The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why did you choose your back?

T

thsinar

Dear Peter,

I am quite surprised to read your anger and the way you speak about Sun Studios (formerly Baltronics) in Sydney and Melbourne.

Whatever you have experienced or the reasons are for you to bash and destroy their reputation this way, I can only contradict your claims: Sun Studios are recognized as being the most trustful, knowledgeable and helpful distributor in AU. I can't obviously speak for Leaf, but you are mentioning Sinar and am speaking on behalf of this company: it is one of our very first distributor in the world, a loyal and trustful partner since more than 20 years, with a very sound record of praises and "thumbs up" from all our customers. And I shall add that most of the employes in this company are the same since the very beginning, from its general manager to the sales responsibles and support people.

What you see as BS and lies is your own opinion. I can assure that nobody exactly knew when the Hy6 would be ready to be delivered.

Peter, accusing people from a company of being "charlatans" is a very serious matter. I can't leave it in the air without strongly reacting. I shall forward your words and your post to them.

It is a blessing to have the internet with its www, but it's sad that it can so easily be used to post claims to destroy a reputation of more than 20 years and throw smears in the public like this.

Peter: I believe that if you are serious and responsible you should give up your anonymity and come up with your name and details and put a "signature" under your words. You can also contact me via PM: I would be glad to know more details about your claims.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

PS - edited for addendum: I shall add that my reaction and disbelief is based on my personal 15 years relationship (and sometimes friendship) with the people of this company, for knowing them quite well to be able to make the judgement that they are not charlatans and liars, like claimed and thrown in the public. Would they be, they would certainly not have survived in the business for so long.

The dealer and support system is everything.

I was an early buyer into MFD straight into a Leaf75 3 years ago. I didn't like what Hasselblad was doing with H cameras and I liked the idea of the AFi. However the dealer I bought my Leaf from failed to inform me of the Leaf75s coming out a month after I bought my back and misled me about how long it would take to get the Hy6 platform to the market= more lies and BS and cover ups. The same dealer also sells Sinar here in Australia - and they went out of their way to make me not consider Sinar.

I think that Leaf produces great files - but the software is clunky and I think Sinar's software is even clunkier. Phase One in Australia - well the dealer is 1000miles away so never got a chance to play here.

I got to try out an early Hy6 body and a few lenses - and was not impressed with the ergonomics for me - and I made a commitment to NEVER dealing with this dealer group in Australia again anyway and telling anyone who asks what a load of BS I went through - because I hold grudges and never forget or forgive.

Meanwhile Hasselblad kept on quietly servicing my queries always had stock on hand and was quick to answer questions. So I got to play with Phocus late last year - that was the clincher for me.

I sold my Leaf - more to get away from these charlatans and moved to a H3D-31 which I tested against a second hand Phase back and Contax - and then quickly moved to a H3d11-39 when the price dropped by $10K.

If I didnt have an extensive collection of HC lenses, and some rare v series lenses - I think I would have tossed a coin between Phase One and Hasselblad. I will probably buy a P45+ after Photokina and some Mamiya gear.

I would have bought a Sinar back because you can change the adaptor plates - as I have said many times - this is a killer feature as far as I am concerned - but I am very old fashioned - I despise crooked dealers, lies mistruths and rip-offs.

There ya go - my decision was more about what dealers support didnt do for me than any particular for or against system prejudice.

Oh on a final note - I am extremely happy with my blad total workflow and system - but actually dont wish to be a fan boy marketer for any of thee manufacturers - so in the main when guys boast about teh wonderful quality of their Zeiss glass I just laugh to myself and let people enjoy their silliness.

The best support network you can have is an online community like this - everyone here can ask questions and get real feedback - without the usual dealer bullying and BS.

Pete

Last edited:

Graham Mitchell

Yes, the difference is not huge. About a 1.1 factor between the two sensor sizes, so a lens which is equivalent to a 28mm one the larger sensor will be equivalent to a 31mm on the smaller sensor.

atanabe

Ray,
My MFDB choice was between the Phase One P20 (at the time) or the CFV. My MF system was between the Contax 645 which I love the ergonomics and optics and a Hasselblad V system. When it came down to choosing the system, i eliminated the Contax because it has been discontinued and parts maybe hard to find in the future. I have used Hasselblads since the 70s and found them to be very reliable and easily serviced. Also the price point for the lenses and bodies were very low so getting the most bang for the buck was there.

