The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New CAMBO Shiftable Focussing Hood

M

MiGo

Hello to everybody,

I´m new to this forum and have found here so many informations about technical cameras with digital backs.
Thank You very much for this possibility!
For the last two years i have worked with the cambo system and a P45+ and it is very fine equipment.

The RS-System is growing:

I found something new on the CAMBO-WebSite:
The Shiftable Focussing Hood will fit to the Wide RS and is made with a Schneider Loup.

http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/set01/english/internet/Item22446.html

Looks very interesting when you like to use a groundglass with your Wide RS.

Michael / Germany

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.
As for that cambo accessory, I am not that thrilled for several reasons
First, 3x is pretty low for judging critical focus on that small ground glass; I would prefer an 8x or so magnifier.
Second, without a real sliding back, the act of taking off the ground glass and replacing it with a back leaves me cold. What do I do with the back? Put it in my pocket? How do I protect the sensor?
If I were to use ground glass focusing then I thing a real sliding back solution, a dark cloth and a real magnifier would be what I would want.
thanks
-bob

thomas

I found something new on the CAMBO-WebSite:
The Shiftable Focussing Hood will fit to the Wide RS and is made with a Schneider Loup.
wow, the shifting focussing hood is already finished - that's cool! Thanks for the info!

First, 3x is pretty low for judging critical focus on that small ground glass; I would prefer an 8x or so magnifier.
the nice thing on the WRS is you can flip open the focussing hood ... so you can use the 3x loupe for composition and a loupe with higher magnification for focussing ... without the need to remove the actual focussing hood.

Second, without a real sliding back, the act of taking off the ground glass and replacing it with a back leaves me cold. What do I do with the back?
Put it in my pocket? How do I protect the sensor?
if you don't care about exact composition you don't need a ground glass. but if you do you will certainly find an appropriate workflow to exchange the back and the ground glass.

Don Libby

I confess, I really really tried to embrace using a groundglass with my RS and failed. While this new gizmo certainly looks good I side with Bob's comments; this simply isn't a real sliding back with both groundglass and back.

This works in a studio environment where you'll likely have a table/stool handy by your tripod but it just plain sucks in an outdoor environment with blowing wind, dust and no place other than your pocket to put the back. The major problem I encounter while I owned and used my groundglass was the steps involved in using the thing; removal of the back and adapter, then placing the groundglass - then repeating the process in reverse. What some needs to do is come up with a nifty cover that can placed over top of the back adapter thus allowing you to keep the back and adapter together and protecting the back at the same time. At least with this type cover landscape photographers can then safely place their backs in a pocket while using the groundglass.

I tried using the groundglass for several months after I first got it but didn't like the added steps and soon tired of it and stopped using it all together. It took be several more months to finally get around to selling it. I've since picked up a slightly used viewfinder that I'm now using along with the masks.

Could it be better? Yes however nothing is absolute and all in all I still have a very warm feeling for my RS.

Don

etrump

I'm with Bob and Don. I love my Cambo RS but not feeling it for ground glass. I have found the viewfinder very functional for rough landscape composition.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Besides composition, a ground glass is useful for adjustment of tilts and the fine adjustment of focus.
So if I really want to work in the field carefully and not subject my back to abuse, a full sliding back seems to be the way to go.
This IMO is the one shortcoming of the RS.
Of course an alternative solution which I hope the back makers pursue someday real soon now would be live view tethering to something like an iPad with 100% magnification in a little window that could be moved around with a finger-touch.
That would do it for me and might even be more useful than a sliding back.
-bob

rhsu

I'm with Bob and Don. I love my Cambo RS but not feeling it for ground glass. I have found the viewfinder very functional for rough landscape composition.
I too totally agree. Still love the arTec though :mad:. Tried to jump ship but no bite for my WRS kit few months ago. I now have too much sunk into the WRS system to swap over.

Had Cambo able to retrofit the Rodenstock HR 90mm onto a T/S, a ground glass would be very handy due to large IC for plenty of movements.

We all just have to wait for the sliding back to make itself into the WRS system... soon.

Don Libby

Besides composition, a ground glass is useful for adjustment of tilts and the fine adjustment of focus.
So if I really want to work in the field carefully and not subject my back to abuse, a full sliding back seems to be the way to go.
Of course an alternative solution which I hope the back makers pursue someday real soon now would be live view tethering to something like an iPad with 100% magnification in a little window that could be moved around with a finger-touch.
-bob
Thanks Bob for giving me another reason to try out an iPad :salute:

Don

rhsu

-bob
I was hoping the new AirBook 11" would have FW port or express port so an FW express adapter could be inserted. However, only ONE Lenovo netbook 7" has a FW600 port. But with only 2gb memory and a rather slow processor, I think it may do the job. My DB app only runs on MAC OS unlike C1 can run on both MAC/WIN. So you might be able to try that avenue for live view tethering. FW express adapter (also eSata) will NOT work when inserted into the USB express adapter. It only works with wifi or broadband express card.

MAC emulator on WIN OS will not work with only 2gb memory. So we all just have to wait unitl what you have mentioned materalises (ie Leaf w/ their wifi).

I am sorry for renewing an old thread, I am in the process of acquiring a Cambo RS-1050 and am keen to know if a solution has been found for the sliding back? How does an architectural photographer compose? Coming from the old school of LF i would love to compose on a GG and not via a viewfinder. Alternatively a iPad viewer would be cool? any updates on this subject? Thanks

alan_w_george

I am sorry for renewing an old thread, I am in the process of acquiring a Cambo RS-1050 and am keen to know if a solution has been found for the sliding back? How does an architectural photographer compose? Coming from the old school of LF i would love to compose on a GG and not via a viewfinder. Alternatively a iPad viewer would be cool? any updates on this subject? Thanks
For composition, P1 IQ series Liveview works pretty well. Otherwise, just take a shot an evaluate the composition on the screen. Use the iPhone Viewfinder Pro App to get a general ideal of perspective and lens selection before setting up the tripod, if in doubt.

GG on MFD is a rat's hole, IMO.

etrump

What we really need is a peer-to-peer wifi connection between the iPad and IQ180 so we can use it on tech cameras for framing and focusing.