The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica To Sell Lens Adapters - Pentax, Hassy and Mamiya on S2

ceh

Before I photographed Mamyia AFD III/Leaf 65s with lens Hasselblad Zeiss Distagon 4/40 CFE IF (last model) It's my best lens for landscape photography.
I do not see a reason that I have not used this lens on the S2:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
And it's on a Cube no less, it has to be good than. LOL

Funny I get that all the time with my Phase gear because most folks never see this type of gear. First comment always is it must take great pictures looking like that. You can guess my reply. LOL

Actually I am very nice about it but you know what I am thinking.

johnnygoesdigital

The arguments are the same, but as a H4D shooter, reliability should be considered more important. What difference does it make if the camera doesn't capture the essence of that moment? The sensor used in the S2 was released in 2008 by Kodak and both older H3D/50, and M8 use more or less the same 6.0 micron full frame CCD. I'm sure there will be many galleries full of S2 prints soon because they look great! Keith, your a snob who for whatever reason has decided against the S2, no matter what. People have said the high ISO is not great, but I say the faster lenses should help with that. Firmware updates will probably address more issues as the camera's strong and weak points are brought to light. It's the MFD shooters who want to just play indoors with their tethered cameras and not really add to the debate. I say the photographers who go out on safari's and repel off of a cliff or ride class 5 rapids or riding horseback through hours of mud... those are the ones who really know about cameras, then they hose off the S2's and give it to the wedding guys!

doug

Has it crossed your mind that they're looking at the wrong thing?
How do I say this politely...? They're looking at the entire package, Keith. technical and aesthetic. One told me flat-out he wasn't interested in wildlife photos but I got the best reaction out of him and a solo show coming up in a few months :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
However, in MF land, we already have Hasselblad and PhaseOne producing camera/back/lens ranges with phenomenal standards.
Backs & lenses certainly.

Even as a Phase DF & AFD II owner myself I don't think I'd rate the camera bodies as anything much better than merely ok - a long way behind my Nikon DSLRs in build, functionality and handling IMHO (Canons & Sony no doubt also). Hasselblad I'd certainly give more of a nod towards modernity and advanced functionality but not the Mamiya/Phase One bodies. AF abilities? Downright prehistoric ...

If the S2 can give Phase One/Mamiya a boot up the rear to raise their camera game then I'm all in favor of it!

KeithL

How do I say this politely...? They're looking at the entire package, Keith. technical and aesthetic. One told me flat-out he wasn't interested in wildlife photos but I got the best reaction out of him and a solo show coming up in a few months :)
Pleased to hear it, Doug, I think :confused:

KeithL

Doug, there can't be many if any other nature photographers trying to make real money with an S2. I wish you the best of luck.

jonoslack

Doug, there can't be many if any other nature photographers trying to make real money with an S2. I wish you the best of luck.
Nothing like being the first - Probably the S2 would make a wonderful camera for door photography too? (don't suppose there are many of those about either):). It's certainly one of the things I've been considering it for.

doug

I'm not using the S2 (among other reasons there are no native lenses long enough yet). If/when the time and $$$ comes when I can consider replacing the DMR I'll give the S2 a very thorough test and compare it with other candidate tools before spending the money.

My tests will include not only the equipment but also my technique and my typical subjects' response to the equipment. There's no point considering a larger-format camera if my technique can't take advantage of its performance or if my subjects are freaked out by the larger lenses. The S2 is on my (hypothetical) short list because the body hits a bullseye for everything on my checklist:

larger sensor
outstanding viewfinder for manual focus
weather sealed
excellent no-frills ergonomic design

and as Mark Dubovoy mentioned, the bokeh of the Leica S2 lenses is drop dead gorgeous - that's a very big deal for my photos. I'm also watching the user reviews of the Pentax 654D as they become available.

johnnygoesdigital

Keith,

I'm not understanding your argument against the S2 other than price differentials. Don't misunderstand me, saving money is important, but people are shooting landscapes and nature with H4D/60's, and there somewhat pricer than an S2. I shoot an H4D, and have loathed the dismal battery performance and lack of weather resistance and constant need to clean and re-set. I would never take this camera, (H4D), on a remote back country landscape shoot. The H4D and S2, pretty much share the same sensor, so it comes down to the resolving power of a lens. Which by the way, the S2 has much faster lenses! Personally, I like to find locations that are remote and rugged. Some of the best nature photographs are in adverse conditions. If i'm shooting behind a waterfall and I've hiked to get there, I'll factor that into the price. And if the camera gets covered in spray or droplets, I won't be concerned because it's an S2. I can't do that with an H4D. People tend to pay more for images that have that "wow!" factor. Something to consider is that the S2 is warranted against certain water damage.