The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Want to BUY A MF DB For My Weddings

rollsman44

I was told that I would need at least a Min. 30 megapix DB to see enough of a difference from my Canon 5D MK2 using Canon L lenses. I have a budget of appr 6500 to do this if its possible and worth doing. I appreciate your help with my situation. thanks, I will still keep my canon 5D Mk 1 as Primary rollsman

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
See a difference in what?

Color, gradations, file flexibility, skin tones, look of the lenses, variety of bodies you can use it on, 3d feeling, out-of-camera sharpness? Any modern back of any resolution and most of the legacy backs will smoke a 5D Mark 2 (even a Phase One H25 from 2003).

Large bright viewfinder, availability of waist level finders and vertical shooting without turning the camera, bodies with different-than-35mm ergonomics (for better or worse depending on your preference), availability of leaf shutter lenses, availability of built in wireless transmitters for flash? Many medium format cameras have some or most of those and no dSLR does.

Resolution? I'd argue (from experience - though see my signature for my bias) an 18mp back exceeds the real world detail of a 5d mark 2 with L lenses.

Please don't fall into the marketing trap of resolution. It IS important (crops, large prints, repurposing etc) but it is only ONE element of many that makes a camera right for you - or not right for you.

No medium format has video-capture or on-lcd live view. Most medium format cameras are going to be slower, heavier, not perform as well in low light subject tracking autofocus, and have ISOs fairly or very limited compared to dSLRs. There are a few exceptions here like the P40+ which will shoot ISO3200 at 1.8 frames per second (with a virtually infinite buffer) though at a reduced file resolution. And to get the most out of medium format you'll need good technique and experience/practice (an out of focus or camera-shaken 80 megapixel file won't go as far as a sharp 22 megapixel file).

Consider all the positives, all the negatives, talk to a dealer that you trust that can help sort through various options, then TRY a camera out (include some prep time to just get used to it) in a real world scenario and decide for yourself.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off[/size]

David Schneider

My daughter is getting married in a few weeks. We're using mf (H3d2-39) for formals, some fun stuff with her and groom, basic things like father-daughter dance/cake cutting/best man speech/etc. But for reception candids will stay with 5dMK2. The high ISO is the difference for those candids. A touch of on-camera bounced and it can pick up lots of ambient light.

rollsman44

That MF system is out of my Budget. Is the Phase on 25 good for what I need? If so, what Camera bodies can I use ? Mamiya, Hassey ????
What about a Leaf Aptus II-6 DB ? I was thinking of this one and a Mamiya 645 AFDII/III with it. Thanks, rollsman

thomas

That MF system is out of my Budget. Is the Phase on 25 good for what I need? If so, what Camera bodies can I use ? Mamiya, Hassey ????
What about a Leaf Aptus II-6 DB ? I was thinking of this one and a Mamiya 645 AFDII/III with it. Thanks, rollsman
you can use all the Phase One and Leaf backs on almost all medium format cameras. On Hassy it's limited to V, and H1 + H2... up from the H3 only Hasselblad backs will work on a Hasselblad camera.
So basically you can choose from Mamiya RZ, RB or 645, Contax 645, Hassy H1/H2 and some more.
I'd first look for the right camera and afterwards for a back.
With an Aptus II you certainly won't go wrong.

O

OSC

You may want to rent the system since funding is an issue especially around wedding time. I remember I also wanted to rent a digital back for my wedding but I just could not afford it. Thus my wedding was taken with the Canon 1Ds and 8x10 film. Back then the P25 was much more expensive than today.

Valentin

Thank you. I am looking and asking as much as I can from the forum hoping to narrow it down. rollsman
The problem is that you don't know how much used backs run for. The good part is that many backs fit many of the main players in the MF market (with the exception of the latest models from Hassy).