As far as backs go, the Phase has the easy to use interface and can be mount switched. But with the "Dumb" Hasselblad bodies, you have to use a cable to sync the back for exposures. This is one very weak point in using a Phase with the V system and I eliminated it based on that point. Image quality, hard to really go one way or the other, high ISO is not a concern of mine. You have a wider choice based on the Contax electronic contacts so a Phase, Aptus, Sinar are all fair game. The Hasselblad CFV solution is pretty straight forward, using existing mechanical trigger and electronic capture delay based on the body. It is not the biggest or highest resolution sensor out there but it produces much better quality images than any 35 DSLR that I have seen.

MF for me is a tripod or at least monopod shooting so long shutter speeds are not an issue. I do not see my MF used as a candid travel usage so that is why I went with a very old setup to achieve high quality images. Just as in carpentry, you don't use a sledge hammer to pound in finishing nails. The likewise should also be true in camera choices. The Leica M is a perfect travel kit, light weight and great image quality. A 35 DSLR is great for sports and action wildlife, but a bear to lug around. Believe me, I LOVE SLRs they are just too heavy to carry all day long. For me the MFDB is for studio still life or times when you can really set things up just right. Others have shown great candid/wedding shots with the MFDBs, Mark has some great examples.

But when you come right down to it you have to ask yourself "Is it the right solution for me?" Is this what you really want to spend a whole bucket of money on? MFDBs are not fast action - mega frame buffer capture devices, at 1.7 frames per second does not make it a speed demon for sports or capturing the cheetah chasing down the antelope on the plains. This is subject to change with advances in technology, as are the price points, everyday the price seems to get lower and lower. So you also have to ask yourself is this technology that I can live with for the next xxxx years? These are questions that only you can answer for yourself.

If you are shooting landscapes, a 4x5 Toyo field or Deardorf field camera will set you back a lot less and get you even better results than MF. Again the right tool for the job. Tough decision to make.

Regards,
Al

Rethmeier

I would like to trow in my two cents worth,of my purchase close to $50K
I ended up with a Hy6/75LV,the latest version with the larger screen and the rotating adapter.
It would have been 2 years ago,when I became interested in MFDB to complement
my 1Ds2.
I came across some inside info about the Hy6 and liked the idea.
To choose the platform,we did a test between Phase,Leaf and Sinar.
At the time,the Sinar file was the nicest + suddenly there was a special and I purchased the e-75 for a great price.
Since then I have had the upgrade to the LV and now the latest version with the 2.5 inch screen.

My dealer in Sydney was Baltronics,now Sun Studios and their service is second to none.
Unlike Peter A I can only speak highly of them.
I must admit that I've been dealing with them since 1983.
I still think that Phase(Mamiya) and Hasselblad are also excellent systems.
Yes,no 28mm for the Hy6,that's the only negative.
The Alpa with a Schneider will have to do instead.
Cheers,
Willem.

Last edited:

PeterA

Thierry - you are welcome to your opinion based on your experiences - I have to live with my experiences. As for defamatory remarks - you have named a company - I haven't.

btw - my experiences were regarding the background to a purchase of a Leaf back. The only reference I have made to Sinar was that I was discouraged in my initial considerations to even look at Sinar.

All this happened when I was new to MFD and was very naive regarding many things in MFD land. The facts of the matter are was that I was misled by a salesperson - to my great cost. In my experience dealing with reputable companies - the company takes responsibility for poor behaviour of their staff - this company has made no attempt to remedy my legitimate concerns.

For your information I have spent well over $50,000 AUD through this company - in order to learn the hard way just how ordinary and unprofessional companies and their salespeople can be.

For your information I have met a number of very nice people and very helpful people from that company including the MD who visited my offices. So what? being 'nice' doesn't remedy misleading and deceptive behavior on the part of previous employees. Making 'good' remedies these things.

Sure a person from the company has patiently listened to me and even helped with some issues that they coudl help with involving some time..but this person wasn't who I was dealing with - and this person couldnt make good my personal cost...

