The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Back up cameras

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Backups are interesting and it was certainly easier to afford when you only shot 35mm since it was easy to get the exact cam or a grade below it like a D3X and D700 and many Pro's do that or did do that before they hit the MF world. Her it is almost impossible to have a TRUE identical backup. Not many can have 2 DF's and 2 P65+ same with Hassy or any other system like the S2. Each systems has it's quirks too like the S2 there is no options at all except a 35mm since there is no other body or lenses for that matter. The Hassy system you can at least buy a second body send it in and have it tuned to your back. Phase and Leaf are some good options like a AFDIII, AFD II backup to your back but obviously still not the same you can use another DF with no problems as matching up so that is a great option but backing up the back is difficult as Jack said a older Leaf/Phase back are nice options. Each systems will have some limitations and some will have the worst as in Leica just no options unless you buy a second S2 . That may change in time as the Leica system matures also. The Pentax almost could buy two right off the bat.

Obviously we all fall in different ranges of needs and incomes or even better what you want to invest in as a business. I use the Canon for other work so it is natural backup and most MF shooters will have a 35mm system backup of some sorts . Others may have a M9 setup or 4/3rds setup. All depends on your needs.

Really the bottom line as a working Pro is never going down in any way and covering your preverbal butt. No real right or wrong answers here but certainly have something. Most MF shooters also have plans to get backups overnight for back and/or body which is great but not the day of shoot. So credit card, backup cam or whatever it takes have something.

Short story here I think two months ago I was out shooting a golf tournament for a client with my Canons and driving around in a golf cart and bam one lens rolls right off the cart and I'm hosed. I had three choices and I live 3 minutes away no less . Go home get Phase system, Go buy another lens 1 hour roundtrip or try to shoot without it with other glass. Since I was going to take a break anyway I went and bought a lens. So owning a Canon/Nikon system almost any Best Buy, Target or whatever you can get something. Moral of the story be prepared and know your options.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Although I do sell my pictures and do commercial jobs, I don't make my living from photography. However I like to travel to remote places where waving a credit card wouldn't do me any good in the event of a failure.

So I recently settled on the M9 and a few lenses as back-up to my DF and P65+, mainly because it's so small and light. I can get an entire M9 kit into a bag I used to use for a Sony a900 and 24-70 zoom and I probably get better IQ.

FWIW,
Bill

KeithL

Although I do sell my pictures and do commercial jobs, I don't make my living from photography. However I like to travel to remote places where waving a credit card wouldn't do me any good in the event of a failure.

So I recently settled on the M9 and a few lenses as back-up to my DF and P65+...
...and it's a damned good way of justifying buying yet more gear.

;)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As someone who has suffered the worst kind of MFDB catastrophe (destroyed Aptus) I can personally attest to the benefits of having a second tier solution with you to keep shooting. I'm an amateur but was at the Grand Tetons when I killed my Aptus on my Alpa tech cam - luckily I had driven there for a three week visit and had my Nikon D3x outfit with me. That literally saved me from making the trek back home plus I was able to still shoot great images. I probably could have survived with my M9 but luckily I didn't have to find out.