The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V users: Tripod head?

Dolce Moda

I shot in studio for the first time last week with my Hasselblad 553ELX/P30.

I was using my Manfrotto 322rc which I use for my dslr but I found it terrible when trying to keep the body level. I hated it.

Any suggestions from the Hasselblad users here?

BradleyGibson

I used my Hassy on a RRS BH-55 with lever release clamp. Not in the studio, mind you, but I found it to be an excellent combo for the nature work that I do.

Professional

I used my Hassy on a RRS BH-55 with lever release clamp. Not in the studio, mind you, but I found it to be an excellent combo for the nature work that I do.
Which Hassy do you have, and which plate do you use for that head? I look at RRS and i don't know which plate i should use for 500 series [501CM].

T

tetsrfun

I shot in studio for the first time last week with my Hasselblad 553ELX/P30.

I was using my Manfrotto 322rc which I use for my dslr but I found it terrible when trying to keep the body level. I hated it.

Any suggestions from the Hasselblad users here?
If you have a Gitzo series 3 tripod or RRS tripod then I would suggest the RRS leveling base with the PCL-1 clamp. On my last road trip, I used this combination 95% of the time; the BH-55 stayed in it's bag. This is an easily leveled platform and very stable. In the few situations where I wanted to have a camera angle > 15 degrees from level, I just shortened one tripod leg.

And then there is the "Cube", which is another story..:>)

As far a RRS plates for 500/200 series, I use a B82 (even though it is suggested for collard lenses) or the B22.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyHassy1/4&key=cat

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyHassy1/4&key=cat

Steve

BradleyGibson

Which Hassy do you have, and which plate do you use for that head? I look at RRS and i don't know which plate i should use for 500 series [501CM].
I used a 500C/M and a 203FE. On them, I used RRS's B22 plate as shown below. (Please excuse the poor quality webcam pics).

I prefer plates with safety stops, so even if I screw up, I get a second chance (thankfully, I've not needed it yet). This plate only has it at one end. Other than that minor issue, I found it was a perfect match--fit flush to the body, the anti-twist flange worked as advertised, and did not interfere with camera operation in any way (ie. centered on optical axis and did not interfere with back changes.)

T

tetsrfun

I used a 500C/M and a 203FE. On them, I used RRS's B22 plate as shown below.
My 203FE only has a 1/4" "hole" in the tripod plate so I used a reversed B82 rather than the 3/8" B22. FWIW, with my 503, the tripod plate is higher than the 203 and the B82 will mount in normal manner,

Steve

Last edited:
T

tetsrfun

So B22 or B82?
I prefer the B82; it's longer and narrower than the B22 and covers the underlying 'blad tripod plate. The B82 screws into the 1/4" socket and the B22 into the 3/16" so theoretically the B22 is a "stronger" plate, FWIW.

Steve

Last edited:

Professional

I prefer the B82; it's longer and narrower than the B22 and covers the underlying 'blad tripod plate. The B82 screws into the 1/4" socket and the B22 into the 3/16" so theoretically the B22 is a "stronger" plate, FWIW.

Steve
I am really confused which one to choose, i also prefer the longer one, but if the other is stronger this is also an advance, so don't know if longer will be better than stronger somehow, i am afraid to buy both then, lol.

fotografz

When I shot V cameras I HATED any additional QR mounting plate on the bottom of the camera itself.

There is a flush quick release plate already built into all Hasselblad cameras, and I used the Hasselblad Tripod Quick Coupling H for all V, H and X cameras which can be attached to any head you want. It has leveling bubbles built into the QR unit, a lever release, and a safety catch pin that uses an indentation in the built-in mounting plate. VERY secure, yet fast to dismount.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/265096-REG/Hasselblad_3043326.html

-Marc

bensonga

I used the Hasselblad Tripod Quick Coupling H for all V, H and X cameras which can be attached to any head you want. It has leveling bubbles built into the QR unit, a lever release, and a safety catch pin that uses an indentation in the built-in mounting plate. VERY secure, yet fast to dismount.
-Marc
I use the Hasselblad Quick Coupling unit also. I prefer it mounted on the Gitzo 2270M head. This works really well for a camera as heavy as the 553ELX.

Dolce Moda

Is the Hasselblad Quick Coupling Plate S required to mount the camera on the unit? It is sold separately for some reason.
Thanks Ben, I am going with the Gitzo 2270M. It looks like the best option to keep the camera level. I shoot beauty/fashion. I want the camera perfectly level to save cropping headaches.

fotografz

Is the Hasselblad Quick Coupling Plate S required to mount the camera on the unit? It is sold separately for some reason.
Thanks Ben, I am going with the Gitzo 2270M. It looks like the best option to keep the camera level. I shoot beauty/fashion. I want the camera perfectly level to save cropping headaches.
No. The plates are made available so you can add them to other cameras or lenses with a collar/foot and use the same QR tripod. I had S plates on every camera I owned when I shot V cameras.

If you are located in the USA, I can sell you the QR unit for $100. and extra S plates for $20. each. I don't shoot a V camera anymore and don't need as many as I now have. Just PM me.

-Marc

scott kirkpatrick

This won't suit everyone, but I replaced the thin sheet metal coupling plate on my 500 C/M with Joe Codispoti's $50 Clearsight plate. It's thicker, and fits the standard RRS, Arca, Markins clamp jaws. For multiple Hassy's and one tripod, it might be simpler to use the Hasselblad QR plate, permanently affixed to that one tripod. And Hassy purists at Photo.net will be less offended.

This does not address the leveling issue.

scott