The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Questions

Dale Allyn

I'm new to Capture One (I don't own it) and wonder if I can get by with C-1 v4.1 instead of springing for C-1 Pro for a while? As I understand it, C-1 Pro has not yet been released in v. 4 anyway, but I believe this to be coming soon.

I'm new to MFDB and will be processing P25+ files, but since I'm very comfortable working in the CS3 environment, I would expect that after RAW conversion I'll do most of the post in PS CS3. Of course I can use ACR for the conversions, but from what I've seen and read the results will be better with Capture One for this back.

1. For low-volume work (no events, etc.) will C-1 v. 4.1 been the right place to start (i.e. can I hold off on the Pro version for a while)?

2. How important is the calibration feature found only in the Pro version?

3. Since v. 4.1 is a free upgrade for current LE users, does it not make sense to purchase an LE license for $80 and get the upgrade, rather than buying version 4.1 for $129?

I'd like to avoid the expense of the Pro version of C-1 for a while if possible as I deal with the expense of the back, a couple of lenses and other bells and whistles needed for the ride down the slope. Any input from you C-1 users, especially pertaining to the Phase back, would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dale

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You only really need the color calibration feature if you shoot your back on cameras with shift, and even then the color shifts may be small enough you don't need it. The only other significant feature in Pro is the moire remover which is not included in 4.1 lite. So unless you HAVE to have either of those, the workflow in 4.1 is superior to the older version, at least IMO, and you might as well wait for 4 Pro before springing for it.

My .02 only,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
NP... Also, your back should have shipped with C1 DB, and I am pretty sure DB includes both the moire tool and the color corrector for Phase backs anyway...

Dale Allyn

Jack, there's a disk with the back, but it was activated by the original purchaser and I agreed that I'd just buy a new license to C-1. I expect he'll continue to use his license for other work. It seemed like it might be a hassle to try to transfer it. The version was "3.7.8 beta" on the CD, but he's likely updated it.

Guy, yes, my sweaty hands are happy now. ;) The back arrived exactly as described: pristine metal case, value-added goodies, and back that still had all the vinyl protection patches on it. Just 10 factory or dealer actuations.

Top Ramen for dinner here tonight!

LOL

P.S. And by the way, thank you for your guidance prior to my plunge, Guy.

Last edited:
N

Natasa Stojsic

I'm new to Capture One (I don't own it) and wonder if I can get by with C-1 v4.1 instead of springing for C-1 Pro for a while? As I understand it, C-1 Pro has not yet been released in v. 4 anyway, but I believe this to be coming soon.

I'm new to MFDB and will be processing P25+ files, but since I'm very comfortable working in the CS3 environment, I would expect that after RAW conversion I'll do most of the post in PS CS3. Of course I can use ACR for the conversions, but from what I've seen and read the results will be better with Capture One for this back.

1. For low-volume work (no events, etc.) will C-1 v. 4.1 been the right place to start (i.e. can I hold off on the Pro version for a while)?

2. How important is the calibration feature found only in the Pro version?

3. Since v. 4.1 is a free upgrade for current LE users, does it not make sense to purchase an LE license for $80 and get the upgrade, rather than buying version 4.1 for $129?

I'd like to avoid the expense of the Pro version of C-1 for a while if possible as I deal with the expense of the back, a couple of lenses and other bells and whistles needed for the ride down the slope. Any input from you C-1 users, especially pertaining to the Phase back, would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dale

Dale, PM me if you want and I will give a code so you can register your copy because I have number of C1/CDs/Versions that I don't think I'll ever use all of them!

I assume after you download from Phase site and register, you can easily upgrade!:thumbup:

Not sure if that is what you need/want?

Dale Allyn

Natasa,

Thank you very much. That would be very kind of you, so long as it would not violate the EULA. If you have unused activation codes though I think that this would be acceptable to Phase.

That's very kind of you, indeed.

Dale

N

Natasa Stojsic

Natasa,

Thank you very much. That would be very kind of you, so long as it would not violate the EULA. If you have unused activation codes though I think that this would be acceptable to Phase.

That's very kind of you, indeed.

Dale

I am not sure if it violates the EULA, but you could check.... and if it is OK, my offer still stands:thumbup:

lance_schad

Workshop Member
As a PhaseOne Digital Back Owner (welcome) you are able to use Capture One DB 3.7x with now problem at all. It has all the features on Pro but will only process PhaseOne files.
4.1.1 will work great for you , but yes as of right now it lacks the moire removal utility, stitching and color editor. You can run both programs in tandem when you need those features.
If you need a DB key PM me and I will get you one to use.
L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]