The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

loving 55mm - surprising nice lens

faneuil

Rush is on for family xmas card shoots -- I've started pulling out my mamiya 645AF 55mm lens.
Surprised me how much I like the perspective and look. The 45mm always felt too wide, but the 55mm feels just right.

Below shot with P1 DF body, P45 back and 55mm lens
Eric

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have the new 55mm LS and it is a sweetie. Not exactly cheap though. But even the old 55mm is a good lens. Just watch the old 45mm as it can have corner issues. The new 45D is much better.

Just a observation but I think everyone that posted here has a crop sensor. Except Bill with a P65. Am I correct?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Us un-cropped sensor types have additional challenges getting some lenses to render well into the corners.
OTOH, I can't remember the last time I put a significant compositional element in the corner anyway, so I am a bit more forgiving for a bit of softness.
-bob

faneuil

Yes - my 55AF performs better than my 45AF in corners.
A 55mm LS would be nice, but >WOW< it is pricey.

I have the new 55mm LS and it is a sweetie. Not exactly cheap though. But even the old 55mm is a good lens. Just watch the old 45mm as it can have corner issues. The new 45D is much better.

Just a observation but I think everyone that posted here has a crop sensor. Except Bill with a P65. Am I correct?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I shoot the P65+, and my 45 AF-D was better than the 55 LS I tested, and hence I actually preferred the 45 as my standard "wide." However, the 55 definitely had a distinct "look" that was very pleasing, so it was not a quick nor easy dismissal of the 55LS for me ;)

SergeiR

A 55mm LS would be nice, but >WOW< it is pricey.
If you dont mind a bit of handy work, can do without AF and got cable release - old ones work just fine , so get up to 1/500 leaf shutter lens and would pay way less.

Then again - indeed, new ones are tasty :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you dont mind a bit of handy work, can do without AF and got cable release - old ones work just fine , so get up to 1/500 leaf shutter lens and would pay way less.

Then again - indeed, new ones are tasty :)
totally agree -- both the old manual 55 and the old 55 AF are very, very good lenses for the money. However, the 55LS does have a very special look that neither of the older Mammy lenses come close to; it's a combination of clarity and color rendition combined with the way the resolution gently falls off toward the edges that is unique -- even compelling. Course it doesn't hurt that it's a freaking laser in the center, even wide open!

Crap. Talking myself into one again! :ROTFL: