The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 67 45mm on my 645 DF

Jérôme.E

Hi everyone,
This my first message here. I'm very pleased to join this community.
Reading you for a moment i know this is the one i wanted to be :thumbs:

I wanted to know if there are some guys whom are ever tried this "mix".
The pentax 45mm 67 is well known to be a stellar lens (as far as i know)... but what about with my Aptus II 10 ( I don't know this back for too long cause i just received it a week ago :angel: ).
I red some Jack's infos of the Mamiya 45af... so if I can avoid playing lottery, it would be nice.
I 've seen some adapters on ebay, do they work correctly?? Do I keep exposure or need my cell??

A technical question: i didn't find any info about the pentax angle of view... would it still be a 45mm on the Aptus. I can't figure out about that. Sure there're many guys far better than me for those technicals stuff.

Thank you for answering

Jérome

PS: Sorry if I've "grazed" the Shakespeare language but even if i lived in CA for a year... it was 12 years ago :cry: so i'll try to do my best. :D

mediumcool

The pentax 45mm 67 is well known to be a stellar lens (as far as i know)... but what about with my Aptus II 10 ( I don't know this back for too long cause i just received it a week ago :angel: ).
I red some Jack's infos of the Mamiya 45af... so if I can avoid playing lottery, it would be nice.
Are you saying that the Pentax lens would be less expensive than the Mamiya 45, even with an adapter?

I 've seen some adapters on ebay, do they work correctly?? Do I keep exposure or need my cell??
Not sure of your meaning here but you will lose all automation—no auto-aperture and no autofocus, and metering may be problematic too—I have manual lenses too but have yet to fire up my AFD because I am waiting for a back. You may also need a microprism focusing screen to assist in focusing the Pentax lens.

A technical question: i didn't find any info about the pentax angle of view... would it still be a 45mm on the Aptus.
A 45 is a 45 is a 45 (channelling Gertrude Stein)! It will have exactly (or very nearly) the coverage of a Mamiya 45mm lens (focal lengths can vary by a few millimeters).

Since the Pentax lens was designed to cover the 6 x 7 format, you will be using the centre of the image circle, but also remember that larger format lenses tend to have lower resolution, as a rule.

Hope this helps ... :)

Last edited:

Jérôme.E

Are you saying that the Pentax lens would be less expensive than the Mamiya 45, even with an adapter?
Not less expensive, but i wanted to know if it would be really better and a "good one" with 56mp back.

not sure of your meaning here but you will lose all automation—no auto-aperture and no autofocus, and metering may be problematic too—I have manual lenses too but have yet to fire up my AFD because I am waiting for a back. You may also need a microprism focusing screen to assist in focusing the Pentax lens.
Thank you for the explanations. I knew about automation and autofocus but i was not sure about metering... what do you mean by "problematic": won't work or will work but not efficiently.
I'm not sure we can change microprism focusing with the DF (have to check that) but it'd stay most of the time on my tripod and i'd check the focus with a x3 zeiss monocular anyway.

45 is a 45 is a 45 (channelling Gertrude Stein)! It will have exactly (or very nearly) the coverage of a Mamiya 45mm lens (focal lengths can vary by a few millimeters).
I had a doubt now it's clear :salute:

the Pentax lens was designed to cover the 6 x 7 format, you will be using the centre of the image circle, but also remember that larger format lenses tend to have lower resolution, as a rule.

Hope this helps ... :)
Yes this helps... thank's a lot :D

mediumcool

Hi again

As I said, I’m waiting for my new (second-hand) Aptus to arrive before I can use my 645D. I’ve collected a range of older Mamiya lenses (some I had from years ago) that are all manual focus and mechanical stop-down, including a 45mm. So I can’t test metering yet. I do know that it’s a pain in the arse doing stop-down metering on my Pentax DSLR with an older Pentax-M lens ...

If you search this forum for *mamiya 45* you will find plenty of discussion about this lens (sorry, missed your reference to Jack). It seems to vary a lot in quality but the later ones are generally better. Can you try out the Pentax lens before buying? You would have to spring for the adapter of course.

Be nice if there were comparable lens tests available online.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Jérôme.E

Thanks for the links...

Unfortunately i can't test it before purchase.
I'll send some pictures test if i choose this lens... not sure yet.

Thanks a lot

mediumcool

Thanks for the links...

