The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some advice please - Hasselblad Cameras

Valentin

... I used to work all day at iso 160 and 400 as a maximum with film - I'm really surprised more pros are not going this route.
Do you remember how limiting that was? For me, there are two factors: flexibility and price. Since you need a back up, the ROI is not there: do you really need the MF for getting ready and reception shots?

tim driver

Renting is high on my list as is tracking down both the 31 and 40 so I can get some comparitive fies to process at diffeent iso's - For me I intend to keep and shoot with a D3 outfit for a lot of the prep work - and I would retain the 3rd backup outfit in the car in case of equipment failure.

I'm not implying I would shoot the whole day on MF but a lot of photographers seem to have forgotten or maybe were not around when 6x6 square was standard

fotografz

Hi Tim, Welcome!

I've shot weddings with a H2D/22, a H3D/31, H3D-II/31 and now shoot with the H4D/40. I've other MFDs, but the H4D/40 is the one I now use for weddings and portraits ... just as the H3D-II/31 was used before it. I do not use the H4D exclusively ... I also have a 35mm DSLR and Leica M9 with me.

The primary operational difference between the H3D-II and H4D is True Focus/focus lock. The primary difference between the 31 back and the 40 back is about a stop improved ISO performance. That translates into 400 from the 40 looking closer to 200 from the 31 back. The minor resolution difference is apparent only with larger prints or more severe crops. I have also noticed that the noise structure of the 40 is a bit nicer.

Personally, I wouldn't advise renting one for a wedding shoot. To get relatively quick with the H takes time ... and frustration with the camera at a wedding may put you off it prematurely.

These cameras are great, if you have an end use for what they can do. I sell a premium album with 20" X 20" spreads, and each clients gets a 16" X 20" print. But even a normal print looks great because of the tonal latitude.

Gotta run ... on vacation in S. FL.

-Marc

tim driver

Thanks Marc - Really appreciate the time you took to answer this on vacation, you o if I drop you a mail when you get home.

Tim

fotografz

Thanks Marc - Really appreciate the time you took to answer this on vacation, you o if I drop you a mail when you get home.

Tim
Any time Tim. We're winding down today, and travel back tomorrow :(

There are a ton of tricks and settings that can be done to make shooting a wedding with an H camera much closer to the speed of a DSLR.

I have my H set so I can shoot a manual WB shot with one button ... no menu, nothing but press the button ... done.

True Focus is assigned to the rear thumb button so I can use it only when I want it.

I use a dual-lug Arca type quick release plate that allows the use of a hand-strap and a shoulder strap at the same time. The shoulder strap is one of those stretchy types that acts like a shock absorber when carrying the H for any amount of time.

I have a Kirk grip so I can use an on-camera Metz in concert with a Skyport radio sender for my Quadra's which plugs into the side of the H.

Use a Monopod with a RRS Monopod head that's fast as hell for flipping from landscape to portrait. Never used my L plate after getting this head.

The practice part of using the camera is getting the buttons down pat without taking your eye from the viewfinder. Kinda like playing a musical instrument ... if you have to look, it's to late ... :ROTFL: Fortunately, the ergonomics on this camera were really well thought out and it is possible to comp flash or camera exposure, set manual WB, or swap ISOs very, very fast.

Many of the shots on my opening flash section of my website are MF. The couple in the forest was the H3D-II/31 available light, and the Bride on the couch was with the H4D/40 using one strobe and on-camera fill. In the Portrait section, the riding cowboy was the 31 available light, as was his portrait.

www.fotografz.com

We'll talk more.

-Marc

tim driver

So It looks like i am going to buy a H4D-31 unless someone (My wife excluded) comes up with a good argument why I should not.

My thinking is - I know that the H4D-40 is a newer technology back but it is close to $6300 difference in price and I just cannot justify that at this time when it would let me buy the lenses I want as well and I will need to learn to shoot MF again and start to sell the benefits to my clients before upgrading at a later date.

To shoot weddings from the information I have gathered true focus is the big advance in the HD4 which makes this more practicable.

I currently shoot D3 and the extra resolution will be plenty for the size albums I produce and hopefully selling more large prints.

I intend to work mostly with a monopod when using the MF camera and mix this with Nikon D3 for low light and fast moving periods

I need to make the purchase in the next month as sales tax and a hasselblad price increase are apparently pending.

Many thanks for your input to date - I'm sure I will have a load more questions shortly
Thanks
Tim

fotografz

So It looks like i am going to buy a H4D-31 unless someone (My wife excluded) comes up with a good argument why I should not.

My thinking is - I know that the H4D-40 is a newer technology back but it is close to $6300 difference in price and I just cannot justify that at this time when it would let me buy the lenses I want as well and I will need to learn to shoot MF again and start to sell the benefits to my clients before upgrading at a later date.