I am by nature a very patient relaxed person Thierry - but the same company sold me a very expensive printer 2 weeks after they sold me this printer - a newer version which solved for some problems I continue to experience hit the market. Again I was sold - yesterdays technology for today's prices..without being informed of the total picture.

How many times does a person have to experience these things before they lose patience.??

I will tell you something else Thierry- the Leaf rep in Honk Kong was entertained by me at one of my private properties after enjoying a day, I would have imagined that if I had an issue or a question I would have got some service or recognition - sadly I got the reverse.

Anyway - the point I was making was very clearly spelled out - make sure of the relationship you have with your dealer and rep - that is the MOST important thing in the MFD game.

If you think this is a distressful story - imagine how I felt..still these are only things, not of great consequence in life. Fortunately I can afford to make error in judgements. I suspect that many in this forum are less able to afford such costs.

You are welcome to visit me any time you are in Australia.

T

thsinar

Dear Peter,

I have named a company because it is easy to check out who is the Sinar/Leaf distributor: there is only one, and I know that every single photographer in the whole AU knows this company. So no need to hide the name.

I do react, though you are speaking mainly about another brand, simply because it is the very same distributor representing Sinar, and therefore harmed both ways.

What I would really appreciate, is to be able to put a name behind such accusations. I am still believing that if one does post or publish something like you did, then one has the courage to put a name below these words.

I do not know you, I cannot comment and reply to your claims and this distributor has no chance whatsoever to defend himself. In my 1 1/2 + years as a member of some of the leading forums in the world, I have come to one very important conclusion: there is ALWAYS 2 sides in a story, always. Whenever there is a complain, anonymous or signed, I do take it seriously and do a follow-up check. Most of the time I could get the details of these claims and get a clear picture of the whole, by listening both sides and by having a direct contact with the "claimer": it ALWAYS came out that what was said and published was only part of the whole story. Most of the time the "claimer" would tell me a "detail" which he did "forget" to mention in his post, and which would have given a totally different picture of the issue.

I do write here because if such behaviour from one of our distributor is reality and if it comes out to be somehow the truth, then we (understand Sinar) do react and ask for explanations and a change of this behaviour.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Thierry - you are welcome to your opinion based on your experiences - I have to live with my experiences. As for defamatory remarks - you have named a company - I haven't.

btw - my experiences were regarding the background to a purchase of a Leaf back. The only reference I have made to Sinar was that I was discouraged in my initial considerations to even look at Sinar.

All this happened when I was new to MFD and was very naive regarding many things in MFD land. The facts of the matter are was that I was misled by a salesperson - to my great cost. In my experience dealing with reputable companies - the company takes responsibility for poor behaviour of their staff - this company has made no attempt to remedy my legitimate concerns.

For your information I have spent well over $50,000 AUD through this company - in order to learn the hard way just how ordinary and unprofessional companies and their salespeople can be.

For your information I have met a number of very nice people and very helpful people from that company including the MD who visited my offices. So what? being 'nice' doesn't remedy misleading and deceptive behavior on the part of previous employees. Making 'good' remedies these things.

Sure a person from the company has patiently listened to me and even helped with some issues that they coudl help with involving some time..but this person wasn't who I was dealing with - and this person couldnt make good my personal cost...

I am by nature a very patient relaxed person Thierry - but the same company sold me a very expensive printer 2 weeks after they sold me this printer - a newer version which solved for some problems I continue to experience hit the market. Again I was sold - yesterdays technology for today's prices..without being informed of the total picture.

How many times does a person have to experience these things before they lose patience.??

I will tell you something else Thierry- the Leaf rep in Honk Kong was entertained by me at one of my private properties after enjoying a day, I would have imagined that if I had an issue or a question I would have got some service or recognition - sadly I got the reverse.

Anyway - the point I was making was very clearly spelled out - make sure of the relationship you have with your dealer and rep - that is the MOST important thing in the MFD game.

If you think this is a distressful story - imagine how I felt..still these are only things, not of great consequence in life. Fortunately I can afford to make error in judgements. I suspect that many in this forum are less able to afford such costs.

You are welcome to visit me any time you are in Australia.

