The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Polarizing Filter ?

Christopher

So I'm looking for a good solution. First let me tell you my idea. I'm looking for a nice polarizing solution for my Rm3D and perhaps for my Canon/Phase System.

It certainly does not make sense to buy one filter for each lens size. I think I would need to buy 8-11 Filters, which is a little expensive. My first though was to get the Arca Filter holder and use a square filter. This would let me use the Filter on all Arca lenses. However, my second idea was to get a round 86mm Filter which is the size of the biggest lens and then use a step down ring for most other lenses. Would that work or am I overlooking something ?

Second question is is there a difference in "effectiveness" between a Circular Polarizer and a Linear Polarizer? I know that perhaps the AF and metering on my Canon adn Phase wouldn't work, but the main target is still the Arca, so I don't care much about it.

Last there is the question about companies. I mean there are a lot out there, and if you read the great marketing you could think one is better than the next and back.

I have the feeling Schneider and Heliopan are more expensive than for example Tiffen or B+W, I haven't found aprice for the Rodenstocks so far.

Is there a "best" Filter out there or what a the best options ?

Thanks for the help.
Christopher

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I can't speak to the polarizing filters you mentioned but my weapon of choice for a wide variety of lenses has been the Lee 105mm Kasemann Circular polarizer. It fits onto a Lee filter mount and you can combine it with grads if necessary, plus obviously you need the Lee lens adapter rings. It's certainly a bit less convenient than a simple screw on filter but it is a very well made and neutral filter. You can get a linear version too if you're not using AF etc.

Lee also do square filters that can be combined via their combo rotating filter holder. This is universal so that you can choose either linear or circular filters depending upon whether you need any af/metering in camera or not.

With both the Lee system and also step up rings with a regular polarizer you obviously need to watch for vignetting on wide glass.

Jeffg53

I use the Lee setup too. The only downside that I have found is that it will vignette with the 28 on my H4D.

SergeiR

I had Heliopan filter covered in bubbles after 8 months, so i sworn to never buy another one. Not sure why you feel that they are more expensive than B+W - they are about same price range. I had B+W for a while now (after using Tiffens , Kenkos, Hoyas, Marumi and whatnot) - happy as a clam. It doesnt degrade sharpness like Kenko or Tiffen would , and it works just fine. Sure - its a bit on pricey side, but if you search and wait - you can snatch them for relatively cheap.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I had Heliopan filter covered in bubbles after 8 months, so i sworn to never buy another one. Not sure why you feel that they are more expensive than B+W - they are about same price range. I had B+W for a while now (after using Tiffens , Kenkos, Hoyas, Marumi and whatnot) - happy as a clam. It doesnt degrade sharpness like Kenko or Tiffen would , and it works just fine. Sure - its a bit on pricey side, but if you search and wait - you can snatch them for relatively cheap.
I am using HELIOPAN filters since many years and never had any trouble .
On the other side , Sergeij , if you had a bad product , did you contact HELIOPAN . I am sure , they would have helped you right away .

Christopher

HELIOPAN is a small company in Gräfelfing near Munich , near to where you live .
Give them a call and arrange a visit at their plant . They will be pleased to help you and demonstrate their products and look for a solution for your needs . Contact Frau Summer . She is a very experienced person .
Why look for filters abroad , while you have such good products right in front of your door .

fotografz

Most any of the multi-coated filters are very good these days no matter who makes them.

The issue with selecting the largest filter size and using step-down rings for multiple lens applications is that it eliminates the lens hoods designed for the different lenses.

Depending on what filter size your largest WA lens is, LEE makes adapter rings to fit most anything from 49mm to 105mm ... including WA adapters up to 82mm that reverse back on themselves to help avoid vignetting ...

http://www.leefilters.com/camera/products/finder/ref:C475678743F577/

The LEE normal and WA lens shades then solve the "universal" shade issue:

http://www.leefilters.com/camera/products/range/ref:I46C9C213A68B5/

As far as the polarizer is concerned, just get the 105mm circular type as it works for both manual focus and auto-focus cameras where the linear one doesn't work well with AF.

http://www.leefilters.com/camera/products/finder/ref:C47567491985D4/

Note to Jeffg53 ...

LEE will make custom adapters ... and since like you, I have the HCD28 (plus the HCD35-90) for a H4D/60 that both take 95mm filters, I wonder if we could get a WA 95mm version made ... and use the WA shade with it?

-Marc

Terry

Only goes to 77mm so not sure which of your lenses would be left out but, on my Sony I had big problems with vignetting on my 24-70. The only filter I could use was the Sony Zeiss thin version. This is the slimest CP I've ever seen.

