The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dropped Hasselblad....and....

Professional

... this is what happened:

the piece where the the receiver of true focus or IR sensor or whatever called fallen out, and the main issue that i really feel sad about is a damage inside the camera which is shown on the shots, here are 2 shots to show the problem:

What do you think? is it a sensor or something else?

T

tetsrfun

I don't know the extent of the damage but I feel ill seeing the pictures.

Steve

yaya

The IR filter is cracked, you'll see it if you remove the back from the body. Doesn't look like the sensor is damaged.
If it's just the filter your dealer should be able to replace it for you.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Bad luck Tareq . I feel sorry for you .

To me it looks very much like a broken glass and some small particles on the sensor , at least when looking at the first image .
The sensor seems to be ok.
But this is purely speculation . Whatever it is , it surely is a case for the HASSELBLAD repair people .
:thumbdown:

Professional

I see, i really don't want to open the back by myself to check, maybe more particles will spread if something broken inside, and i don't want to make it worse if removing the Dback will increase it, so i will take it soon to the dealer and see what he will tell me about it.

gogopix

Subscriber
well the good news is that the sensor looks ok. You can see the pixels behind the 'crack image'
This is like the feature on the M9 due to early bad batch. Mine had and it ;looks like this. Note the dark and light, just like yours. (see the "dont panic thread in the M9 forum) search gogopix
Just the cover.
Worth having it done right though.

Bad luck, but fixable.
best
Victor

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Got back my camera from service :(
Paid too much money, around 1960 euro :( :( :(

Thanks all!
But then again, looking on the bright side, you didn't kill the actual sensor so you're probably up 10k+ euros! :)

The optimist in me also says what the heck, fixed and serviced too so life is good :thumbs: (my 645DF & 75-150 are at Phase One at the moment for some love & attention so I'm trying to be up beat :D )

Professional

But then again, looking on the bright side, you didn't kill the actual sensor so you're probably up 10k+ euros! :)

The optimist in me also says what the heck, fixed and serviced too so life is good :thumbs: (my 645DF & 75-150 are at Phase One at the moment for some love & attention so I'm trying to be up beat :D )
I was planning that this money should go for the H4D payment, but it seems that i have to delay one more payment for next month.

fotografz

1960 Euro means it was more than just a sensor cover replacement which is about $500. and is done in Denmark. I scratched one once, and that's what it cost to replace it.

-Marc

GrahamWelland

For my Leaf Aptus 65 replacing the sensor glass UV/IR cover was $900 or so. If MAC group had fitted it then that would have been plus labour & mark up etc etc. As Marc says though, I suspect that there must have been more to the fix for the 1960 euro price than just replacing the front sensor filter glass. Maybe some other calibration/updates? Taxes & fees too perhaps?

Professional

There are many things, but really i was not sure if all those things worthy that much of bucks, i thought it was just a damage on the filter or so, but it seems it is not the only part that needs repair, it is like they checked all the camera [i suppose] and repaired what it should be repaired, at the end, the money has been paid and i am so sad about it and i hope i will not have this problem again.

R

Ronan

Damaged IR filter, had that on my D2x.

Be ready to cough up overpriced repairs... IR filters are cheap, and they aren't too hard/long to replace.

But for some reason Nikon/Canon (and im willing to bet Hassy) overcharge... by a LOT :(

Edit: Almost 2000 euro? LMAO!... I HOPE they gave you a very detailed explication on what they did...

tjv

Come on! We're talking about a repair to a camera that is worth way more than all of my worldly processions and over twice as much as the average yearly wage in my country. The camera was dropped and the sensor glass cracked. If anyone thinks 2K Euro is too much to repair $30K Euro worth of camera, and for something that could have potentially knocked goodness knows what else out of alignment, they shouldn't buy into the system in the first place.

GrahamWelland

Well, that seems a little harsh. If you've got to find $2k euros that you hadn't planned on then it kind of changes the perspective of things, especially assuming that it's not covered by insurance. Sure the back is expensive but that doesn't necessarily mean that the OP has cash just sitting around. You have to have some sympathy for these type of unplanned things happening to somebody.

tjv

Well, that seems a little harsh. If you've got to find $2k euros that you hadn't planned on then it kind of changes the perspective of things, especially assuming that it's not covered by insurance. Sure the back is expensive but that doesn't necessarily mean that the OP has cash just sitting around. You have to have some sympathy for these type of unplanned things happening to somebody.
Sympathy, sure, as a working photographer I feel for anyone who's tools break down or kit hits the ground hard and breaks. I insure all of my gear, and I'd especially insure a big ticket item like a H4D-60 against accidental damage, theft, etc. I don't know why anyone would take the risk not to take out cover.

I apologize if my tone comes across harshly, I certainly don't mean it too. It's just that my home city has been devastated twice recently by natural disasters and I have personally had to claim on loss of gear twice as a result in the last six months. It's still a painful process mind you.

fotografz

Come on! We're talking about a repair to a camera that is worth way more than all of my worldly processions and over twice as much as the average yearly wage in my country. The camera was dropped and the sensor glass cracked. If anyone thinks 2K Euro is too much to repair $30K Euro worth of camera, and for something that could have potentially knocked goodness knows what else out of alignment, they shouldn't buy into the system in the first place.
Only the OP knows the circumstances of the accident and how hard the fall was ... so the "not buying into the system" comment appears odd at best. Sometimes luck, good or bad, plays a role in an accident ... these tools aren't hammers for goodness sake. Heck, I knocked over a tripod with a 555ELD camera and Kodak Pro back ... which then crashed down an entire flight of marble steps, and the back was fine ... I was just lucky.

If I were shooting in dangerous environments, with accidents being more likely, I'd use a less expensive tool, or insure an expensive one to the max. However, insurance for this kind of tool isn't cheap, and usually involves a hefty deductible to keep the premiums more reasonable ... so for this kind of accident, you'd be out money either way.

Trust me, there was more than just a cracked sensor cover repaired here ... Hassey doesn't charge nearly that much to replace a cover glass. One assumes the OP approved the repair and was told the extent of the damage prior to paying.

If not ... oh well ...

-Marc

Professional

Later i will post what the quotation is including as repair, so then you can tell if that is not bad cost, it is not only the filter, it seems they did other things as well, so i will post what that price included, also the price i post above also included the shipping, in fact the shipping cost is crazy, i can understand about the repair but that shipping is really weird, i think they use the most expensive shipping method to charge that much, i buy things bigger than just a camera and the shipping cost is much less than this, are they charging the shipping according to the camera cost or the weight?