The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P25 plus with Mamiya 55mm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
oh hell not sure where to put these. i dropped little Jack off to basketball practice and went and shot some grab shots with the 55mm since it was being asked about . There are a few wide open ones but i really like this lens. Like a 35mm on a FF DSLR body or more important to me a 28 cron on a M8/Just some random stuff. If anyone notices my file numbers there brand new. My back had a power button issue and Phase immediately replaced it with a new one. So I am back in business.

Dale Allyn

I have a used 45mm f2.8 coming. I'm hoping that it is as nice as this lens. I've yet to see samples from the 45mm, but several people have said that it's similar in image quality to the 55. (?) Guess I'll find out.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Great Dale love to see some snaps with it just to get a idea if i want to get one also at some point even though i have the 35 and 55mm i still like to try it and see if i like it. I guess it would be a 28mm on a FF DSLR.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks it really is a nice lens the only thing i don't like about it and the 45mm is the manual focus override which there is none on the lens and you have to use the body to do that. i love the push pull on the 150mm and 300mm to engage manual focus . The 35mm is a lens switch also but not a push pull. mamiya needs to make there new lenses with the push pull . Really like that style i will sometimes do AF than go to manual

Guy Mancuso

To tell you the truth the Phase backs really remind me of the DMR and M8 camera's with this Kodak sensor inside. They have the same rich color and saturation, I'm sure the Hassy's are similar also

Dale Allyn

Great Dale love to see some snaps with it just to get a idea if i want to get one also at some point even though i have the 35 and 55mm i still like to try it and see if i like it. I guess it would be a 28mm on a FF DSLR.
Guy, I'm sure I'll add a 35mm also, but I got the 45mm because it was available. In FF DSLR/135 film I like the 20mm to 24mm (and a even a bit wider) so I'm sure there will be a 35mm Mamiya lens in the bag eventually. The 55mm has a place too, and I love seeing you play with it.

robmac

Looking at these and other shots I keep keeping shaking my head as to why oh why do C &N keep sticking bloody robust AA filters over their sensors. The really show what a nice optic (not necessarily a costly one) can do with a nice 'clean' sensor with some fat-ish light buckets. Sigh.

Guy Mancuso

Exactly maybe not even close to being the greatest lens in the world but look at the final results and you start really liking what MF is all about. Big sensor Big pixels and lots of head room. Gotta love it. i was just telling jack that i went out with a small backpack my camera in hand with the 55mm and just walking around this site I shot at with complete comfort. I thought having these would be a real burden , how wrong I was. Pretty soon i will probably sell the Nikons, I think I can do it all with this.

Dale Allyn

Guy,

I'm amazed by how comfortable the Mamiya AFDII is to hand-hold as one does a traditional DSLR or film 35mm SLR. If feels remarkably stable for me with my left hand underneath and my left elbow against torso/chest. By the camera being more full in the bottom if feels better/more stable than my SLR stuff. That's not what I expected.

Guy Mancuso

I agree just was talking about how i am able to handhold this very very well. My left hand cups the whole thing and my left elbow just tucks into my body very naturally and very solid platform. i want the new body though, I don't like the old AFD loaner i am using for now

Guy Mancuso

maybe me i opened the shadows up there, may have taken it a touch to far.

How it looked before playing