Jeffg53

Marc, I already have a custom adapter which attaches to the hood bayonet, but not made by Lee. From memory, the polarizer is a big, thick beast as is the Lee mount for it. Let me try it out and I'll get back to you. I suspect that the 60 will be problematic for you. I have never used a hood on the front of the polariser but just blocked the sun by another means.

I just found that I can use the 28 with a universal hood on the 40 without vignetting which I used to get on the 39.

Jeffg53

I just tried the standard Lee 95mm adapter on the 28. Once more , the cropped frame saves the day. I can use my polariser with one slot filter slot setup on the 40 without vignetting. It wouldn't work on the 60 as I can see the vignette outside the 40 frame lines.

Jim DE

For what it's worth I am a real believer in Singh-Ray filters and they will custom make just about anything. I use a warming polarizer and their gold/blue polarizer for many of my scenics.

Might be worth checking them out as well.

fotografz

I just tried the standard Lee 95mm adapter on the 28. Once more , the cropped frame saves the day. I can use my polariser with one slot filter slot setup on the 40 without vignetting. It wouldn't work on the 60 as I can see the vignette outside the 40 frame lines.
I understand that. What I proposed was getting a LEE 95mm WA adapter ring custom made. The type that pulls the filter back closer to the lens' front element.

-Marc

BJNY

LEE will make custom adapters ... and since like you, I have the HCD28 (plus the HCD35-90) for a H4D/60 that both take 95mm filters, I wonder if we could get a WA 95mm version made ... and use the WA shade with it?

-Marc
I understand that. What I proposed was getting a LEE 95mm WA adapter ring custom made. The type that pulls the filter back closer to the lens' front element.

-Marc
I'd be interest IF you're proposing Lee can make a 95mm version of this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ers_FP105_Accessory_Front_Thread_Adapter.html

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The Lee 105mm ring fits on the front of a regular Lee filter assembly and the polarizer screws into this ring. What's being proposed is a wide angle 95mm ring that the filter assembly clips on to.

Btw, the 95mm in WA form might be pushing the limits of what's possible if you need rigidity of the filter assembly. I have the WA 82mm which I used to use with an 18mm Zeiss and there's not much meat left on the bone with even that one ...

fotografz

I'd be interest IF you're proposing Lee can make a 95mm version of this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ers_FP105_Accessory_Front_Thread_Adapter.html
Not exactly. LEE makes WA adapters up to 86mm which literally reverse back on themselves to pull the fliter as close to the front lens element as possible ... but they don't make a 95mm version. That still may not be enough if their polarizer is too thick. It probably would work with just a 4" sguare slip-in pola.

Probably easier to just try the Heliopan 95 slim mount pola and be done with it.

-Marc

Jeffg53

I sent an email off to Graham Merritt at Lee in the UK. I have dealt with him before to have custom made bits. His response is: "We cannot make a wide adaptor larger than 82mm due to size constraints. "

Life was a lot simpler when we only had B60 to worry about

Last edited:

nyesimmons

Late hit - sorry

I would never use anything but the Singh-Ray - you can get a large square polarizer that you then rotate the mount if you need it but the "P" series Cokin holder (very cheap) holds the Singh-Ray standard polarizer and with an adapter ring fits lenses up to 82mm filter size - I keep a Cokin holder on each lens (about 8 bucks US each) and cut them down to hold one filter each. A slide-in lens cap costs about ? 4 bucks. Then the lens is equipped ready to go with polarizer or whatever other filter I want to slide in - I keep another stock filter holder (3 slots) in my bag in case I need to slide in the compendium shade (60.00 US) (maybe Lee makes it for Cokin size - memory not clear on that) along with a filter.

Singh-Ray makes larger sized square polarizers to fit the larger Lee holders on custom order - then you simply turn the filter and holder on the adapter ring to proper orientation. My 8x10 friends swear by them.

The Singh-Ray seems more optically clear than anything else I have ever used - less light loss (1- 1 1/3 stop) and available in warming and neutral.

Its a great system and you can use one filter on all your lenses by just purchasing the appropriate adapter rings. The Cokin holders are dirt cheap, and easily modified with a Dremel tool or hack saw if you need to cut the filter down to avoid vignetting.

It really is a better mousetrap. Lee quality is renowned but the Cokin at a fraction of the cost gets the job done perfectly and Singh-Ray filters are the best on the market IMO.

SergeiR

I am using HELIOPAN filters since many years and never had any trouble .
On the other side , Sergeij , if you had a bad product , did you contact HELIOPAN . I am sure , they would have helped you right away .
I didnt, its just was a filter, i am sure its somewhere on shelf in my flat in Russia, but it has been like 4 years ago, and honestly - i didnt expect them to follow up on this outside of Germany. Never occured to me to talk to them and to send pictureof bubbly filter