The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format video anyone?

ggriswold

It has to be true because I bought my P40+ 6 weeks ago and I make my living doing HD broadcast video production.

It would have the same limitations as the DSLR (shallow DOF craze) which has significant hurdles for long form field production (file size limits, aritfacts, ergonomics, audio). The upside of DSLR is the stunning low light performance and that is a big deal if you have used even the best $35,000 TV cameras... they all need a good amount of light to look decent.
Sony just announced a hand held (prosumer form factor) 35mm sensor camera so things are looking up. The day they make a 35mm sensor video camera I can put on my shoulder I will buy it. For now it's 2/3" chip cameras that shoot XDCAM HD or DVCPRO HD.
Really, for some things having 1" depth of field is not ideal... most of what gets shot for entertainment, cable shows (Discovery, Food Network (except the food beauties), and corporate you want that depth for safety or the right look. But I digress....
George
www.videonow.info (EFP/ ENG HD TV)
www.georgegriswold.com (photos)

Last edited:

Don Libby

I've had this crazy idea for awhile of taking several (hundred) images spaced 10 seconds apart and incorporating them into a time-lapse video using medium format.

Just a thought....

ggriswold

I think you would need a computer from Lawrence Livermore labs. Ccool idea though. Crunch at full rez and display with 9 HD plasmas stuck together.
Could blow next year's lens budget.
Budget... What budget?

fotografz

I've had this crazy idea for awhile of taking several (hundred) images spaced 10 seconds apart and incorporating them into a time-lapse video using medium format.

Just a thought....
Actually, when using stills ... you may well need 600+ frames for a 5 minute short film.

For years I shot "Photomatics" with a FF DSLR to simulate TV commercials for consumer testing before going into full motion production. When first developing the technique, I shot way to many frames. Eventually we figured out that about 2 frames per second using cross dissolves worked best .... even with people in action. Less jumpy-jerky looking.

But these weren't edited at full res. which would be wasted on TV screens.

The advantage of this method was it replaced annimatics which were hand drawn ... using photos presented a product better and showed expressions better ... and was much less expensive to produce compared to shooting a video simulation of a :30 TV spot. Client changes were much easier to make in Photoshop compared to changing video at 24 or 30 FPS.

Clients would typically order 3 or 4 different spots to test with the winner the one that got produced ... which usually priced out at about $20K+ each ... we could produce them in about a week ... $80K-$90K wasn't all bad for a week's work. Usually 1 day prep, 2 days shooting, 2-3 days editing ... then 90 days waiting to get paid ... :ROTFL: