The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Keeping the Balance MFDB Vs 35mm Optics

robsteve

Subscriber
Son:

The 180mm APO Summicron probably has better bokeh than even the Noctilux. I measured the image circle of my 180mm APO summicron and it was 38-40mm, so you may even be able to use it with a MFDB if you could find the right adapters. It would have to be mounted for a camera without a mirror box and focused with Live view.

Here is a Noctilux shot from a few days ago, shot at F1. Everytime I think about selling my Noctilux, I get results like this, which make me want to keep it.

PSon

Rob:
Through thick and thin I noticed you have always been solid like a rock in which I respect. I thought hard about putting this thread up but I felt it was important to do so especially from someone who loves medium format system like myself. When I first put up the thread and started to prepare some 35 mm photos to display on the medium format forum at 6:00 AM in pacific time (still trying to get use to the late west coast time), I thought of your name and how you appreciate the long relationship you have with your 35 mm lens and the images you have kindly shared with us over the years like the one above. In fact your curiosity of how the Leica Apo Summicron-R 2.0/180 performs with larger image circle sensor provoked me through these time to find a way to capture the first image through the eye of this lens on a medium format digital back. I hope to find the solution and putting the lens on the P30+ one day.

In any rate I know that Guy and Jack and others have kindly shared many information with folks who are interested in the medium format digital system, which is much more supports than when I and other folks like Graham and David first started our medium format introduction. In addition, I also noticed Kurt and others diligently studied and prepared for their entry into the medium format digital system. Thus, I am sure everyone is ready for a new frontier with great excitement and my brief notes here is just a small step back reminder for them before/during their great leap to the new digital format. I wish them well and looking forward to see great results from everyone.

Best Wishes,
-Son

David K

Workshop Member
Rob,
You of all people should never sell the Noct. You get better results with it than most folks and when it works it's very special. I gave up on it but wouldn't have if I were getting shots like this.

Ben Rubinstein

I've got one that I don't use.... I had been using it on my canon and leica systems with tilt/shift with very interesting results.
Can you expand on that? I'm very interested in using MF lenses for stitching using shift on DSLR's, I'm talking to a major manufacturer about a better (easier to use, better looking, cheaper) version of the Zeork adaptor but I would love to hear what you are doing and how.

Can anyone here tell about which MF optics are in 35mm resolution territory? It may be nice to stitch and shift with MF lenses but if the resolution doesn't come up to scratch on a DSLR then I might as well stitch using rotational stitching...

PSon

Can you expand on that? I'm very interested in using MF lenses for stitching using shift on DSLR's, I'm talking to a major manufacturer about a better (easier to use, better looking, cheaper) version of the Zeork adaptor but I would love to hear what you are doing and how.

Can anyone here tell about which MF optics are in 35mm resolution territory? It may be nice to stitch and shift with MF lenses but if the resolution doesn't come up to scratch on a DSLR then I might as well stitch using rotational stitching...
1. Hasselblad Planar T* 2.0/110 F/FE

2. Hasselblad Superachromat 5.6/350 C/CF/CFi/CFE

3. Hasselblad Superachromat 2.8/300 FE

4. Hasselblad Distagon T* 4.0/40 CFE IF

There are others but these are the most easy to adapt on other system and are among the sharpest lens you will find in the medium format optics.

EH21

Ben,
Why use MF optics when you can use enlarger lenses like the apo rodagon which are smaller lighter and better optically and might even be cheaper? The only reason I went to the mamiya 80mm f/1.9 is that its compact and very fast. Of course with the enlarger lenses its hard to get a good wide, but schneider makes a very nice tilt shift 28mm and oly and nikon both make nice t/s that can be fit. Anyhow, if you really need a lot of shift you might want to check out one of the many different sliding backs for view camera type work. There are quite a few options, and now several on ebay for only $300. Just seach for digital back and they will come up. If you really just want to adapt MF lense to DSLR for tilt/shift then check out the Mirex adapters - they make ones to adapt either mamiya or hasselblad to nearly every 135mm camera mount.
Eric

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Hi Eric,

I had the Camera Fusion adaptor for large format, it just didn't work for my uses though if anyone wants to know about them I have never in my life worked with a company that has had better customer service!

How do you use an enlarger lens on a DSLR?

I need a t/s lens substitute not a sliding back, I thought that the excess of incredibly affordable MF lenses would give a wealth of opportunity for someone to come up with a shift adaptor that could enable the use of alternative MF lens solutions together with shift ability. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive or heavy, just a simple solution. The Zoerk adaptor would have worked but they are expensive and rather undermachined.

I've actually just found this site: http://www.stitchpix.com/options.html which I'm working my way through, didn't realise there were so many solutions for 35mm. I have to admit that the Mirex does look tasty! Are there any Mamiya 645 optics that are worth looking at on a DSLR, what about the 55mm?

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

1. Hasselblad Planar T* 2.0/110 F/FE

2. Hasselblad Superachromat 5.6/350 C/CF/CFi/CFE

3. Hasselblad Superachromat 2.8/300 FE

4. Hasselblad Distagon T* 4.0/40 CFE IF

There are others but these are the most easy to adapt on other system and are among the sharpest lens you will find in the medium format optics.
Are there any affordable ones Pham?

I'm looking for a ~50mm solution that can match my canon 50mm for resolution at an affordable price, does it exist?

robmac

I'll toss one out for Son to comment on - 50/4 FLE. $100 from KEH, cheaper on Street. If you want truly value-priced at 50mm, maybe look at one of the Mamiya manual focus 50s?

Ben Rubinstein

I read an old post on FM that said that the Mamiya C 55mm was sharper than the FLE, cummon, where are all the guys who shoot MF glass on their Canons?

EH21

Hi Eric,

I had the Camera Fusion adaptor for large format, it just didn't work for my uses though if anyone wants to know about them I have never in my life worked with a company that has had better customer service!

How do you use an enlarger lens on a DSLR?

I need a t/s lens substitute not a sliding back, I thought that the excess of incredibly affordable MF lenses would give a wealth of opportunity for someone to come up with a shift adaptor that could enable the use of alternative MF lens solutions together with shift ability. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive or heavy, just a simple solution. The Zoerk adaptor would have worked but they are expensive and rather undermachined.

I've actually just found this site: http://www.stitchpix.com/options.html which I'm working my way through, didn't realise there were so many solutions for 35mm. I have to admit that the Mirex does look tasty! Are there any Mamiya 645 optics that are worth looking at on a DSLR, what about the 55mm?
Ben,
I use the zork MFS system on my Canon and Leica cameras - but this solution only provides tilt and only works with enlarger lenses longer than 80mm. You can add the panorama adapter to get shift. I also use the zork on my Rollei 6008, but only for macro work. I have done a lot of experimenting with soft focus and very fast custom optics with the zork. The zork has served me well I guess but in all honestly its a bit fiddly. I'm not sure there is a perfect solution.

Mirex seems like a good solution to get wider lenses on your DSLR and I have seen some very nice wide samples with the mirex and mamiya optics (was it 35mm?). There are a few people with this set-up posting to photo.net and if I recall also fredmiranda so hopefully you can uncover that with a google search.

Eric