Mitchell

Bradley,

Thanks for your response. Enjoy your new camera!

Your pictures really make your point about the importance of bokeh, and push me more towards the Hy6. Nice.

Look forward to hearing more when you get your new camera.

Best,

Mitchell

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Peter,

FWIW speaking as a dealer myself, I take pride in providing honest guidance and suggestions to my customers. Sometimes dealers are stuck in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Manufacturers are getting more and more secretive and the Internet is getting more pervasive in rumor mongering. Here's an example:

I've already told a lot of potential Canon 5D buyers not to buy for months now as I believed the replacement was imminent and to that end, I also stopped ordering and stocking this item. I get no "inside" info as to what Canon has planned, just a gut feeling and the countless rumors. Unfortunately for me, Canon has not announced or delivered the 5D mk2 (or whatever) as expected/rumored (April 22 is long gone). If I had sold these cameras and the next week the new camera came out, would I be dishonest or a cheat? Am I a fool for not selling what customers ask for?

If I tell someone that I'm not sure when a new product will be available it is the truth, not a sales pitch to buy something else. Your experience may just be a case of bad timing. I know of many disreputable camera shops and of many well-regarded ones as well. I've never been down under so I can't speak to your local dealer, but Thiery does seem to hold them in high regard. If you'd like an idea of who real charlatans are, check out the BBB online report on Broadway Photo (to name just one). Something tells me your shop in Sydney is not in the same league as these guys.

Just my 2 cents.

David

David K

Workshop Member
I've dealt with David for many years now, and a lot of other folks here have done the same. When it comes to dealer support David and Steve Hendrix come to my mind as exemplary. I especially like it when David takes back a lens, say a Leica 28 Cron, from a buyer who's had it a week and decided he'd rather have something else, and then sells it to me at a big discount :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My story: Let's go back a bit here when i was shooting film it was Hassy's and i always loved MF camera's but when i left a real job many moons ago i was stuck in a spot when MF backs were more like buying a new Porche. So i could not continue shooting MF and go to digital. I was reentering the public market again coming from 16 years of chief photographer of a big company and was laid off after 9/11 so money was at a premium. So i went DSLR Kodak 760 to be exact and than moved to canon and was really not happy with there glass. At that time I bought Zeiss and Leica glass to bolt on to the Canons. But I always struggled to get better images and noting would do it than I bought the DMR and M8 systems and they really proved to be the 35mm answer. But there slow, expensive and the M8 is hard to be the only boat at the dock. So i bought Nikon D300 and was really prepared to buy a D3 and even had 5k in my pocket when I went to Carmel. But something came over me and it was the same damn I had for 7 years with a DSLR and i said to myself i really am buying nothing more here with this purchase with image quality and hell folks if any of you have followed my purchases there has been a load of stuff and worse yet i was always the first one to get the new toy and worked my butt off to get stuff to work as they should.

Well this time i bought something that at least has been out awhile , I bought the Mamiya ZD and I knew what exactly would happen next move up more. But I wanted to get in the door. Also the last thing I need was another brick in my hands that i need to make better and when i was in San Juan playing with the Phase back, knowing of the support that i would get and the fact it took me 1 minute to figure out the back and shoot and get real results without dicking around. I want something that just works and works well. Honestly after seeing david struggle with the Sinar ther was no way in hell i would go down that path. Sorry Sinar folks but be it new to the system or not the thing had issues. Not saying they all do but and maybe a rare case but turned me off immediately. Sorry i was not buying another camera that I had to fix or struggle with. Sorry Sinar folks that was my impression as well as everyone on the workshop( Please don't take that in a bad way there was some issues with his camera and back and just brought up memories ). The other reason was lance and CI commitment to making me happy. The sturdy build great files and ease of use with the soft keys made me really like the Phase backs and also i used C1 for years and they just make great software for there camera's and one of the oldest in the business doing it. I chose the P25 for the 9 micron Kodak sensor also. i happen to think that is a sweet spot for a 22 mpx back. That has been my impression right or wrong. But i am very happy with my decision and better yet feel no need to upgrade anytime shortly. i actually think I found some peace within myself on gear and for s junkie like me that been pushing the image quality issue for so long that is saying a lot. Also I am tired of being the guinea pig with my money, I wanted something that has been tested and works. Bottom line I just want to shoot

Pardon my spelling been working on a book for the last 48 hours and haf had about 7 hours sleep total in those 2 days. Finally over the hump on it and return to a normal life soon without 8 cups of Espresso a day

PeterA

Reithmeir - I am glad that you have had a good working relationship with Sun Studios in Sydney. I hear great things about them.

