The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Got my PhaseOne V-Grip yesterday

goesbang

Righto, this one then...

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-arca-swiss-monoball-z1-dp-with-fliplock/p1027874

Looks virtually identical to the B&H one, but must in some tacit way be somehow superior - hence the 21% price premium despite Switzerland being a 90-minute flight away from here rather than NYC.

What about plates? Is there a plate to mount a DF with V-Grip horizontally? Or just got a regular length one?
Despite the name, Arca Swiss is in France.......

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Z1 has been reworked some from a previous model so be careful you are not buying old stock. When that exact change happened not sure but the previous model the ball could actually get stuck. The one I have is the latest and they also lightened it up in weight. Maybe look at the weight as a clue not sure but we do have a Arca Swiss member here that maybe see this thread.

Dan Santoso

I had my grip today. Honestly I am so disappointed for + $1000 toy, the build quality is almost embarrassing.

1. I have small hand, it is to big! I cant hold it as steady as holding the body.
2. The aperture/shutter is too small, it is like buried in the body, I find it clumsy to operate it.
3. Small gap appear between the body and the grip, you can see the light coming from the other side. Bad for dust.
4. The surface quality suck. The body has phase one quality and the grip from a third party china company. Amazing combo? Like beauty and the beast!!!!

Please get a Sony A900 grip and study the ergonomic and material next time you want to build a grip. If not for the wireless 1/1600 function I wont buy it!!!

I hope Hendrik read this :)

goesbang

I hope Hendrik read this :)[/QUOTE]

I passed your feedback, combined with my own notes directly to Phase One as I have always found them to be very responsive to user feedback(I have been a Phase user since the H5 back).
I got an email back the next day telling me that the wobbly L-bracket issue is now resolved and that your notes will be passed directly to the product development team.

Cheers,

Dan Santoso

how do you use the second plate with the grip in horizontal position?

I play around with it and scratch the grip easy, it has a round mark like from a wet glass in a glass. I cant believe a $1200 grip to be scratch so easy and I only have mine for a week :(

Thanks