The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is The IQ Better using The RZ 67 vs 645 AFDII/III

rollsman44

I know its a 6x7 format but how does it work with a DB vs the 645 AFD II/III body? Larger image area? or ?? thanks, rollsman

kdphotography

The RZ uses an adapter plate which allows you to use the same MFDB (same sensor size) that is used on the 645AFD Mamiya/Phase series bodies.

Valentin

Rollsman,

You need to find a place that has these models and hold them and see which ones feel right to you.

RZ is a beast compared with the AFD.

It's only so much that you can gather from forums. They are good for finding details about particular systems and backs, but it doesn't replace seeing the actual products.

Let's assume that somebody highly recommended the RZ (which is a great camera) and you set your sight on it. You go to a store and you get a shock (if you are not used to them) on the size (or worse, you buy it based on recommendations only). There is no way to convey that in a forum.

As I mentioned in another thread, write down the needs and wants and then see which system fits the criteria. Otherwise you will just waste time and jump from one camera to another without making any progress or come closer to finding something that suits YOU.

S

Shelby Lewis

Rollsman,

You need to find a place that has these models and hold them and see which ones feel right to you.
I can't second this enough... i still don't own, but I've now held and shot most of the systems in one guise or another.

Check out what less than one hour taught me about the difference between two backs on the same camera platform: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18463

I can't reiterate this enough... the backs and cameras all have such different strengths and weakness that no amount of forum perusal will illuminate. In the words (or title) of Sammy Nestico via the Buddy Rich Big Band...

... "Ya Gotta Try"!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X47v0Mz3N-k

All that said, the rz system will be neither better nor worse, but the glass does draw differently... quite beautifully if you ask me... and it plays really nicely with the lower MP backs. Just don't expect to handhold it very often.

It's a HUGE freakin' camera! (i love it)

Valentin

Check out what less than one hour taught me about the difference between two backs on the same camera platform: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18463

So, which back did you end up getting? Also, how much was it? I can't find a price for used backs for the life of me, not even from the dealers. I want to know what to expect for a used back (I am looking at the P30+ as well the Aptus if you saw my previous threads). Ultimately, can you please send me those files? It's hard to evaluate from a web sized image.

Thanks,
Valentin

S

Shelby Lewis

So, which back did you end up getting? Also, how much was it? I can't find a price for used backs for the life of me, not even from the dealers. I want to know what to expect for a used back (I am looking at the P30+ as well the Aptus if you saw my previous threads). Ultimately, can you please send me those files? It's hard to evaluate from a web sized image.

Thanks,
Valentin
Still waiting... nothing yet (imagine that :(). I was hoping there would be some October/November announcements for some new lower-end products and that the older products would price drop a bit. Didn't happen... so I decided to hold off since I was already going to be shooting less this fall (I'm in my first semester of a doctorate in music).

So... I'm in the same place you are (and have been for about 6 years, lol).

What I have found is that used p30+ backs are in the $7k-$9K range when they come up, sometimes a tad bit less, sometimes more... but I hear you on pricing. It's hard to get a feel for the market. They seem to be priced best when they are lumped in with a camera/lens combo. H1/80mm combos with a p30 are the ones I see the most.

I'll see if I can dig those files up. They're on some hard drives that are in storage right now (from the move in august), but I'll see what I can do.

I'm starting with an RZ, though... and probably keeping my canon stuff for mobility.

ETA: Capture Integration has a p30+ (v mount) on their demo/refurb page listed at $9500 and Digital Transitions has some "inventory clearance" p30+ backs at $9900 (v and M)

Last edited:

fotografz

I can add mention here concerning the RZ and use of Leaf backs.

I used my "Big Mammy" and a Leaf Aptus 75 & 75s for a fairly long time, and found the combination to be an ideal match ... most of the lenses worked very well with that 33 meg back. The Aptus 75 or 75s doesn't utilize micro lenses, so the Mamiya RZ Tilt/Shift adapter with short barrel lenses provides some perspective control without vignetting color casts. The T/S adapter is limited in movements, but helps with macro shots and DOF, can help with some shift needs with wide lenses, and in concert with the 180 SB lens can produce some interesting selective focus portrait works.

The lenses are interesting in that unlike most MF optic systems they have no moving elements to compromise IQ ... the camera utilizes bellows focusing like a view camera. Obviously, the lenses are designed to cover at least 6X7 so there is a lens crop factor when using a 645 D-back ... which I think was 1.5X ... so the issue becomes more apparent at the wide angle end with a 50mm being the widest non-fisheye lens = 75mm. Multiple shot stitching can mitigate that in certain shooting situations where a really wide view is needed.

The RZ MF system is perhaps the most versatile one ever made ... the array of creative tools is mind-boggling. The price paid is one of size. However, stripped of all the add-ons and do-dads, it IS possible to shoot it hand-held both in studio and on-location.

Here is my BIG MAMMY ... in it full blown studio configuration with metered finder, T/S adapter and 140 Macro lens + Leaf Aptus 75 digital back ... and stripped down to more manageable size using a waist level finder and Mamiya electronic grip (lens is a 37mm fisheye) ... remember, the back rotates so you never have to turn the camera on its side::thumbup:

:) Marc :)