Thierry

Please stop naming companies and suggesting that that is what I have done.

I have made it PERFECTLY CLEAR that I hold NO COMPANY responsible for what happened to me - except to say that ANY COMPANY should make good to a client the promises , undertakings understandings entered into by a client as represented to him or her by an employee.

IF you have a problem with this as a way of doing business - just tell the forum. DO NOT suggest that my experience is is not possible - how rude!

IF you had any interest regarding my experience and felt that this MAY have been of interest to SINAR - then all you had to do was mail me privately.

Again I repeat to all would be MFD buyers - consider carefully the type of person whom you intend to deal with BEFORE you decide on what gear.

Guy - I have consciously entered into buying stuff to test for myself KNOWING that I woud change my mind and move on later - thats a fact of life for gearheads! LOL This is especialy true after going through the experiences related above - now I know I only have one person to blame - ME!

Different thing to be told one, two, three things and sold on this basis only to find out later it was all BS or wrong...sure maybe it was all my fault! LOL

Cheers
Pete

N

Natasa Stojsic

Yes,no 28mm for the Hy6,that's the only negative.
The Alpa with a Schneider will have to do instead.
Cheers,
Willem.
Willem, I had a chance to work with Alpa and both Schneider 24 & Rodenstock 28mm lenses. Both lenses are amazing, you can't make mistake.... except when guestimating focus:p, but since it's digital.. make sure you shoot tethered, because I had a problem evaluating sharpness using DB screens alone of H3D, Leaf Aptus75s including P45+! I thought I had it 100% in focus, later to my surprise I found most of them soft.....

BTW: I decided after using Canon 1Ds MkII & Leica M8 it was time to make a switch.... At first... I thought Leaf was my option and I should stick with Leaf! To make long story short, I tried calling.... left a messages, reading LL forum to keep me up to date of what is going on and still no replys, no deals, no progress! Friend of mine... introduced Jo Behar from Vistek (Hi Jo,:salute: if you're reading) and he was very quick, efficient and helpufull even after the sale.... saved me a ton of money in every respect and most importantly never watched time on his wrist:thumbup:

Obviously none of these systems are perfect! So, my point is.... to me convinience is priority numero uno and this is why I use Phase, everything else I can build around it!!!

Last edited:

Rethmeier

Pete,
I can relate to the term of "Gearheads"
After owning almost every camera brand,I decided to give Rollei a go and I know for sure that I did the right thing.
In 5 years time?
Who knows,maybe time to retire(62)?
Cheers,
Willem.

T

thsinar

David,

I don't think having been rude, in the contrary. All I am saying or asking for is to put a name under your words, because your accusations are grave and serious and do harm a company's name and its employes.

YES, you did not name a company, and now you are claiming that you don't make this company (which you don't name) responsible:

Here some of your quotes:

"... the dealer I bought my Leaf from failed to inform me ..."

"... and I made a commitment to NEVER dealing with this dealer group in Australia again ..."

"... and telling anyone who asks what a load of BS ..."

" ... I despise crooked dealers, lies mistruths and rip-offs ..."

" ... more to get away from these charlatans ..."

Hey Peter, those are very grave accusations, aren't they?
And you would like me to "shut up"? Let's remain serious. There are accusations and the accused (in this case I am a little part of it) have the right to answer and defend themselves. I give you the "chance" to speak out your real reasons to be angered, by contacting me off, and to shed some light and details about your experience, so why not taking it?

Do you honestly think that it is so difficult to find out who you are speaking about? I respect what you are saying and do not even doubt that you had this (bad) experience, all I am saying is that there is ALWAYS 2 sides in a story and that I like to know whom I am speaking to when such accusations are made. And don't forget one important thing: there are hundreds if not thousands reading here and in forums in general. One cannot make accusations such as yours without expecting an answer in return.

