The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica To Sell Lens Adapters - Pentax, Hassy and Mamiya on S2

KeithL

The vast majority of professional photographers use Canon & Nikon. This has little to do with image quality and everything to do with the comprehensive nature of the systems, availability, warranty, service, rental...

As things stand the Leica S2 is anything but a professional system; only time will tell if it has a future as such.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
On my personal list of evaluation criteria for any camera system I choose to use, the question of whether it's a 'professional' system is at the bottom of the list. The camera has to be able to do all I want to do with it and offer me an opportunity to also provide some sort of differentiation from everything else that everyone else is shooting.

doug

... the point of the example isn't really about ISO as much as it is about how the definition of what is a professional standard can be vastly different depending on context and status of the photographer (or his aspiration to status) within the industry.
This is Mike's point many are missing. The definition of a 'professional' system can be vastly different depending on the context and the photographer's particular needs. I don't see the point of getting hung up on the 'professional' label. More important is "Does it meet my needs?"

About the "EWWWW" thing.... that was my attitude until I used a (borrowed) Leica for a few months. I humored the old coot who offered it to me and within a week my Nikons were gathering dust.

I rarely mention the camera I use because of the widespread attitude that it's a rich wanna-be photographer's bauble, but when I show prints to gallery owners their eyes bug out, their jaw drops to the floor and for a few minutes they're speechless. Once they can speak again the first few things they say are remarks about the detail and color quality, then inevitably "What camera are you using?" I'd rather put up with the "EWWWW" attitude than give up the print quality I've been getting.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Please forgive the tangential (if not downright off-topic) nature of the question. Although I have sold some prints, I am not what anyone would call a professional photographer. I have a Leica M2 and an Epson RD1, both aimed at making use of the justly famous glass. but have hesitated on the M8/9 front because...

...I wear glasses and can't see through the danged viewfinders!:angry:

I've tried contact lenses on three separate occasions.

I've tried diopter adjustments, but then I have to juggle glasses and camera.

It's hard to frame a shot when you can't see the entire frame from any one vantage point.:cussing:

Of all I've heard about the Pentax 645D, the best thing is that the viewfinder is easy to use with glasses.:thumbup:

SO!

Are any of you glasses wearers? How do you cope?

Thank you!

Matt

stephengilbert

I suspect that a part (or most) of the reason that people are talking about whether the Leica is a "professional camera" is that Leica and many of its fans brag that it is.

And, or course, there's the too common implication by Leica fans that part of the specialness of Leica includes the fact that whatever you're using isn't as good.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
There is an interesting question coming up .

So , what is a professional camera ? ? ?

I am curious to hear some definitions .

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My answer would be on the lines of a system behind it. Personally I don't buy camera's I buy into a system. I think more Pro's buy in those terms than a individual camera. Say Canon for instance main would be a 1DSIII but a 5d2 as backup or even something of less value but 30 lenses or more plus many accessories behind that system that you can tap into be it purchase or rentals. Lets not forget repairs and turn time in this. In my terms a complete package that is easily replaceable on any given failure via purchase or renting.

Than you could get into build quality of main unit and such as well but I find that part secondary.

Mike M

Oh man I just reread my original post and it sounds so pretentious. Sorry about that...

Just wanted to mention that there should be no shame at all if Leica built a camera that will mostly only sell to enthusiasts. My cousin owns a small recording studio, and I'm acquainted with a custom guitar and power amp builder based in Los Angeles. He's similar in age to me and we share a lot of the same interests in music. Anyhow, I was impressed when first talking to him and finding out that he builds custom amps for several musicians that I like.... But he kind of sighed and said something like, "Well, those guys are great for knocking the gear around and using it in ways that we'd never dream about, and they have great ideas for features, but our real bread and butter is selling to the hobbyists that have disposable income and only play on the weekends. The famous musicians don't want to spend money or they just don't have any to spend." SO ever since that conversation, I've kinda understood how the business around high end gear works. The pros knock it around and give it legitimacy but the enthusiasts are the ones that finance it's creation with their disposable income.

Thank GOD for the enthusiasts!

doug

.... The pros knock it around and give it legitimacy but the enthusiasts are the ones that finance it's creation with their disposable income.
Which is why Canon makes its gear so visible at popular events like the Super Bowl: so the enthusiasts will see the sports photographers using it.

goesbang

I rarely mention the camera I use because of the widespread attitude that it's a rich wanna-be photographer's bauble, but when I show prints to gallery owners their eyes bug out, their jaw drops to the floor and for a few minutes they're speechless. Once they can speak again the first few things they say are remarks about the detail and color quality, then inevitably "What camera are you using?" I'd rather put up with the "EWWWW" attitude than give up the print quality I've been getting.
I gather from this that you are talking 35mm format. If this is the case, then you are absolutely right. Leica's "build the best (optically)and the buyers will come" attitude has earned them the reputation they have.
However, in MF land, we already have Hasselblad and PhaseOne producing camera/back/lens ranges with phenomenal standards. If the Hy6 does a phoenix act and rises from the ashes, the game gets even tougher. If you wanna play in this league it's "go hard, or go home", so a sub-40 MP sensor with three lenses is a bit of a whimper.
I'd hazard a guess that the guy who takes a print from an S2 to a gallery that
has been receiving prints from someone shooting on a P65+ or HD-60 or soon on the AptusII 12, is not going to get the same response as you did.
Only time will tell...

KeithL

I rarely mention the camera I use because of the widespread attitude that it's a rich wanna-be photographer's bauble, but when I show prints to gallery owners their eyes bug out, their jaw drops to the floor and for a few minutes they're speechless. Once they can speak again the first few things they say are remarks about the detail and color quality, then inevitably "What camera are you using?"...
Has it crossed your mind that they're looking at the wrong thing?

doug

I'd hazard a guess that the guy who takes a print from an S2 to a gallery that has been receiving prints from someone shooting on a P65+ or HD-60 or soon on the AptusII 12, is not going to get the same response as you did. Only time will tell...
IMHO the S2's advantage is (or, will be once the system is more complete) is the different working style it allows vs the Phase & Hasselblad competitors. I agree the image quality standards of medium-format digital cameras are uniformly high. Getting back to the original subject of this thread I see the lens adapters as a quick low-cost (low development cost) way to expand the system versatility while developing a more extensive lens and accessory lineup.

Geoff

Life was simpler when:

-real photogs did 4x5. Super real did 8x10.
- those of us who wannabe did 6x6 (I'm in that crowd).
- and everyone else did 35 mm - and hopefully got the good moment - with mostly Leica, sometimes the new kids (Nikon).

Take this as just a bit of levity in the hunt for simplicity.