The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 6 iPad with Capture Pilot A++

fotografz

Ha! Handbags at dawn.
Meaningless competition. Hassey owners will have it soon enough and Phase folks have it now. Can't use one another's software anyway, so what's the point?

Remote camera control and rating is exactly what I'm hoping for to keep the tether cord short from camera to laptop or tower (more stable) while operating from anywhere I want ... worth the wait if that is true. If C1-6 also has that, then great. Very useful feature.

Much appreciated improvements from both companies that benefit MFD users across the board :thumbs:

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW I was on a gig Thursday and was shooting my Phase kit and was doing a important shoot but I mentioned to my client the next time I can shoot tethered to my computer but I can give you a Ipad to walk around with and see what I am doing and you can make set/personal adjustments as your standing there. I got this look like what magic are you bringing me. Client really loved this idea.
Now folks this is a competitive market as we all know but the more functionality you can provide your client the more chances of returning are a given. This is not about us but your client and in the end more work for us the shooter. Something to think about. Yea we are shooters and we are geeks too but end of day it is about getting more food on our tables. Clients remember these things the next time a project comes up. My wife's Ipad may just get swiped. LOL

Terry

I just loaded up a session and the iPad App. The only two folders that I could chose from are selects and output. The main image folder for the session was not a choice. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
@Terry,
Yes that is correct, those are the choices.
@Guy
It seels that you can view but not make adjustments or picks as far as I have found.
-bob

Terry

@Terry,
Yes that is correct, those are the choices.

-bob
Seems slightly odd. I would have thought the app would be useful when doing a shoot so someone could see the images as they are being captured....a remote tethering screen. However, if you can only see the selects folder there has to be a step where someone at the tethered computer adds it to the selects folder.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If you create a "tethered" session, then a capture folder is created and it appears as an option.
The capture folder is sort of the main image folder. The session root folder is not an option presented.
-bob

Terry

If you create a "tethered" session, then a capture folder is created and it appears as an option.
The capture folder is sort of the main image folder. The session root folder is not an option presented.
-bob
got it - makes more sense now

rhsu

okay I'll admit my ears did just perk at the idea of tethering an iPod to my P45+/Cambo WRS. Then I starting thinking...

Firewire coming from the back and the iPod has a USB and I use that term loosely. We're talking about using the camera kit for the iPod then somehow be able to use a cable that would have an USB connector on one end and a firewire on the other. We'd also have to somehow make the iPod be willing to do a handshake with the P45.

Am I missing something here? Maybe the iPod II or III will be able to do this.
Don,

This is quite out of my league here but as always, stand corrected and learn plenty more is my motto.

Many have been trying to "hand shake" usb-FW ie adapter or chip embedded in the adapter. Unfortunately, because of the different protocols between the two modes ie USB vs FW, it cannot be done (for now at least). Others claimed they were able to use it with their FW keyboard with the MacBook (non-Pro - so no FW but USB ports only) and some able to connect the older Canon DSLR FW via the said adapter.

But we decided to try it and got a hold of all the available adapters and none will hand shake with any of our FW devices - even with own power source - including P25+, P45+, Sinar 75LV, HB, HDD etc with our Macbook Pro 15, 17 and Mac Pro. Even with PC winxp-pro 32.

Even with the USB Express 34 hub adapter to insert the FW Express 34 insert - because the USB port needs the PCI-e on the motherboard.

It was earlier used with the initial ipod fw docking. and those back them were able to use the FW docking via USB port. how? I don't know. Hope this answer your wishlist along with many out there with the lack of FW ports ie MacBook Air 11"!

:confused::( Brilliant idea...:thumbup:

S

selsoe

-bob

Furthermore, Albums and favorites kan also be used in Capture Pilot.

mediumcool

Others claimed they were able to use it with their FW keyboard with the MacBook ...
I’ve been using Mac OS for about twenty years and have never heard of a FireWire keyboard. The protocol is wasted on the teensy bandwidth needs of keyboards and mice.

yaya

An example for a Firewire keyboard

Regarding connecting an iPad directly to a digital back...even if you manage to make it connect physically, you still have to make the back do the necessary processing+transmitting of the data, which is not really possible by using the average hacker's skill set...

B

Ben Norton

An example for a Firewire keyboard

Regarding connecting an iPad directly to a digital back...even if you manage to make it connect physically, you still have to make the back do the necessary processing+transmitting of the data, which is not really possible by using the average hacker's skill set...

So wait... you plug the Leaf in the end of the keyboard and play the Close Encounters jingle for the back to connect right?

dhsimmonds

Still unconvinced! :)

The only time I ever see this screen on my Mac is when I use Google Chrome to download off the Phase web site! Changing to Safari solves it instantly!

Chrome is my default browser though. If only computers were as reliable as cameras............!!!!!;)