You say now that I should have contacted you via PM or email: actually I did make you this proposal in my first answer, that you contact me to clear things up.

"You can also contact me via PM: I would be glad to know more details about your claims".

And I still have much interest (as well as Sinar) to know more about this, of course.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry

Please stop naming companies and suggesting that that is what I have done.

I have made it PERFECTLY CLEAR that I hold NO COMPANY responsible for what happened to me - except to say that ANY COMPANY should make good to a client the promises , undertakings understandings entered into by a client as represented to him or her by an employee.

IF you have a problem with this as a way of doing business - just tell the forum. DO NOT suggest that my experience is is not possible - how rude!

IF you had any interest regarding my experience and felt that this MAY have been of interest to SINAR - then all you had to do was mail me privately.

Again I repeat to all would be MFD buyers - consider carefully the type of person whom you intend to deal with BEFORE you decide on what gear.

Guy - I have consciously entered into buying stuff to test for myself KNOWING that I woud change my mind and move on later - thats a fact of life for gearheads! LOL This is especialy true after going through the experiences related above - now I know I only have one person to blame - ME!

Different thing to be told one, two, three things and sold on this basis only to find out later it was all BS or wrong...sure maybe it was all my fault! LOL

Cheers
Pete

Last edited:
T

thsinar

Guy,

I am sorry, but I have to correct it once again: there were no camera or back issues like you suggest it. David has listed these issues here and all had nothing to do with a camera or back problem. In fact we (his dealer, myself and the tech people at Sinar) went through and explained/solved these "issues" within less than 24 hours.

That you prefer the Phase back is respectable, but don't say that David has struggled with his system because it did not work or had some issues, like it is suggested. I am the first to recognize and admit such, and am honest enough to do so, but let's stick to the facts.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Honestly after seeing david struggle with the Sinar ther was no way in hell i would go down that path. Sorry Sinar folks but be it new to the system or not the thing had issues. Not saying they all do but and maybe a rare case but turned me off immediately. Sorry i was not buying another camera that I had to fix or struggle with. Sorry Sinar folks that was my impression as well as everyone on the workshop( Please don't take that in a bad way there was some issues with his camera and back and just brought up memories ).

fotografz

Since we are into naming specifc dealers with endorsements for good personal service, I can say that my dealer Jim Arnosky of City Lights Stage in Troy, Michigan is one of the best I've ever dealt with ... and I've dealt with quite a few.

I cannot tell you how many hours Jim has patiently aided me in my quest to get the most from my Hasselblad digital system ... well beyond the usual good service that should be automatic with this type of purchase ... including setting up any purchase and checking it completly before personally deliveing it to my studio ... then spending hours setting up everything and demonstrating each feature ... he's been here multiple times.

Jim is an accomplished professional photographer himself, and works for City Lights Stage ... which formed a digital division to aid other professional photographers using their facility. He has a strong relationship with Hasselblad sales and support, and anything he doesn't know (which isn't much) he finds out immediately.

The key to this great relationship is straight up, cut through the BS and marketing retoric, information. More of a photographer's POV than that of a sales person's ... so if it's hype, he says so. Plus he looks out for me. When I ordered a CFV-II and the promo news of the 40IF bundle broke, he tracked me down to make sure I had the option before my camera was to ship that very day. When the H3D-II/31 promo price broke, he again tracked me down with an additional "special deal" which I leapt on in a NY heart beat.

Give him a call if interested in Hasselblad, (he represents other stuff, but my experience has been with that brand and the Rollei Xact2 I purchased from him):

(248) 589-9000

[email protected]

fotografz

My story: Let's go back a bit here when i was shooting film it was Hassy's and i always loved MF camera's but when i left a real job many moons ago i was stuck in a spot when MF backs were more like buying a new Porche. So i could not continue shooting MF and go to digital. I was reentering the public market again coming from 16 years of chief photographer of a big company and was laid off after 9/11 so money was at a premium. So i went DSLR Kodak 760 to be exact and than moved to canon and was really not happy with there glass. At that time I bought Zeiss and Leica glass to bolt on to the Canons. But I always struggled to get better images and noting would do it than I bought the DMR and M8 systems and they really proved to be the 35mm answer. But there slow, expensive and the M8 is hard to be the only boat at the dock. So i bought Nikon D300 and was really prepared to buy a D3 and even had 5k in my pocket when I went to Carmel. But something came over me and it was the same damn I had for 7 years with a DSLR and i said to myself i really am buying nothing more here with this purchase with image quality and hell folks if any of you have followed my purchases there has been a load of stuff and worse yet i was always the first one to get the new toy and worked my butt off to get stuff to work as they should.