To shoot weddings from the information I have gathered true focus is the big advance in the HD4 which makes this more practicable.

I currently shoot D3 and the extra resolution will be plenty for the size albums I produce and hopefully selling more large prints.

I intend to work mostly with a monopod when using the MF camera and mix this with Nikon D3 for low light and fast moving periods

I need to make the purchase in the next month as sales tax and a hasselblad price increase are apparently pending.

Many thanks for your input to date - I'm sure I will have a load more questions shortly
Thanks
Tim
Tim, IF you are in the USA, one reason to go for the H4D/40 is the current lens Promo:

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/77213.aspx

The incredible HCD 35-90 zoom is included in this promo deal (which I'll bet was a boo-boo on Hasselblad's part since it is a $7,200. lens : -)

A $7,200. lens minus what a HC 80mm costs used, places the H4D/40 at or below the price of the H4D/31 with an 80mm ... at least IF you have the money, and of course IF you go for it before December 31st. The 35-90 is now my most used lens at weddings followed by the 100/2.2. I sold my 80mm because I never used it ... the 100/2.2 is the faster, better lens.

If you are in the USA, PM me and I'll tell you how you might save a few more bucks.

-Marc

tim driver

Marc unfortunately in the uk and cannot get the offer, which looks superbIf I imported from USA import taxes would take away most of the saving.

in all seriousness how did younget on with the 31 back

Tim

symbolphoto

Tim, just to give you an idea how much you can 'PUSH' a file....

When i was shooting that's as much as i could get out of shutter speed. This is HAND HELD. ISO400 1/80th @ F4 . I'm looking at the back screen thinking, "Man this isn't going to do". Brought it through Phocus and Photoshop (No special tools run or noise reduction. Just adjusted levels and colorbalance.)

PS: Technically speaking the stained glass i could bring across underexposed and merge, but i wasn't that anal about this photo.

Enjoy.

V

videofame

You can batch the auto corrections, but i also adjust in Phocus as well. This isn't necessary, but i feel like the files have a little more fine-tuning in Phocus than they do in Lightroom. And i incorrectly stated that i do files from Phocus into Lightroom, i made a mistake. I meant i do corrections in Phocus and go straight to Photoshop.
I have Photoshop Pro CS5 and wondered what you meant by going straight from Phocus to Photoshop. Is that you way of saying you save the Phocus image corrections to a PSD file? Sorry I just didn't quite understand. :confused:

rem

A question to the wedding photographers with the Hassy... I ask me all the time: How is it with the "shutter noise" from the camera? Already my D3 is not quiet and the Hassy is much louder. Is it not very disturbing???

symbolphoto

I have Photoshop Pro CS5 and wondered what you meant by going straight from Phocus to Photoshop. Is that you way of saying you save the Phocus image corrections to a PSD file? Sorry I just didn't quite understand. :confused:
Yep, just converted to TIFF, resized in photoshop and added border and logo.

symbolphoto

A question to the wedding photographers with the Hassy... I ask me all the time: How is it with the "shutter noise" from the camera? Already my D3 is not quiet and the Hassy is much louder. Is it not very disturbing???
Well you are right it is much louder. I don't think people are really bothered by it. I think the following thought process takes place by most guests:

1. Hey that was a strange sounding camera, what is he shooting with?
2. Whoa that looks serious.
3. Well he's the professional and is supposed to be here. Back to looking at other stuff. Or thinking about what i need to do when i get home :ROTFL:

That's my take on it.

MaxKißler

Hi Tim,

have you already got your H4D? Let us know.

BTW don't bother not to get the H4d-40. I switched to MFD for the sake of shooting experiance and dynamic range. So far I'm quite happy with that old gear of mine.

Regards
Max

fotografz

The shutter is a leaf shutter in the lens. It is the mirror slap of the larger 645 mirror that makes the noise.

If in quiet conditions during the ceremony, I put the camera on a tripod, frame, focus and lock the mirror up ... the actual leaf shutter noise is quieter than my Leica M9.

-Marc

fotografz

Pro my man, nice shots. Amazing recovery.

I'd do something in between to retain some of the drama of the under-exposed shot.

Big reco to get Photo Tools 2.5 for people work when shooting with the ruthless fidelity of the Hasselblad MFD. It's a PS plug-in I use all the time for weddings and portraits.

Just a couple of clicks gets you to something like this ... even with a sub one meg jpeg ... looks MUCH better working with a full sized Tiff.

-Marc

tim driver

Thanks for the pictures really impressed with the level of recovery in both files - thanks for the wedding pic gives a really good idea of what can be done handheld.

Marc - Are you saying with the mirror lock up its locked up the whole time or like on a slr where you lock it up and it releases when you take your finger off the button so you choose when to release it ?

Tim

Tim