The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Screw the wishlist, we need a MF addicts HELP line!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
In re gear we really need versus what we have:

At the end of the day I can generally do 95% of any shooting assignment with only three lenses. In 35mm those would be a 28, 50 and 85 (or close to that), in 4x5 it would be a 75, 150 and 300, in medium format it would be a 55, 80 and 150.

The problem is I need all the other stuff to cover the extra 5%... (Yes, abandon hope!)

:D,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And a totally OT tidbit:

Dante wrote "Inferno" after taking a walk through the limestone cliffs of Les Beaux (France). If you've ever been there, you immediately see the massive natural cliff "sculptures" as the villainous creatures he describes in those writings. This happens to be a shooting spot for our Southern France "Gourmet Photography" shoot whenever we get it scheduled, maybe when the dollar recovers a bit like spring 2010... Anyway, we have arranged access to a private quarry in Les Beaux, replete with with massive stone blocks as backdrops, specifically to photograph "environmental" nudes in that particular setting. Should be awesome!

fotografz

In re gear we really need versus what we have:

At the end of the day I can generally do 95% of any shooting assignment with only three lenses. In 35mm those would be a 28, 50 and 85 (or close to that), in 4x5 it would be a 75, 150 and 300, in medium format it would be a 55, 80 and 150.

The problem is I need all the other stuff to cover the extra 5%... (Yes, abandon hope!)

Trouble is, the minute you pare down to 3 lenses, all the work shifts to the three lenses you don't have. It's the "gear" rule of thirds.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Trouble is, the minute you pare down to 3 lenses, all the work shifts to the three lenses you don't have. It's the "gear" rule of thirds.
:ROTFL: SO TRUE!

And the Murphy corollary is: no matter what single lens you decided to leave back in the cabinet, it will be the one you need that day's shoot.

David K

Workshop Member
Jack, you are on the money with the want vs need thing but it's almost like there's a force of nature involved. When you get a new camera/back there's a momentum involved. When I was shooting Canon there weren't many of their lenses worth owning that I didn't have (not to mention all the exotics with adapters). With Nikon I swore I'd limit myself to the three zooms... then came the 85 1.4 and 24 PC-E (clearly must have lenses). Now it's happening all over again with MF lenses... I refuse to count them. I can't help but think Imelda Marcos somehow really needed all those shoes (2700 pairs according to TIME):)

RGoldman

And a totally OT tidbit:

This happens to be a shooting spot for our Southern France "Gourmet Photography" shoot whenever we get it scheduled, maybe when the dollar recovers a bit like spring 2010...

Can I sign up now? If I avoid all the temptation of the 28mm, the 45-90mm, and the new 150mm, I might be able to save enough in 2 years!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Fundamental Theorem of Gear Acquisition.
let f be a continuous real-valued function defined on a closed interval [a,b] where a=0 and b=total equity
Let F be the function defined for all gear in [a,b]
⌠gear​
F(gear) = ❘ f(t)dt
⌡a​

and

according to the squeeze theorem
lim gear' = b
gear->b

PSon

Bob is there a push and pull theorems along with your squeeze theorem? Perhaps this will accelerate my half life, T1/2 to a faster rate.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob is there a push and pull theorems along with your squeeze theorem? Perhaps this will accelerate my half life, T1/2 to a faster rate.
Perhaps, but to be fair
although the function F can be proved to be continuous over the interval of [a,b] the time valued series of acquisitions, which is needed to compute T1/2, is non-linear and possibly discontinuous, however it is intuitive that any acquisition xn
where xn - sum(x1..xn-1) > 0 moves you in that direction :ROTFL:
This is possibly true for the first MF purchase

-bob

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And a totally OT tidbit:

This happens to be a shooting spot for our Southern France "Gourmet Photography" shoot whenever we get it scheduled, maybe when the dollar recovers a bit like spring 2010...

Can I sign up now? If I avoid all the temptation of the 28mm, the 45-90mm, and the new 150mm, I might be able to save enough in 2 years!
Sure you can, but this one is likely to be a bit more expensive that our normal workshop. I have already arranged lodging (5 days in Arles, 5 in Avignon), group transportation in luxury busses, breakfast and gourmet dinners (or lunch) for every day, figure models for Les Beaux, figure models with Gypsy wild horses running in the surf on the Cremargue, a Bullfight in the Nimes arena, private evening reception/tour of the Van Gough museum in Arles, AND museum an shopping tours each day for the significant others you may want to bring that don't want to go to the photo destinations.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Sure you can, but this one is likely to be a bit more expensive that our normal workshop. I have already arranged lodging (5 days in Arles, 5 in Avignon), group transportation in luxury busses, breakfast and gourmet dinners (or lunch) for every day, figure models for Les Beaux, figure models with Gypsy wild horses running in the surf on the Cremargue, a Bullfight in the Nimes arena, AND museum an shopping tours for the significant others you may want to bring.

These days we might just have to settle for a bit of bread, a bottle of wine and some Lyon sausage
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I can save you the formula... I call it the "Flesher Ideal Gear-Flow Law." The simple result is, "The density of your wallet approaches zero as the volume of your gear increases toward ideal."

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
These days we might just have to settle for a bit of bread, a bottle of wine and some Lyon sausage
-bob
Uh no... Chateaubriand with seared Foie Gras, accompanied by an unassuming Borgonne and succulent local Sauternes. Followed by a bitter greens salad with a Margoux. And of course, a perfect Gran Marnier Soufflé for dessert.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bob, I can save you the formula... I call it the "Flesher Ideal Gear-Flow Law." The simple result is, "The density of your wallet approaches zero as the volume of your gear increases toward ideal."

Wait I am putting this quote in the buy and sell section:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: