of them. That might last a year for me.
Just put a dab of glue on it.

-Marc

David Schneider

So someone who buys a $40,000 H4D-60 has to glue the eyecup on. Unbelievable. It's like saying when you buy a new BMW, the windshield wipers might fall off so better glue them to the holder.

P. Chong

Hey, don't shoot the messengers...we are just sharing with you what worked for us.

So someone who buys a $40,000 H4D-60 has to glue the eyecup on. Unbelievable. It's like saying when you buy a new BMW, the windshield wipers might fall off so better glue them to the holder.

symbolphoto

I've used mine at a wedding and have had no issues whatsoever. I dont put mine in a bag though, mine goes in a Pelican 1510 with foam.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Try running a rental department with multiple H2 bodies going out ever week during the rental season. At least then the replacement cost is billed to the renter.

David Schneider

Try running a rental department with multiple H2 bodies going out ever week during the rental season. At least then the replacement cost is billed to the renter.
You must really need that little guy in China who makes replacement eyecups. I hope I find his website. lol.

Yesterday I had to photography a high school marching band group, 92 members, for a poster which is a perfect use for medium format and immediately had to rush to a county championship soccer game for action photos, a good use for a dslr. I wasn't going to leave the Hasselblad and lenses in my car so brought that gear along with my Canon gear to the field. It stayed by side of bench area until the second overtime period. Having photographed something like 12 out the last 14 championships, I know to take the group photos with plaques and all after the game and know the bench area gets less secure. With an extra number of newspaper photographers and reporters on the same sideline I decided it's was a better idea to sling the Hasselblad over a shoulder than to leave it in an unsecured bag as time was winding down. Between the commotion of happy players, parents, photographers, officials someone probably bumped into the Hassie and eyecup was gone. This isn't a case of contact photography, just trying to make sure my gear doesn't walk off with someone other than myself, hence my disappointment and annoyance. Maybe I was also more P.O.'d because I had a nice, little family photo in pumpkin patch today and keep looking at the naked end of my viewfinder.

Maybe I'll drive up to Hasselblad hq here in NJ and ask them to put the page with the glue instruction a little more prominent in the manual in four languages. lol

Professional

I had this problem with my H3DII-39 before, but i traded in for H4D-60, i am still worry about it as i am sure it will fall off sooner or later aft a while.

fotografz

Hassey does seem to lightly glue it in place which obviously isn't the best solution ... it just doesn't take much abuse ... like cramming it into the bag like I do. Once it's loose it falls off with just a bump until you glue it back in place better. The eye cup is such soft comfortable collapsable rubber that it's pretty easy to stuff the camera in a bag and have it put pressure on the eye-piece until it gives way.

I've learned to put the camera back into the camera bag eye-piece first ... problem solved so far.

My H2F rarely gets crammed in a bag, and the eye cup has never come off after a couple of years, including carrying it around in crowds and such.

-Marc

BlasR

I had this problem with my H3DII-39 before, but i traded in for H4D-60, i am still worry about it as i am sure it will fall off sooner or later aft a while.
So far, its holding in do not look like it will like h3d-50

i did glue it got tired of looking for it all the time I took the camera of the bag.

now its working perfect, a list for now.

BlasR

Dustbak

This is the camera equivalent of the filled-up ashtray ? :)

I have glued mine as well but I will be trying the upgrade route for the other body where the eye-cup keeps falling off.

Professional

This is the camera equivalent of the filled-up ashtray ? :)

I have glued mine as well but I will be trying the upgrade route for the other body where the eye-cup keeps falling off.
Just let's hope it won't, and i will be so careful this time, but the bag is a bit tight so i may better find another bag with more space or room so it will not have problems with that i-cup.

David Schneider

It's not bad when the eye cup falls off in your bag. It's when it falls off in some public place and you don't realize it for a couple of minutes.....or longer.

Professional

It's not bad when the eye cup falls off in your bag. It's when it falls off in some public place and you don't realize it for a couple of minutes.....or longer.
I agree, it happened many times for me with that H3DII-39, good that i always check the camera when i finish shooting and walk away, also i was lucky maybe that it falls off when i am not in public so crowded place.
Just in case if it falls and i lost it, where i can buy a new eye-cup for H1-H4/Hx?

David Schneider

Just in case if it falls and i lost it, where i can buy a new eye-cup for H1-H4/Hx?
I emailed my local Hasselblad rep a few days ago, but didn't hear back. I think when I have a chance I'll just call Hasselblad in NJ.

I keep some moustache wax in my camera bag in case my handlebars need some work, but now I'll have to keep an extra eye cup and some glue too.

T

tetsrfun

I emailed my local Hasselblad rep a few days ago, but didn't hear back. I think when I have a chance I'll just call Hasselblad in NJ.

I keep some moustache wax in my camera bag in case my handlebars need some work, but now I'll have to keep an extra eye cup and some glue too.
This is probably who you need to contact:

Nicole Patchell
Dealer Order Dept Supvsr / Parts Dept

Hasselblad USA
333 New Road
Suite 5
Parsippany, NJ 07054
Ph 973-227-7320 X238 Fax 800-424-0234

Hasselblad USA has moved all parts dept. to NJ. When I called a few days ago they were unpacking boxes....Probably better if you call next week. :)>

Steve

Last edited: