The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PhotoRescue Saved My MF Butt

David Schneider

I am still learning Phocus and made the mistake of accidentally deleting all the images from studio session of the local high school's girls freshman basketball team, jv team, varsity team and senior headshots for a poster right off the cf card with no back-up. I thought I was just deleting a few test images taken before we got started shooting the session, right before I began to export in Phocus.

I've been using PhotoRescue from www.datarescue.com for probably 10 years, since it first came out. I had no idea if it would recover Hasselblad 3fr files. First time through it looked like it was working just fine, but timed out after I could see it had recovered almost all the images. So ran the software again and came back another 3 hours later (I'm on a slow pc - my assistant/studio manger/retoucher has the better machine) and there were all my images in 3fr format. Sweet. No way I could have gotten everyone back for a re-shoot. Getting the girls in the studio as freshmen, sophs, and juniors is one of my best forms of senior marketing and this could have been a disaster instead of a success.

I'm sure there are other software programs out there that recover MF image files, but so happy PhotoRescue save my MF butt. Save me a number of times with dslr files over the years. It's always the first program that gets installed when I get a new computer.
View attachment 38505

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I can recommend SanDisk RescuePro Deluxe also. Worth every penny in my experience too. :thumbs:

I was on Safari in Africa back in September and had Capture One crash during an import and deleted the DCIM directory on the CF card :wtf:. RescuePro recovered over 750 images from the days shoot. I'm still disappointed btw that a READ operation could corrupt the card directory - not cool. Luckily it only ever happened once and that was v.5 Pro.

The deluxe version supports 3FR, IIQ, mos files plus all the normal suspects too.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I have Scandisk Rescue on my laptop and so far the only time I needed it was to help some poor couple on their vacation after the wife accidently deleted all their images on their camera. We were sitting several tables away from them and heard the angst cry; I went to see what was wrong as did several others. Got them up and running in no time. I now keep several copies of the small disk with me to hand out "just in case".

fotografz

As a wedding shooter I can relate to the heart stopping impact when you realize what just happened. :eek:

My worst nightmare, second only to forgetting an assignment date or getting lost on the way to a wedding.

Do you remember what you did to delete all images rather than just a few ... so I can avoid a trip to the Cardiac Ward?

Although, I did learn that lesson years ago with a Nikon that ate an entire wedding card worth of images (I eventually found them in the computer's trash
with the CF card inserted in the reader).

I NEVER delete images at a shoot after that experience.

-Marc

David Schneider

Marc,

I think I had a short session with an early 70'ish woman and her 13 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel who was deaf and blind in one eye (and didn't respond to my normal dog attention getters obviously) on my 32gig card. I images on one computer, but didn't have a back-up so I didn't format the card. I think when I was in Phocus and exported I had just the girls basketball images selected and they were exporting. I think then I wanted to get rid of a few images and the selection stayed on the basketball session. I think. It taught me not to have the Giants football game playing on my studio 72" tv in the other room. Normally I never delete anything off the card.

I have used PhotoRescue to recover some photographer friends wedding images a couple of times. For some reason, they couldn't recover all the images using software made for Mac. Only thing that you don't get back is the file number, but that's sure not much of a problem.