The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya DM Systems

Analog6

I've just come across these models - yes, I now realise it's been around since July 2009 but the prices for them are very reasonable and it looks to be more portable and easy to handle than the blad. And a body/back and 55-110 and 105-250 zoom would be a pretty good kit.

Anyone know anything about them? Anyone using the zoom lenses? With a 50 f2.8 for low light it would be a darned good setup I think. I read a thread on here that said not too hot at higher ISO but frankly, neither is my H2. I usually shoot at 50 or 100, max 200 if I am really pushed, so ISO would not be a factor.

Any tips, gen, advice much appreciated. I have a bad back and 2 dodgy ankles so any lightening of my load is good! The HC50-110 is a wonderful lens but a real back breaker.

yaya

I've just come across these models - yes, I now realise it's been around since July 2009 but the prices for them are very reasonable and it looks to be more portable and easy to handle than the blad. And a body/back and 55-110 and 105-250 zoom would be a pretty good kit.

Anyone know anything about them? Anyone using the zoom lenses? With a 50 f2.8 for low light it would be a darned good setup I think. I read a thread on here that said not too hot at higher ISO but frankly, neither is my H2. I usually shoot at 50 or 100, max 200 if I am really pushed, so ISO would not be a factor.

Any tips, gen, advice much appreciated. I have a bad back and 2 dodgy ankles so any lightening of my load is good! The HC50-110 is a wonderful lens but a real back breaker.
This was taken a few years ago with the 1st generation Aptus 22 on Mamiya AFD with the 55-110 at 110mm/ f11. 32sec exposure at 25iso

The DM22 is similar to the Aptus-II 5 and both are based on the same sensor as the one in the Aptus 22, with an improved LCD and FW800 technology.

The DM systems are based on the Mamiya 645DF body which is the latest generation of the 645AFD family, adding 1/1,600 flash sync (with Leaf shutter lenses), faster and more accurate auto focus and reduces shutter lag.
We now also offer the V-Grip AIR, adding comfort for vertical shooting with a built-in Profoto AIR transmitter...

I've been using the 645AFD system for nearly 10 years now and I've been pleased with the handling and performance

Hope this helps

Yair
Product Manager
www.mamiya.com | [email protected] | +44 77 8992 8199

kdphotography

Both the 55-110 and the 105-210 zooms cover a nice focal range and worked well in the days of film, but the demands of high resolution MFDBs definitely show the age and limitations of these particular lenses. I sold my 105-210 long ago, and I've heard a few complaints about difficulties using it because of needs to update firmware or other. I've kept my 55-110 because it can be a "convenient" lens (read: "lazy") at times. This lens/focal range could really use a "D series" re-working. I recently used the 55-110 and the 75-150 D series in a recent session, and the difference in quality was very noticeable.

The 80mm D is a sleeper lens, sharp, small and lightweight. No real fan-fare but excellent if you want to keep a small profile. For one lens flexibility, I'd opt for the 75-150 D over either of the older Mamiya zooms.

ken

Analog6

Thanks for those replies Yair & Ken.

I do shoot everything but landscapes are my main thing with med format so I really need the wide end more than the tele. I do plan to seriously investigate this system.

reflectedlights

Newb to the forum. Is there a section for troubleshooting? I have a DM22 (RZ67 ProIID) and when selecting Quick Format get the message "The digital back cannot format the disk. The digital back has encountered a problem." It shoots to the CF card just fine, but when I want to clear the card of all images via format, or use a different card I get that message.
San Disk 32GB or 16 60MB/s UDMA and 16MB 30 MB/s (non UDMA)
Firmware 4.993 Interface 1.9.8

I'm sure I'm not doing something right.

6x7

oh, I got this picture from Yair time ago (full resolution). stunning quality !!! didn't know it was shot with the zoom...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Newb to the forum. Is there a section for troubleshooting? I have a DM22 (RZ67 ProIID) and when selecting Quick Format get the message "The digital back cannot format the disk. The digital back has encountered a problem." It shoots to the CF card just fine, but when I want to clear the card of all images via format, or use a different card I get that message.
San Disk 32GB or 16 60MB/s UDMA and 16MB 30 MB/s (non UDMA)
Firmware 4.993 Interface 1.9.8

I'm sure I'm not doing something right.
I'd speak with your dealer (did you buy from us? I see you're down the street) about getting advice on CF Card compatibility both now and moving forward.

