The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 203fe metering vs pme prisim metering

drazin

Hey all,

New here and looking to add some ttl metering to my hasselblad. i was looking to get a 203fe body to use with my 80mm CFE lens, but i just discovered that the PME metered prisms have TTL metering capabilites.

does anyone have any experience with either? i have a 501cm right now and i just SUCK at metering with my goosen digisix incident meter.

should i get the PME meter for my 501 or should i get a 203fe?

woodyspedden

Hey all,

New here and looking to add some ttl metering to my hasselblad. i was looking to get a 203fe body to use with my 80mm CFE lens, but i just discovered that the PME metered prisms have TTL metering capabilites.

does anyone have any experience with either? i have a 501cm right now and i just SUCK at metering with my goosen digisix incident meter.

should i get the PME meter for my 501 or should i get a 203fe?
Drazin

I use the PME metering prism all the time on my 501CM and it works just fine if a little clumsy. You have to set in the maximum aperture of the lens and the ISO and then meter. You will be given an EV number to use on the orange (ev) legend on the lens. Now using the method to vary the combination of stop and speed for the lens and shutter you can keep the same EV while going to whatever stop suits your shot. Pretty easy once you get used to it but it is not the most accurate meter I have ever used. So I set it up and then take a quick shot or two to fine tune for the light. Then I just shoot and it works very well. Considering that you don't usually use a 501CM for rapid shooting but rather more deliberate shots these limitations aren't serious.

The 203FE of course uses in camera metering and from what I am told is very accurate. (I will be getting my body any day now). Of course the 203FE is a much later design and some of the issues of the 500 series were worked out rather well from all appearances. You might want to go to Karen Nakamuras link to get much more detailed info on the 203 FE. She can be found here..........http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Hasselblad200.html~mainFrame

Hope this helps

Woody

drazin

yeah i understand but i think the aperture priority where i can just set it to f2.8 and walk around and have it meter and take pictures. i usually just walk around and take pictures of things.

can you use a 10mm extension tube with 203fe?