The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Once again I've fallen at the last hurdle - no MF for me!

da_eltsch

:D... greatest thanks from Germany, too!!! :grin:

I have to admit that I only own one German camera right now and this is more of "emotional" reasons, since my hometown is Braunschweig and the DHW-Fototechnik (Rollei) struggles to stay in the camera business...

I have just followed this whole thread over the last days and on a lot of points I just found myself knodding in front of the computer screen. I understand very well the temptations that "new" or let me say "special" gear can cause to my mind. On the other hand - especially in the later posts - the style remarks sound very reasonable to me. I see two "styles" to be considered: a) the style of the output and b) the way of working with / using some special gear.

This is what I've recently experienced when chosing pictures to print large. Most of them have not been taken with my "highest value" gear but rather with special gear (film and digital) which I am very comfortable to use. This applies to other fields in my live, too.

But I feel the "change gear and grow" approach has some truth in itself. Moving to different film sizes, panoramic cameras and so on has shown me that each of them has its strenghts and challenges (cons). But one can try to overcome the cons and build on the strengths. As I found out for myself this enforced me to "re-think" the way I set up pictures concerning the framing of the scene as well as the ways of post-processing and so on. Even though there where some death ends (camera-wise) for me, I hope I took quite some experience with me to use in my regular photo-taking.

Regards,
Helge

fotografz

Reminds me of what my accountant said to me last year at tax time when looking at my deduction listing ... "President Obama should send you a personal thank you note for conspicuous bravery in helping the stalled economy.":ROTFL:

There is a vector point though ... when getting all the photo gear you want intersects the poverty line :eek:

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
:thumbs: to that! The various "enablers" and "super-enablers" here are doing a stellar job getting the rest of us to help kick start the economy further, even if it is in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Israel or Japan (and obviously our excellent local dealers too) ;)
Hey be careful on those enabler comments. Some of us resemble that. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Quentin_Bargate

Blast! I would have loved to have played with a shiny new S2 alongside my H4D-50. How could you be so selfish and deprive me of the pleasure at your expense ? :ROTFL:

But seriously, I can understand your thinking.

All the best to you and yours from us all at Green Farm!

Cheers
Quentin

jonoslack

Blast! I would have loved to have played with a shiny new S2 alongside my H4D-50. How could you be so selfish and deprive me of the pleasure at your expense ? :ROTFL:

But seriously, I can understand your thinking.

All the best to you and yours from us all at Green Farm!

Cheers
Quentin
Hah! I'm very sorry Quentin - you aren't the first person to say that!
All the Very Best to you and Yours Too.

I hope you had a great Christmas
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I posted this picture in the phone camera forum, but I took it the same day I started reading this thread, and it steered me away from MF and towards the M9. I want a camera that I can always have at hand. I guess because I can't plan ahead.;)

The light lasted for 30 seconds. It had been a dark overcast afternoon.

Best,

Matt

lookbook

... I have always suspected it ...
if you think too much, you never get a really good camera!
: )