They can also help you keep track not only of what firmware is available but help you track of when/why you should update your software/firmware.

You should also read the Leaf article on formatting a CF card on a computer BEFORE using it in-camera. It's a minor annoyance and you only have to do it once per card, but it is important to making your experience glitch/issue free. [link to PDF]

These are just the sort of getting-to-know your back they are best at helping you with.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Both zooms are good when stopped down. Neither is very good wide open. I prefer the 75-150D a bit more than either of the other two but as you note the two non-D zooms are a good coupling of focal lengths. There is no 50mm/2.8 on this platform but both the 45D/2.8 and 55LS/2.8 are lightweight and are darn good lenses. The 45 is a bit soft at the corners on a full frame sensor high res sensors especially towards wide open, but on the crop sensors it's pretty good all around. I'd definitely pick up at least one prime so you have an option to shoot at f/2.8 or f/4. The Phase mid-length and semi-wide primes are very leight weight so adding one to a kit should be ok even with your restrictions.

Also as mentioned the 105-210mm was produced in two sub-generations (no optical differences) which had two different AF Sensor CPUs. The earlier of the two batches of lenses (which I understand are the minority of total lenses) are not compatible with the DF body and require a paid upgrade. Buying the lens from a reputable dealer will prevent any annoyance in this regard.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

reflectedlights

Thanks Doug....yep found the answer. Looks like I didn't go through the proper prep of the CF cards. All is well now. Excited to use it on the RZ. ALready had great results on my Fuji GX680III.

Thanks again!

F

FabianB

There may be some sample variations. I use the 55-110 with the Mamiya ZD back and it is sharp as heck wide open and just as good as the 35D and 150/3.5 which are the other 2 lenses that I'm using.:)

Greetings, Fabian

Both zooms are good when stopped down. Neither is very good wide open. I prefer the 75-150D a bit more than either of the other two but as you note the two non-D zooms are a good coupling of focal lengths. There is no 50mm/2.8 on this platform but both the 45D/2.8 and 55LS/2.8 are lightweight and are darn good lenses. The 45 is a bit soft at the corners on a full frame sensor high res sensors especially towards wide open, but on the crop sensors it's pretty good all around. I'd definitely pick up at least one prime so you have an option to shoot at f/2.8 or f/4. The Phase mid-length and semi-wide primes are very leight weight so adding one to a kit should be ok even with your restrictions.

Also as mentioned the 105-210mm was produced in two sub-generations (no optical differences) which had two different AF Sensor CPUs. The earlier of the two batches of lenses (which I understand are the minority of total lenses) are not compatible with the DF body and require a paid upgrade. Buying the lens from a reputable dealer will prevent any annoyance in this regard.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

archivue

Mind you ! ...

you can have a new GUI on the Aptus II line, but it's not available for the mamiya DM backs !

reflectedlights

Mind you ! ...

you can have a new GUI on the Aptus II line, but it's not available for the mamiya DM backs !
Yes, I discovered that also. Not sure the reasoning behind that. I have a DM22 with one interface and a Leaf Aptus II-7 with another. I've been in a battle mentally with whether to stick with the Leaf Mamiya combo or Hasselblad 203FE and 503CXi and use a CF-39 back.

On a different tangent... Personally I haven't liked the trend recently of all the new camera bodies being digital only and not allowing interchangeability with film backs. (ex Hassey H4 and Mamiya DF).

I too have pretty bad back trouble, a few to many exciting spills on motorbikes. I have the DM33 kit with the DF body and find it quite heavy still but bearable. I can't comment on the zooms as I just don't use zooms, but I can say that some of the older Mamiya glass (like the 2.8 A150 and the N45) is really light and stunning. I can just about bear the 80 2.8 AF D lens, plus those two mentioned in a bag with a waist strap to support the weight. The focus confirmation on the DF is really good. The DM33 back is gorgeous. 400/800 ISO is a bit ambitious but if you reduce the file size to about 40% after noise control it's actually not bad in a pinch. I find it's not great in tungsten light, but pop on a flash and even the higher ISO's are fine. It really loves a lot of light and rewards you for it.

Interestingly the Air Grip seems lighter than having six AA batteries in the handle. I might just be because there's more surface area to grip, I haven't actually weighed it.

Paul