Well this time i bought something that at least has been out awhile , I bought the Mamiya ZD and I knew what exactly would happen next move up more. But I wanted to get in the door. Also the last thing I need was another brick in my hands that i need to make better and when i was in San Juan playing with the Phase back, knowing of the support that i would get and the fact it took me 1 minute to figure out the back and shoot and get real results without dicking around. I want something that just works and works well. Honestly after seeing david struggle with the Sinar ther was no way in hell i would go down that path. Sorry Sinar folks but be it new to the system or not the thing had issues. Not saying they all do but and maybe a rare case but turned me off immediately. Sorry i was not buying another camera that I had to fix or struggle with. Sorry Sinar folks that was my impression as well as everyone on the workshop( Please don't take that in a bad way there was some issues with his camera and back and just brought up memories ). The other reason was lance and CI commitment to making me happy. The sturdy build great files and ease of use with the soft keys made me really like the Phase backs and also i used C1 for years and they just make great software for there camera's and one of the oldest in the business doing it. I chose the P25 for the 9 micron Kodak sensor also. i happen to think that is a sweet spot for a 22 mpx back. That has been my impression right or wrong. But i am very happy with my decision and better yet feel no need to upgrade anytime shortly. i actually think I found some peace within myself on gear and for s junkie like me that been pushing the image quality issue for so long that is saying a lot. Also I am tired of being the guinea pig with my money, I wanted something that has been tested and works. Bottom line I just want to shoot

Pardon my spelling been working on a book for the last 48 hours and haf had about 7 hours sleep total in those 2 days. Finally over the hump on it and return to a normal life soon without 8 cups of Espresso a day
Guy, IMO, this is the most revealing post here as it applies to working stiffs. For those that don't shoot to put bread on the table, there is less realization that the tool needs to sort of "disappear" into the background.

There are so many other aspects to making commercial images that dominate your time and mental energy, that the last thing you want is to be fussing with the gear. You pay a food stylist to get the stuff ready ... and when it is you better be ready to shoot now, as the window of freshness is small. Paying models by the hour with the client who's doing the paying watching every thin dime ... there is no time for "down time." Or some corporate CEO gives you 5 minutes to get the shot, and won't leave his office to do so ... or they bring the experimental car to the set with guards, and tell you you have it for an hour before it gets trucked to the auto show.

It's all well and good to talk all the nuances, and how doing this or that in this or that sequence will squeeze a nano amount more of IQ, but often all that goes out the window in the real world. Turn the sucker on and it better give me its best shot then and there. Finicky? No thanks. I had enough of finicky in the past.

Rethmeier

Please fotografz,
if this is referring to David K's issues, than you're of the mark.
At the moment there are hundreds of pros shooting with the Hy6/75LV combo with no problems or issues.
Cheers,
Willem.

N.B Nice pics on your post btw!

T

thsinar

I think that David has made it clear, after he discussed his issues with his dealer and our distributor, that they were not back or camera issues, but related to a lack of use and knowledge about certain settings.

I am surprised that this comes up again here in Guy's mouth and played high once more.

I do myself always speak out what I have in my heart, but I would always avoid to speak bad and than insist on it about any other brand than the one I do represent (and it happened that I DID speak bad about some Sinar related issues). I would think that mentioning it once would be enough.

I am not sure if doing so is helping anybody. What I am however sure of is that it will influence my way of posting here and that I will be more "careful" about what I show and what I tell.

To anybody: don't feel offended. I do simply speak it out how I feel it.

Best regards,
Thierry

Please fotografz,
if this is referring to David K's issues, than you're of the mark.
At the moment there are hundreds of pros shooting with the Hy6/75LV combo with no problems or issues.
Cheers,
Willem.

N.B Nice pics on your post btw!