The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 28mm out for a ride

RGoldman

I have the cleaning kit from CI and need to just use it. I think most of the spots are probably from the camera itself. I have a couple of thread like things, similar to what I saw in the blue sky in your shots and I wonder if it's just debris from manufacturing. I'm hoping that the DB won't be quite as bad as my previous DSLR's when it comes to collecting dust.
As far as camera equipment goes.... my wife and I have a strict "don't ask, don't tell" policy. As long as the house payment and utilities are covered every month, she's ok with my gear purchases.

RGoldman

Yeah.... she's a keeper. Works as many hours as I do and doesn't have any expensive gear addictions. She's an RN which is a much less costly occupation than photographer. Lets hope PhaseOne doesn't start making stethoscopes and sphygmomanometer's.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Who wants it next???http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

On the cleaning kit that is included with the Phase One and the one we sell after-market consists of two solutions , wipes and a plastic piece to wrap the tissue around while wiping the sensor. A (being a soapy grease type cutting solution) and B (alcohol).
It is important that if you use the solution A first, you very quickly follow it up with the solution B. Do not let solution A dry it will streak.
I usually recommend if you just need a light cleaning, first use a hand blower to remove as must of the dust particles as possible, then follow it up with solution B.
If however there is hard to remove dirt (like spit, or chicken noodle soup-dont ask!) you should use the two part method.

There is more info up on our site.
L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

RGoldman

Thanks for the info Lance. Chicken noodle soup? I have to ask! With a couple of thread like spots and only a few small dust spots, I will try the blower and part B first. I'm sure that will take care of it since I haven't had it in the kitchen yet....
I would love to try out the 28mm as soon as it quits raining up here in the NW! This has been the most miserable Spring I can remember in the last 20 years. I'm watching the rain gauge go over 1 inch in the last 24 hours as I type this with no end in sight.....

Ron

N

Natasa Stojsic

Guy, I made my purchase after evaluating the lens against 28mm Rodenstock and 24mm Schneider... and since he owns Hassellblad 28mm lens too, I couldn't resist the challenge!!!

List of lenses:

- Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/24 mm XL
- Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital HR 4.5/28 mm
- Hasselblad HCD 28mm f/4.0 (as I said, I couldn't resist the challenge:p)
- Mamiya 28mm f4.5 D. AF

Digital Backs:

2x PhaseOne P45+
1x Leaf Aptus 75s
1x Hasselblad H3DII-39MS

Cameras:

- ALPA
- Mamiya
- Hasselblad
- Dr.Gilde 66-17 3D with Stereo set-up + twin Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/47 mm XL Lenses (I like to mention this not because it's related to this test but simply because I know you guys appreciate fine equipment and there was no particular reason for testing TWIN Apo-Digitars 47mm XL, except that it looks crazy cool with TWIN P45+ attached and it does some cool stuff and I had to see it in action:))

I will not talk about color cast because it is processing part of the job and it is removed in 1 second anyway.... so why bother!

In SHORT words, this is what we did.......

Friend of mine who owns all four explained to me the difference and our decision was to make the purchase/verdict not only based on quality but based on convenience and limited offerings of 28mm Lenses especially with AF!!!

Listening to my friend, I was convinced not to pay too much attention on the soft corners at least not at the beginning as he was suggesting for the first part of the day to shoot as if I was casually shooting lifestyle/Landscapes and leave Architecture/Interiors, etc. for the afternoon test.... especially because not all images had soft corners anyway (and I'm talking about P45+) with... P25+ and P30+ crop factor you may experience even less softness in more than some instances if any at all!!!

So, after a while we had a coffee break and few students to help us upload files.... First of all, forget the corners..... I was surprised to see that I was off on almost every shot using Schneider and Rodenstock lenses....:eek: because on the back of the DB screens looked as if it was 100% sharp and I though there was no need to repeat the shots... some shots you can't obviously repeat, so AF extremely helps. Basically, I blame P45+ for showing so much detail on a little screen even when you're not 100% heheehe:p Seriously, I can't curse the quality of these lenses obviously but the convenience proves to be a little more than a challenge..... Unless I go tethered, but how convenient is that for others not sure.....:( although it's fine by me, because I shoot tethered 65%.

Needless to say, overall images were sharper/better with Mamiya 28mm AF and HC28mm AF, but also perspective was better and that is due more to convenience of having AF than anything else and of course real-time looking through a viewfinder while focusing!!!

Now Guy, you may need/like 45mm, 55mm, etc. but almost every company has plenty to offer in that range. I was surprised that Mamiya would even attempt to make 28mm AF lens, but thanks to PhaseOne I guess, they have a future:) and I'm happy for that.

