The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hy 6 e75LV still testing

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Congrats Woody and nice choice going to the 39 mpx . Man you guys are killing me everyone is buying the big guns. I may need to upgrade.:wtf:

No very happy with my 22.

woodyspedden

But it can only be usable in landscape mode. Turning the camera on its side makes the WLF unusable.

Yes, the Hy6 is the only current system which offers a WLF in both landscape and portrait modes. You just rotate the back, not the camera.
The only other camera I know that can do this is the Mamiya RB 67 ProII which uses a rotatable adapter which can rotate 90 degrees with the MFDB mounted. I had the chance to try this with the Phase P25 back and it is an impressive package. Of course no metering and no AF! But there are very impressive optics for this body and with appropriate back could be a great kit for the landscape shooter.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
In addition to the RZ there is the Fuji GX 680 that can do it too. It has the advantage of built-in tilt and shift on the lens standard... But it's a tank compared to the RZ which is a tank compared to the Rollei or Hassy.

PS: Welcome to the fray Woody!

Graham Mitchell

But there are very impressive optics for this body and with appropriate back could be a great kit for the landscape shooter.
I think this system makes sense for someone with a large exisiting investment in lenses, but the camera is a lot larger and heavier than it needs to be (a problem for landscape shooters). The viewfinder area is only half active. The lenses are a lot slower then the competing systems. The crop factor of digital backs means that the wides for this system are not very wide at all (another problem for landscape shooters), and that is on top of the points you mention such as lack of metering, lack of AF (or even focus confirmation) as well as a lack of the more modern features found on the latest MF SLRs.

David K

Workshop Member
Woody... another one bites the dust :) The revolving adapter for the Hy6 is a great feature. Although the Mamiya RZ (which I'm very fond of) also has it, as Graham pointed out it's quite a bit of kit to lug around. Better in the studio, IMHO. Anyway, congratulations to you on your new acquisition. Hope you get lots of great shots with it.

David K

Workshop Member
These kinds of photos would get me in trouble with the Mrs. She's a bit provincial when it comes to me photographing scantily clad nubile young women. I'll stick to subjects that don't need model releases.
I can understand that... I'm fortunate my wife indulges me in this regard. No model release for this shot... I consider it a landscape :)

lance_schad

Workshop Member
In addition to the RZ there is the Fuji GX 680 that can do it too. It has the advantage of built-in tilt and shift on the lens standard... But it's a tank compared to the RZ which is a tank compared to the Rollei or Hassy.

PS: Welcome to the fray Woody!
Yes Welcome Woody!:clap:

With the Fuji GX680 it is a nice system for product photography, but for anything else like landscapes and stuff it is a very bulky system. Surprisingly I ran the 50mm lens through our Focal Length Calculator (http://www.captureintegration.com/w...ocallengthequivalentcalculator_march6_081.xls)
and was surprised that it is equivalent to a 23mm on a 35mm system. It is because the image area of the film is 5.6mmx7.6mm
Here is a picture of the system:

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Has anybody tried the Mamiya right angle adapter as a pseudo WLF?
-bob

p.s.
David, I don't know much about landscapes, but I know what I like.:D

D

DougDolde

If the GX680 is bulky for landscapes what is a 4x5 or 8x10 ? I do have to say though that my Contax 645/Aptus kit with 4 lenses weighs and occupies about the same space as my Arca Swiss Field 4x5 and 3 lenses though. Most 4x5 lenses are pretty small compared to medium format ones.

Last edited: