The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H3d 39MP

felix5616

Can anyone using a hasselblad H3D 39mp system give me an assessment of this system, with regards to image quality of the lens and back and tell me what they think of phocus software. I have an option of getting a syatem for a very good price.

P. Chong

I am using the the first version of the H3d-39. And am totally satisfied. Came from Canon 1D and L lenses.

I sometimes wish for a better lcd which can give me real feedback on focus. The h3d rear lcd is very poor indeed, and no good for anything but to display back info and the histogram (and for the histogram, I actually prefer the bw version on the other lcd on the body above the battery attachment). But seriously, I don't really need a better lcd...the II version of the body has a better lcd, but no match to the near 1mp ones you see in a DSLR.

What's the difference between version I and II? As mentioned the II has a better LCD. It also has a heatsink cooling system, so no fan. The I has a small fan employed in the back to cool. I find it unobstrusive enough to forget it is ever there. The II also features an improved filter which is supposed to be more resistant to fungus, though I live in tropical Singapore where it is mostly humid and humid, and have not encountered problems with the filter...yet...touch wood.

Most people I asked and trust tell me that there is no difference in the sensors, and hence the IQ of both are identical.

Phocus, well is Phocus. It is a very powerful software, capable of beautiful files. But every once in a while, it is like a misbehaving child, needing some disclipine. Download it and play with it. You can get the raw files at the Hassy site as well.

The lenses are exceptional. Some of them are a bit large and heavy...like the 50-110, but they are all optically superb. Sharp, good tone (micro as well as macro tone), good detail and resolution. No complaints whatsoever. Take a look at the hasselbladdigital forum threads on lenses.

If you have specific questions...fire away. I know many of the members more knowledgable than me will respond.

David Schneider

I think a lot depends on what your're going to do with the camera and the type of photography you are doing. It's going to have the same limitations as other mf compared to dslr or view camera.

I'm new into mf digital and haven't used my H3d2-39 all than much yet. But I had to photograph a, group of 92 in high school marching band and some individuals and I backed up my images with Canon 5dMK2. Honestly, I barely looked at the Canon images because the Hassie images were excellent. Phocus is an extra step, but nice that it works with your lenses.

I recently did a little fall family season and there was that certain mf quality to images that's hard for me to describe other than more pleasing to the eye compared to dslr.

Last edited:

Professional

I was using H3DII-39 and loved it before i traded-in for H4D-60 and no regret again, i did few tests with H3D39 against 1Ds3 for studio things and the Hassy was the winner no doubt, so i will always choose Hasselblad for all seasons where i don't need so high ISO and so fast frame rates and speed focusing.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I use the H3D39 with 28 and 100 lenses and HTS.

This is still a great camera! I think the only differences to H4Dxyz are True Focus, smaller LCD display (does not matter as long as you just use it for Histogram and basic back setup) and maybe not as good high ISO as the H4D40 can do. And of course resolution. The only difference to H3DII39 is that this one already has a larger display, which you actually will not really need IMHO.

Other than that you should be fine. I am using it for landscape, architecture and portraits with brilliant results - part of it being Phocus!

Prices should be well below $8000.- for a not too old H3D39. Sometimes less.

If you can get one for a good price then go for it! Plus it will open you the upgrade possibility to whatever state of the art Hasselblad camera you want to upgrade for a very attractive price!

kuau

Workshop Member
I loved my h3d39 iq excellent. I would not pay over 7k for one though now.
I just sold off all my hassy stuff because i needed to go back to Dslr nikon d3s for action photos skiing in Utah. I think hasselblad is an excellent system, though I would never pay the price for a new one, I tried a h4d, yeah true focus is cool, but once i figured out how to setup my h3d auto focus worked good for me.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I loved my h3d39 iq excellent. I would not pay over 7k for one though now.
I just sold off all my hassy stuff because i needed to go back to Dslr nikon d3s for action photos skiing in Utah. I think hasselblad is an excellent system, though I would never pay the price for a new one, I tried a h4d, yeah true focus is cool, but once i figured out how to setup my h3d auto focus worked good for me.
Sorry to hear you sold your H3D39. I still love mine! But I agree, I would never buy it new.

Other question - why did you go for Nikon and not Sony or anything else?

P. Chong

I think this is wrong - you cannot use any film back from H3D upwards. Only till H2D.
No, actually you were right. I have used film on my H3D. It is possible, but not with HCD lenses, only the HC lenses or V series lenses via the adapter. The H3d-ii is digital only.

kuau

Workshop Member
Sorry to hear you sold your H3D39. I still love mine! But I agree, I would never buy it new.

Other question - why did you go for Nikon and not Sony or anything else?
Needed the D3/D3s for the speed and af accuracy, build quality FPS.
Not using it for landscape at all.
Just have my M9, my "mini" MF system right now for landscape.

Steven