Unfortunately i can't test it before purchase.
I'll send some pictures test if i choose this lens... not sure yet.

Thanks a lot
It would be nice if you put up some samples when you can. Resolution should be even but colour fringing may be another story... Is it a Dalsa or Kodak sensor?

mediumcool

Just got my Aptus 22 working (no CF cards so I have to tether it to my old MBP) and tried out a very ancient 45mm Mamiya lens I have had hanging around and am surprised at the decent quality on the 36 x 48 sensor. Pity it only focuses to a couple of meters.

I’ll put up some shots tomorrow.

mediumcool

Here is one of the first shots with the Mamiya 45mm C lens.

All are screenshots from Capture One (all originals hand-held at 1/125 wide open or one stop down).

100% view of centre of image

Spider web top left also 100%

What would it have been like on a tripod (I’m not very steady these days)? My 80mm f4 macro is also delivering some excellent results.

mediumcool

An 80mm Macro shot

My long-suffering model Taxi. As before, full-frame first this time at 1/90 hand-held. f4 or f5.6 at 200 iso. All manual focus of course.

At 100% view (you can see the photographer in her left eye).

Jérôme.E

Your 45mm seems very good...
I like the 35mm but the "bokeh" is a bit srange as you said. I bought one (n version) but i won't use it that much under f/8 anyway (architecture pictures).
I just get the 50mm shift and i red you don't use it under f/8... bad results under??
Thanks for the pictures, I'll send some soon.

bensonga

The shots using the Mamiya 45mm lens of the green foliage look good, but portions of the image of your dog look sort of painterly, not sure how to describe it. Especially the brown colors on the top of his muzzle etc. Maybe that's just how the OOF areas are being rendered in this case....especially in a web-size image.

I have the Pentax 67 SMCP 45mm lens (last version) and at least on my Pentax 67 using film....it's a very good lens. Here's a sample. I would be very interested to see how this lens performs on a high res digital back or the new Pentax 645D.....so if you get that lens, I hope you'll post some images from you Aptus back here.

Gary

P67 with 45mm lens, Epson V750 scan

mediumcool

The shots using the Mamiya 45mm lens of the green foliage look good, but portions of the image of your dog look sort of painterly, not sure how to describe it. Especially the brown colors on the top of his muzzle etc. Maybe that's just how the OOF areas are being rendered in this case....especially in a web-size image.
Her muzzle, please! (takes offence :)). Well-seen, Gary. It’s C1’s noise handling; it seems to dislike darker areas with poor detail (OOF anyone?), so it smears them and reduces the saturation. This is obviously dependent on the noise settings which for that pic were:

I revisited that session, and zeroed out noise reduction, except I put in 20 units of surface noise reduction, and I also zapped up the sharpening. Still learning C1 and the non-destructive edits help enormously.

The pix are again screenshots from C1 for convenience (in lossless PNG format), because I assume rendered output is going to look the same, otherwise why generate on-screen previews?

I have the Pentax 67 SMCP 45mm lens (last version) and at least on my Pentax 67 using film....it's a very good lens. Here's a sample. I would be very interested to see how this lens performs on a high res digital back or the new Pentax 645D.....so if you get that lens, I hope you'll post some images from you Aptus back here.
Looks pretty damn good (how did you get the DOF?). And also a great scan off a *consumer* scanner! It will be interesting to see which Pentax lenses, including the 6x7 models, cope with the rigid demands of digital imaging.

It will be interesting to see what Jérôme comes up with ...

Here’s a recentpost by me trying two of my Pentax lenses on M4/3. I am amazed at what these teeny sensors can do.

Jérôme.E

Gary

P67 with 45mm lens, Epson V750 scan

Your 67 pentax is very great with film and your V750 scan is pretty well executed... can't imagine with x5/x1 blad's!! That's why i wanted some infos with DB... but it'd be quite weird not gettin' good result with DB :loco:
I don't know yet if i buy it... got already 35mm and 50mm shift not sure it is so essential right now.

Thanks for samples

Jérôme.E

The pix are again screenshots from C1 for convenience (in lossless PNG format), because I assume rendered output is going to look the same, otherwise why generate on-screen previews?
I've you tried a Jepg 96dpi executed from a Tif with 2 or 3 steps "downsized" and a bit of accentuation each step??
On screen preview is not the best way to show best result, specially with MF I think... Taxi would appreciate ;)