The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad back on Horseman SW-DII

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Tom_W -

Sorry for being slow getting back to this thread - I've been busy. In answer to your questions (in random order):

The Horseman + h39 back + lens and finder weigh 2.4 kg (5 lbs 4 0z). The combination is reasonably compact - I carry the assembled horseman, an extra lens, meter, imagebank and odds and end comfortably in a large messenger bag. I'm using this combination for landscape - there is no problem actually getting out into the landscape with it.

I don't use a groundglass. I carry a tape measure as a focusing aid. I use a Leica "Frankenfinder" to compose. I have the 35mm and 45mm lenses. The Leica framelines for 28mm and 18mm work quite well. I do shifts by estimate and guess - I check and refine using test exposures and the back's lcd. I've gotten to be relatively quick at this.

You can easily change the orientation of the back. This involves detatching the back adapter from the Horseman, rotating it and reattaching it. The cams that hold the adapter in place are small and nudgy - I wouldn't want to do this drenched in sweat or in a high wind. I don't actually do this because my Leica finder doesn't rotate - when I want to change orientation I flop the camera over on its side on the ball head, and use a pocket level. (I've tried an L-bracket but it interferes with the shifts.) This requires a robust head and tripod - I use a RRS ballhead and Gitzo series 3 tripod. I shoot at ISO 50 and f8 or 11 so a sturdy tripod is a must in any event. The rationale for this is that these lenses and the back are capable of remarkable image quality. You might as well optimize for shadow detail and camera movement and give yourself a slight break on focusing accuracy to get the full benefit out of the setup.

On the question of how robust is the combination in field use, the limiting factor is likely to be the back. The Horseman body is very robust. The lenses and shutters are typical - if you've used LF lenses before you'll be familiar with their strengths and weakness from an environmental sealing and ergonomic standpoint.

More to come

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Here is a sample stitch with the 45mm and 17mm left shift and 17mm right shift. Images are easy to combine as PS layers. (The back is also dropped 5mm to eliminate the foreground.) At f11. File dimensions are a whopping 12,390 x 5,412. This is getting up into Betterlight scanning back territory. Thank goodness the new LR dropped the 10k limitation.

Several things to note. The 45mm is dead flat rectilinear. It's very, very sharp. I've include crops showing where the corners would be unshifted, shifted 10mm and shifted 17mm.

Stitch
View attachment 7613

No shift

View attachment 7614

10mm shift

View attachment 7615

17mm shift

View attachment 7616

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Same barn with the 35mm. One in color so you see the effect of the uncorrected color shifts, one in B&W and a corner crop. The B&W is shifted about 10mm and dropped about 5mm. The cross on the barn would be centered if the back were centered - this gives you some idea of the impact of the sifts. Also f11. Again note the very strong performance of the lens in terms of linear distortion.

View attachment 7617

View attachment 7618

View attachment 7619

T

Tom_W

Woody,

Many thanks for this it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Tom

Paratom

angle of view - square sensor on Horseman SW-DII

This might be a stupid question...
Lets say one wants to stich to get a wide angle of view, and if we say with a P25(+) its would not be recommended to go to 17mm stich but just 10 because of the corner quality.
Now does that mean if I would use a smaller square sensor (P20 or cfv), that I could just shift a little further than 10 and I should get the same angle of view compared to what I could get with the larger sensor?Maybe I would have to take one more image but the end result should be the same?
Thanks, Tom

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: angle of view - square sensor on Horseman SW-DII

This might be a stupid question...
Lets say one wants to stich to get a wide angle of view, and if we say with a P25(+) its would not be recommended to go to 17mm stich but just 10 because of the corner quality.
Now does that mean if I would use a smaller square sensor (P20 or cfv), that I could just shift a little further than 10 and I should get the same angle of view compared to what I could get with the larger sensor?Maybe I would have to take one more image but the end result should be the same?
Thanks, Tom
Probably :) Bottom line is by shift-stitching, as opposed to pan-stitching, you are moving the sensor across the image circle of the lens. So whether you use 1.8 x P30 frames or 1.4 x P45 frames frames doesn't matter.