The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase DT/P65+ or LeafII 12 back

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually very tempted to sell my 28mm and get a Alpa TC with 24mm. I have seen one used and i'm chomping on my lip right now. I need a way bigger helmet.
Guy, after you put on the new helmet (the one with the extra kevlar panels), consider this ....

You KNOW that P40+ of yours is going to grow up one day. When it does, it will stand at least 60.5 or maybe even 80 megapixels tall. At this sensor size, the 24 is next to useless unless you are cropping off the top and bottom third of the
frame all of the time. Even then, you will suffer from the striping artefact that is the product of light striking the sensor at such an obtuse angle.Not much chop I'm afraid.
You'll end up like me, with a 24mm Schneider Apo Digitar collecting dust in the cupboard. Hey, but you'll have a pretty little Alpa TC (but you'll be secretly lusting over its newborn sister, the STC).
Get one of the semi-retrofocus lenses from Rodenstock from the beginning.
You'll have less explaining to do to she-who-must-be-obeyed....

Cheers,[/QUOTE]

Your reading exactly what the other side of my brain is thinking. Not sure I will grow up to 80 mpx but still can't leave it out. End of day i am still a gear slut and capable of making any insane purchase. LOL

I have been questioning myself on this one and usually that ends the idea.

yaya

Unless I'm mistaken, the AptusII 12R (rotating sensor) is only available in the Blad V mount as its main market is square format users with waist-level finders.
I agree it would be damned useful to people like me who run the 645DF in parallel to their tech camera.
Hmmm....have to have a chat to the lads at Leaf....

Yaya..... come in Yaya.....
Sorry been enjoying some sunshine the last few days (a much needed break from the cold and the hectic recent travels...)

On the Aptus-II 12, using Sensorflex (at the moment only in Leaf Capture in tethered mode), you get a square ~41mm x 41mm frame, which covers the height of the 645 frame anyway

Mechanically there is no room in the interface to implement a rotating sensor and the light trap and attachment hooks/ clips on the 645 bodies (H, C and M) will get in the way of designing a practical solution.

For those using a tech camera and who need frequent vertical/ horizontal changes we make the 12R (V mount) and the 12 (AFi/ Hy6 mount) where the rotating sensor is a great feature.

Also on a tech camera the grid function is very helpful for some

Back to the beach

/y

goesbang

Your reading exactly what the other side of my brain is thinking. Not sure I will grow up to 80 mpx but still can't leave it out. End of day i am still a gear slut and capable of making any insane purchase. LOL

I have been questioning myself on this one and usually that ends the idea.[/QUOTE]

This is not that silly an idea. Consider that the 80MP Leaf is for all practical purposes the same price as a P65+. That's the new REDUCED price for the P65+.
I own a P65+ and have a P45+ and P40+ at my disposal. The extra real-estate of the 60Mp sensor really makes a huge difference to the viewing angle of your WA lenses.
When you factor in that the extra image area has a larger impact on viewing angle at short focal-lengths than at long ones, your Wides get much wider but your teles don't get much shorter.
Also, if the much rumoured 80Mp from Phase gets traction, then there is a possibility of a drop in price of the P65+, not to mention a bunch of s/h P65+ backs hitting the market as people trade up....

Ok, I confess. I messing with your mind now.:grin:

Cheers!