The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya D lenses for DF 645

nikonf

I am just beginning to use a Phase One DF 645 camera and 80mm Schneider LS lens and I am now interested in a wide angle and a macro lens.
I know nothing about Mamiya optics since the old RB67 days.
I do remember their 140mm macro was excellent and a friend of mine actually preferred it to his Zeiss 120mm Macro-Planar (Perhaps it was the 6x7 format).
Specifically, I am interested in the 45mm f2.8 D and the 120mm f4 D Macro. Do any of you have experience with these two optics?
I would use these primarily for landscape and macro work.
Would you experts advise purchasing these or perhaps waiting for new versions from Schneider?

Many thanks,
Mike

mediumcool

I know nothing about Mamiya optics since the old RB67 days.
I do remember their 140mm macro was excellent and a friend of mine actually preferred it to his Zeiss 120mm Macro-Planar (Perhaps it was the 6x7 format).
Mike
I had one of these 140s for a while about 30 years ago, and it was magnificent; wonder how it would go with a digital back?

goesbang

I have used both on many occasions though I own neither.
The 120 macro is the best in the business, leaving the "legendary" zeiss Macro Planar 120 for dead. You can pick up a mint S/H manual focus easily and if you have the dough, it's just been released in AF and this lens rocks. I shot jewellery campaigns for one of Australias biggest jewellers for many years on a Blad/Zeiss 120 macro and frankly, I wish I had the Mamiya instead.
The 45 is an outstanding piece of glass. My feeling is that it's not really wide enough for most of my landscape work, especially is I am working with the smaller P40+ or P45+.
Even with my P65+ I use my 24, 28 and 35mm lenses for most of my landscape work. It really depends on your vision and style, not mine, but I suggest you at least check out the 35mm and 28mm lenses.
Best of luck.

Siebel

topgreat

I do not have money to buy 120mm D. However, I use an old manual 120mm Macro APO. Although its contrast level is very little lower than my other D lenses, the sharpness of 120mm APO is excellent. This lens is very cheap on Ebay and it is worth to try on your body.