Based on what I see and what is available you can't go wrong, especially if you take in consideration that not much is going to change with regards to 28mm in terms of physically improvement/look, although firmware/fixes will be there as I'm sure they should and I'm not talking here about Mamiya alone, that goes for everybody!

Bottom line is... who ever tested 28mm can tell you, there's more reason to like it than to hate it, even for that price;)!!!

OK, I don't know about you guys..... but for me to be HONEST if I can save extra money to pay for Louis Vuitton bags.... I had to save enough for 28mm f4.5 D. AF and that's the truth. Now, considering that everything in life could be improved... but for now, let's ask what's available? So, looking from that perspective... I'm happy that I did purchase 28mm f4.5 D. AF. The other only option really is to grow older waiting for something that doesn't exist and will not exist in the near future and even than when it does, I'm sure who waited that long can find a charming reason to wait again:p, or except alternatives if you already own Hasselblad, ROLLEi, Sinar or prefer to make a happy switch:thumbup:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks much Natasa. i really like this lens even with the short comings of the corners and i know for a fact i would get more use out of this than i would my Horseman SWD Pro with the 35mm digitar. For me it's pretty much even money too so I may go ahead with this. I also want the 150mm 2.8 D lens so have to decide how to do all of it and still keep a wife around here. LOL

N

Natasa Stojsic

Thanks much Natasa. i really like this lens even with the short comings of the corners and i know for a fact i would get more use out of this than i would my Horseman SWD Pro with the 35mm digitar. For me it's pretty much even money too so I may go ahead with this. I also want the 150mm 2.8 D lens so have to decide how to do all of it and still keep a wife around here. LOL
Schneider & Rodenstock Lenses are very, very good, there's no doubt
about it! Only not much better to trade it for convenience that's for sure!!!

On the other hand in real life situation, my customers never now what lens did I use... 120mm or 150mm much less the difference of the same focal length.... for example 28mm AF!!! Most of them can recognize the character of the lens like telephoto, wide-angle, macro, etc. but attention to detail... forget it. I am not to speak about your clients of course, cause everybody is different, but there are some editors turn/photographers that try to leave impression and that's OK... because as you know 'Customer is always right:thumbup:'

Usually when I buy equipment, I buy it because I need it and because I care enough not to waste money on the long run.... therefore, I personally prefer to go for the more valuable one first and if it happens to be expensive, at least I know I'm in the same boat with everybody else.... anyway prices of these type of lenses never go drastically low!!!

What are we talking about here.... I just figured my airplane tickets cost as much, many times even more....!!!

However, if your wife didn't leave you by now because of Leica, she is there for good... but she's lucky,
because she doesn't know it yet:ROTFL:

Guy don't worry... since you're not The Man in The Iron Mask, that alone shows your wife is one bulletproof WOMAN!!!:thumbs:

V

Vivek

- Dr.Gilde 66-17 3D with Stereo set-up + twin Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/47 mm XL Lenses (I like to mention this not because it's related to this test but simply because I know you guys appreciate fine equipment and there was no particular reason for testing TWIN Apo-Digitars 47mm XL, except that it looks crazy cool with TWIN P45+ attached and it does some cool stuff and I had to see it in action)

Natasa, Would you please expand on that (any links on it would be greatly appreciated). I am in the dark about a digital stereo rig. Especially how it is displayed.

I was into stereophotography a few years ago (film/slides).

Thanks!

N

Natasa Stojsic

- Dr.Gilde 66-17 3D with Stereo set-up + twin Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/47 mm XL Lenses (I like to mention this not because it's related to this test but simply because I know you guys appreciate fine equipment and there was no particular reason for testing TWIN Apo-Digitars 47mm XL, except that it looks crazy cool with TWIN P45+ attached and it does some cool stuff and I had to see it in action)

Natasa, Would you please expand on that (any links on it would be greatly appreciated). I am in the dark about a digital stereo rig. Especially how it is displayed.

I was into stereophotography a few years ago (film/slides).

Thanks!

Vivek,

This expirience was really special for me.. I was not prepared, I thought we are only testing 28mm Lenses... But when I had to face my friend using some one of a kind over US$200,000.00 dollar Lens, after that Dr. Gilde Stereo system I must admit I freaked out!!!

I don't know personally much about the system, but just observing and paying attention to what is going on was a gift for me, I really enjoyed it!!!

However, next time I'll make sure to learn more.. and at least post some images, I promise;)