The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The P45+ and DR. And noise. And...

Greg Seitz

Greg:

Doesn't your method only work assuming the original shot was the full frame image resized for the web and not cropped before posting?

Robert
Robert,

That's correct but usually people show the full scene followed by a crop. In the absence of Marc mentioning the first shot was already a crop I have to go by what was presented. I'll mention as well Guy has made the mistake of not posting 100% crops a couple of times when he has posted so it's an easy mistake to make.

Thanks,

Greg

fotografz

Marc,

Good info regarding the final usage, I was curious to know if the loss of detail from the noise offset the size difference. The D3 would deliver much nicer ISO 800 shots than the 1DsMII but point taken.

Regarding the crop, it's not a 100% crop of the scene you are showing. I upressed your whole scene to the H3D-31 dimensions of 4872 x 6496 and then took a 100% crop of that and get the following which is a much larger area than your crop shows.
I have a D3, it doesn't cut it compared to the H3D/31 ... I don't use the the D3 for anything other than low light wedding shots printed @ 8X10 ... or commercial stuff that will be printed small ... which is almost nothing these days since clients want to multi-purpose the images from internet use to 8' display prints.

Your enlargement of my cowbot shot is misleading ... blowing up a cropped j-peg web upload looks horrible ... I understand you are showing what the severe crop is suppose to be, but others may get the wrong impression ... so please allow me to show it:

Again, the specifics are: H3D/31 @ 1/180th shutter, ISO 800 pushed 1.5 to 2 stops in Phocus, HC 150/3.2 & 1.7X ... any slight lack of clarity at this magnification is due to shooting 255mm @ 1/180th shutter.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think it looks damn good given the ISO, shutter and everything else . i would have expected that hat to really blow it with noise and it did not. Well Marc you hit my thoughts when I was just ready to buy a D3 with cash in hand and i decided to go MF. This is exactly the reason BIG